Good powered subwoofers to pair with original sda srs

I want to get a pair of powered subs to pair up with my sda's. Is there any decent subs that will pair good with these that won't break the bank? I found a couple cerwin Vega 15s that look decent and affordable. I might be over thinking this but better to be safe than sorry.

Comments

• motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 843
    I use a single 18'' definitive technology sub with my 1.2tl's with good results. I had 2 of them but I like a single one better. I run the Polks full range and use the sub on it's 40hz setting and about 1/4 volume on it's internal amp to add just a little bit on the bottom end
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,510
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• F1nut wrote: »

At over 5 grand this one is not in my budget hahah. As I was looking through some subs and realizing a decent set is going to cost me more than I want to spend, I'm thinking of going with a passive set of subs. I have a crown ps 400 that can pump out some decent power that is doing nothing. Any suggestions on passive subs? And also that cost no where near that much. Also I'm wondering if a 18" sub can keep up speed wise? I mean at 5700 bucks it better do more than that hahaha. But again I'm not planning on spending anywhere near that.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,022
    Are you powering the srs properly?
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Are you powering the srs properly?

Yes the srs make plenty of bass, but I have some nulls in my room I'm trying to take care of. I'm hoping some properly positioned subs will help.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,510
    F1nut wrote: »

At over 5 grand this one is not in my budget hahah. As I was looking through some subs and realizing a decent set is going to cost me more than I want to spend, I'm thinking of going with a passive set of subs. I have a crown ps 400 that can pump out some decent power that is doing nothing. Any suggestions on passive subs? And also that cost no where near that much. Also I'm wondering if a 18" sub can keep up speed wise? I mean at 5700 bucks it better do more than that hahaha. But again I'm not planning on spending anywhere near that.

That sub is faster than your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• F1nut wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

That sub is faster than your speakers.

For that price it better be faster than my car ahhaahah
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,937
    edited November 4
    Are you using any acoustic treatment such as bass traps? IMO that is the first step before adding subs.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• SCompRacer wrote: »
    Are you using any acoustic treatment such as bass traps? IMO that is the first step before adding subs.

I have some acoustic treatment but not really bass traps. To really be effective they have to be pretty big it seems and I don't know if I have room for them. I most likely have room on the wall the speakers are on but definetly don't have room in the back corners.
  • IrrenhausIrrenhaus Posts: 759
    Hi,

I use SVS SB12-NSD with my SDA-1C but also check Rythmik Audio I have the F25 for HT work and is great.

Cheers
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RT150
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-Rythmik audio F25
    Player- Oppo BDP-103

Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30...Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player....Polk Audio LS70
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 731
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Agreed 100%. I have always thrown more subs at a bass problem. After installing 6 bass traps in the room the bass has never sounded this good. Mush more accurate, tight and musical. It made all the diff in the world. d1ut8zz06e17.jpg
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 731
    edited November 4
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I have some acoustic treatment but not really bass traps. To really be effective they have to be pretty big it seems and I don't know if I have room for them. I most likely have room on the wall the speakers are on but definetly don't have room in the back corners.

That don't have to be that big to work. I have 4 on the front corners and 2 in the rear.

I have Auralex LENRD Bass Traps. ZZSOUNDS will beat any price you find. They price matched their 4 part set for $169.00. I dont remember where I found the 169 price.
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,046
    This is the company you want to look at if you want musical bass performance. http://www.jlaudio.ca/home-audio-powered-subwoofers-e-sub
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,243
    edited November 5
    Your bass will build up in the corners, any chance you can get something into the corner but not protruding into the room, basically rounding off just the corner.

You could get yourself into a situation that adding more bass could mask more of your midbass/ midrange creating even more problems.

• gmcman wrote: »
    Your bass will build up in the corners, any chance you can get something into the corner but not protruding into the room, basically rounding off just the corner.

You could get yourself into a situation that adding more bass could mask more of your midbass/ midrange creating even more problems.

I decided to build to big bass traps for the front corners ceiling to floor, and then see where I stand. I hope it helps.
  • So I plan on making 2 super chunk style bass traps for the corners on the sides of my sda's. The speakers are at least the minimum distance from the wall they should be (3feet I think they call for) but the bass traps will be taking up some of that space. Will this mess with imaging or wreak havoc on the sda? I don't think it will but I'm also good at over thinking things. Any thoughts?
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 843
    FWIW It didn't change anything when I added floor to ceiling corner traps behind my sda's.
  • FWIW It didn't change anything when I added floor to ceiling corner traps behind my sda's.

Awsome.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,022
    Walk around your room and figure out if you have standing waves.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,688
    I went on the corners of my listening space. Made a huge difference...by bass traps I mean thick pillows hahaha.

Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Hope my wife doesn't see this and wonder where the couch pillows went. :s
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • BMF35BMF35 Posts: 44
    The Cerwin Vega powered 15" is large in size and in output. It plays very lows and makes the house next to you buzz and rattle in movies like Predator and Top Gun. For music though I like their 12" version a little better. It's not as boomy and has more detail. I own both and have spent quite a bit of time with each of them. Not just repeating what someone said a year ago that probably had zero experience in the first place.