Dynaudio Audience 72's

Finally got to hook these puppies up. I had since separated my 2 channel from the HT, but decided to move them back together because the room just benefits the 2 channel side more than any other room in the house.

B&k Ref 4420 is powering them. Plenty of grunt for these inefficient speakers. Set up in the corner of a 26 by 24 room, which is basically the only place I can. Same spot as the legacys were in to tell the truth. The goal...was to gain back some of that dynamic slam, separation and air I sadly was missing. Not that the ERA D-5's were bad, they were actually very good, just way too small for the room and got gobbled up quick.

First try was without the sub on, SVS SB2000. I wasn't that impressed and started to worry if these were going to cut the mustard. A bit thin sounding, bass was ok, but not great. They are smallish speakers though in the world of floorstanders, and certainly breakfast for something of the Legacys size, but I could sense potential.

After a few adjustments, turned on the SVS, dialed it in, and threw on some Queen. Why Queen ? Most their songs have a dynamic swing to them, great low end and can showcase other areas of the audio spectrum.

Ahhh….now we're talking. The Dyne's came alive. That dynamic swing was profound, fast, articulate....start and stop on a dime while each speaker showcased the proper separation. Great midrange and high end, they have a smoothness to them without being dull. Cranking it up a bit, because I like to find a speakers limitations, it filled the room very well, no sense of strain. I could hear the high end get a bit noisy at higher volumes and knew I had found it's limits. While I like to play certain songs real loud, I could tell in this sized room, the Dyne's were stretching their capabilities at very loud levels. What's a very loud level ? Think around the plus side of your volume dial. An area you tread lightly and pay attention. I know what to listen for, the wife on the other hand....she'd bury the volume dial and not think twice. That's why I always try and find limitations, so I can convey that to the wife in a way she'd understand. Like....don't go over X on the volume.

All in all, I like them. Higher end sound for not a lot of scratch. Only thing I could wish for was a bit more tone from them. You'd think with the amp, pre amp, dac I'm using, I should have tone coming out my rear end, and normally I would, but these seem to not be affected all that much. Can't squeeze blood out of a turnip right ? Nor would I expect perfection at this price point. I'll keep these for a good period of time, as they satisfy my musical needs quite well. They really are a good sounding speaker, in spite of my nitpicks/preferences.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Those were my speaks at one point, liked them a lot. Smaller room than yours, and never had them on the plus side of the volume dial. Lol. But I had too many floorstanders. I was criticized roundly by some of my friends for letting them go. I never even used a sub, thought the bass and overall range of sound was pretty darn good, for the price point used especially hard to beat. Darn fine looking speakers with real wood veneer. They were toward the entry point for Dynaudio's IIRC nevertheless I felt they did a lot of things quite well. Thanks for the review.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    They do a lot quite well, no doubt. With the bass, ya have to remember what I'm used to. Bad part of that is one tends to use that as a measuring stick for everything that follows. Bad habit, I know, but it is what it is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    That is a large room to pressurize. I am glad you have the sub to help out. Since the Legacy had 3 12" woofers, outside of getting another set of legacy speakers, a sub is the only way to go.

Nice review! Even though I never heard them, I figured the mid or mid bass combo would be sweet on them.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I really like the 72's. They are fantastic speakers. That room in my opinion is a bit large for them. The Audience 82's would have been a better fit which is what I had many years ago.
    The 72's need proper separation and correct toe in. I don't know how you set them up but if you measure your distance from the middle of them and then measure to the left and right middle of the Tweeter they should be 3/4 the distance you sit from them apart.
    For Toe in point the tweeter right behind your head so you'll be able to see the sides of the speakers on the inside. Also tilting them back a little to get the tweeters to fire at ear level. From what I remember the tweeters sit a bit on the low side. I use to tilt them back just a bit with raising up the front of the speakers with the carpet spikes. I would lower the rear spikes all the way down and level the speaker from side to side.
    With these small setup corrections they will open up even more. I worked with Dynaudio many years ago on proper setup and placement of the the 70's then 72's up to the 82's of the Audience line and a full calibration on the Confidence line.
    Enjoy them man. Female voice is crazy on them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Great review and glad to see you are back on track with the good tunes in the big room.

I think some of Dynaudio's "entry" level speakers are pretty darn good. I loved the little DM 2/6 bookies I had. Wide soundstage, no listening fatigue, sweet midrange. Not enough bass for my living room so, like you, I augmented with a sub. SIlly good combo for a very modest investment.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Nice review. Sounds like a very enjoyable rig.

I'd love to hear the 72's, and the other lines for that matter. My 50's are the only ones I've ever heard. And I've enjoyed some fairly magical moments listening to those with the Dayens Menuetto (narrow cramped den at the beach, moderate volume, no sub, Sonos, Cambridge/Music Hall/Arcam dac). Have been considering a small sub - Rythmic L12 or SVS SB2000.

Agree on the excellent value of the line (based on my sample of one, hehe).
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • tonyb
    Dan, 7 feet apart center to center of the speaker. That's as wide as I can go being in a corner. Agreed on the setup tips also, I've done this a time or 2. :) Usually always aim the tweets behind my head by a few feet. Should also mention the off axis listening is also quite good. For such a small floorstander they have a lot to offer and can challenge many other bigger competitors. Another thing of note, is the solid build quality. I was surprised at their weight in comparison to their size. For the price on the used markets, some should get their ears on these in your home.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I think they are a great value at even full retail price due to how damn good they are.
    I hate this thread it's making me want another pair of Dynes.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    LOL, go for it man, wouldn't mind getting an ear on the 72se's to see how those improvements relate to the sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Forgot to add in my review, that they play extremely well at lower volumes too. They don't lose anything. Some speakers you have to raise the volume to get them going, not these. Not that it matters to my wife, she's balls out all the time on the volume dial.....and you guys wonder why I had to get a hearing aid. Surprisingly enough, her hearing is like a super power for her. Don't know how that works, should be the opposite.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Love the comment “don’t go over X in the volume”
    Wish mine liked it that loud. Always getting yelled at to turn it down.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    joecoulson wrote: »

Ask Bluefox about going over X :#:/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »

Ask Bluefox about going over X :#:/

indeed, learned a hard one there, costly one at that too. In my situation, if I don't give the wife an exact number, or spot, to not go over, all bets are off.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's