WTB: Comfortable and decent sounding Over Ear Headphones

Looking for a cheapish pair under the $100 range. They dont need to be amazing SQ, decent will work fine but they do need to be comfortable for wearing long periods of time.

Thanks!
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    The focal spirits in the FM sure look comfy...no idea how they sound
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    JBL e30s are what I have... The new E35s are supposed to be good as well. they can get a bit uncomfortable after two or so hours, but after taking them off and rubbing your ears for a second you are good to go again.
    And, they are apparently on sale right now, at $50 shipped. Usually are $70.
    https://www.jbl.com/over-ear-headphones/JBL+E35.html?cgid=over-ear-headphones&dwvar_JBL E35_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current#start=1
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited November 2018
    Out of stock sorry
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited November 2018
    If you are capping at $100, then I would at least look at the Hyper X Cloud 2 wired headphones...I highly recommend them.

I picked these up to use for occasional gaming but have turned into the shared family headset.

Coming from my Audio Technica ATH- M50, these are every bit as comfortable if not more comfortable. Sound quality, they fall short of the AT's but not by much, I was surprised they sounded as good as they do.

They are lighter and have less of a clamping effect, very comfortable for extended sessions....and the mic is removeable.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperx-cloud-ii-pro-wired-gaming-headset-red/4505300.p?skuId=4505300&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=299&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh__tpre-3gIViLHtCh3EBAFhEAQYBSABEgLqQ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • rooftop59 wrote: »

They indeed do and the interwebs state they sound good but I can get them new from Focal for $79. I may just go that route however I read some issues with build quality, albeit at that price range I can't hate on them.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Out of stock sorry

Dude, I KNOW you have some Sennheisers laying around you want to get rid of, I see you following all those massdrop headphone posts. =P

Thing is with so many headphones on the market it can be hard to weed through the good and bad. Yes I can rely on name recognition from the big 5 manufacturers but with that comes a price and with that price comes the bottom of the line.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • afterburnt
    edited November 2018
    rooftop59 wrote: »

They indeed do and the interwebs state they sound good but I can get them new from Focal for $79. I may just go that route however I read some issues with build quality, albeit at that price range I can't hate on them.
    Out of stock sorry

Dude, I KNOW you have some Sennheisers laying around you want to get rid of, I see you following all those massdrop headphone posts. =P

Thing is with so many headphones on the market it can be hard to weed through the good and bad. Yes I can rely on name recognition from the big 5 manufacturers but with that comes a price and with that price comes the bottom of the line.

I don't remember which is which but you are welcome the open back 5??'s lmk

They are the ones that you can allegedly modify to the version Skip is talking about.
  • afterburnt
    All you need is some duck tape or something
  • afterburnt wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Out of stock sorry

I don't remember which is which but you are welcome the open back 5??'s lmk

They are the ones that you can allegedly modify to the version Skip is talking about.

Oh I was just giving you a hard time buddy. I forgot to mention they have to be closed back but I think I was able to score some crappy JBLs that she likes.

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Are you looking for open back or closed? For open back the Grado SR80e is a great set of cans.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Look used but Beyerdynamic DT-770s are my favorite can.

I wear glasses and they don’t clamp hard, my ears don’t sweat, they stay secure easy, and I forget I’ve got em on they are so comfortable.....

Get the right ohm load.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • skrol wrote: »
    Are you looking for open back or closed? For open back the Grado SR80e is a great set of cans.

Closed in this case. I had some of those Grados and I LOVED the sound but my ears would be on fire after an hour. Hard to beat the sound for the price though.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I have a pair of first version Sennheiser Momentums in brown that I'd sell. As long as you don't have dumbo sized ears they are comfortable & they sound great. $80 shipped. Can get pics if you're interested.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    ^Great headphones at a great price!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I have a pair of first version Sennheiser Momentums in brown that I'd sell. As long as you don't have dumbo sized ears they are comfortable & they sound great. $80 shipped. Can get pics if you're interested.

That counts me out.... :p
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    I've got a pair of those Senns and they are very comfortable. I think (?) they sell occasionally at $99--Yeah, just looked it up and I bought them at the time of this link. No telling if/when they hit that price again.

Momentums above could work very well for you. Lots of fans of those, but I haven't heard them.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    BTW, The Focals for $79 on Amazon are the Focal Spirit One S which is *not* the Focal Spirit One that is being sold in the FM.

The Spirit One being sold on the FM retails for $279 and can be found here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Focal-529102-SPOH-Spirit-One-Headphones/dp/B007AH7YFU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541829355&sr=8-4&keywords=Focal+Spirit+One

They are NOT these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Focal-Spirit-One-Premium-Headphones/dp/B00KFQMIVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541829355&sr=8-1&keywords=Focal+Spirit+One

They are NOT the same. The ones on the FM are an amazing deal in the Focal lineup.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    In fact, I am sitting on the fence on buying them myself...the only hold up is that I already have 3 sets of cans and they are all direct competitors with those.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    In fact, I am sitting on the fence on buying them myself...the only hold up is that I already have 3 sets of cans and they are all direct competitors with those.

Thunderdome! 4 headphone enter, only 3 return
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL wrote: »

Get them dude! Tell me how they sound on the little dot.

• EndersShadow
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

He cant....... His little dot now resides with me and its mine :smile:

Now I cant afford either the Momentums or Focals, but I'd be happy for you to buy them, ship them to me, and after a fair amount of time I can provide your review :smile:
  • ZLTFUL wrote: »

He cant....... His little dot now resides with me and its mine :smile:

Now I cant afford either the Momentums or Focals, but I'd be happy for you to buy them, ship them to me, and after a fair amount of time I can provide your review :smile:

You know that sounds like a good plan, smooth it over with my wife and they are yours.

Love my Little dot btw, @ZLTFUL helped me pick out replacement tubes for it a d I have had a ball ever since. What are you rocking it with? I can tell you that it pairs great with Fidelio L2s.