front projectors

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Hello to all the Polksters,
I just recently turned my garage into a dedicated home theater room. This is my main hobby, where I spend 20% of my income on upgrading and software. No wife, no kids!!:), but supportive girlfriend. My equipment includes the following:

52" RCA TV (rear projection)
RT1000 (fronts)
CS400
FX500 (bipole)
CS245 (rear center)
PSW1200 (front sub)
Boston Acoustic (rear sub)
Monster powercenter
RCA digital satellite
Onkyo 787
Onkyo CD player
Onkyo DVD
JVC S-VCR
Playstation 2

I want to upgrade my TV, because my sound system has out grown it. Though, they seem to be taboo, I am very excited about all the front projection systems out today. :D Home Theater Magazine very rarely reviews them and I wonder why HT people are spending $5-10,000 on huge 300 lb rear projection TVs (i.e. 65"widescreens +)? New front projection systems run the same price or cheaper, and I think they are the wave of the future, for the HT enthusiasts. These projectors range in weight from 2 1/2 to 15 lbs and project images in digital quality on up to 300" screens. They also have several different mounting applications (i.e ceiling, floor, etc). Try getting a huge 300 lb TV repaired in a small town.:mad: Different viewing aspects are available at a click of a switch, 10x digital zoom and freeze, and also computer monitor ports. I get several HT interior magazines that promote front projection systems in all of their showcases. I am debating on an 80" and a 100" screen for my theater. Just for starters, can you imagine playing PS2 on a screen this size? For instance, Yamaha is putting out a new DLP model, that is not even for sale yet and some web sites are now accepting preorders. I am already bribing Santa for a loan this Christmas! This also gives me an excuse to put my annoying bright AV components to the back of the theater.
Has anyone recently bought a front projection system? If so, are you as excited about it as I am about getting one? Any enthusiastic responses or input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Home Theater Freak :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I have no experience here, but I have been reading about front projectors. I've never really seen one I LOVE, they always seem less than stellar to me; grainy or not clear enough. I could be spoiled by TV, tho.

I like the Sim2 Seleco model that looks like a sportscar. And we have one in the video conference room here at Polk that is way up by the ceiling and projects a pretty clear pic on a GIANT screen, but I don't know what brand it is.

I'm going to watch this thread, should be interesting.

BTW, I'm jealous of your garage HT! That sounds awesome!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I have an Infocus lp340V front projector, it has a built in line doubler and I am using it on a 84" diag screen. The screen is a Da-Lite high contrast grey screen. With DLP projectors they dont have the greatest blacks, so you need a screen that can compinsate for that. Main reason is so you do not have to drop your contrast level low. I have used mine only a few times because I am building a house that will have a theater and I thought I would try it out. I am very happy with it for only spending 3000 or so. The Infocus 340 has been compared with the Runco projector. Not that much of a difference except price and a little nicer projector but most people are very happy with them. Try avsforum.com and click on DLP and you will find anything that you would ever like to know about front projectors and also check out projectorcentral.com they have a ton of reviews on it. Good luck with it.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18