VTL 120/50 Stereo Tube Amp

2»

Comments

• W WALDECKERW WALDECKER Posts: 895
    I used to own a pair of VTL ST100 monoblocks and a ST150 Stereo amp. I still own a 2.5 preamp and a ST85 power amp. David Manley was one of the worlds best tube amp designers. my advice is that if you can afford it try to get something new with a warranty.
    Bob Carver Crimson 275 stereo tube amplifier - DeHaviland Ultraverve 3 preamplifier.Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Highland 3.5 loudspeakers
  • verbverb Posts: 3,681
    Thanks everyone for your input. In the end, I was able to negotiate the price down a bit, but decided to pass on this piece.

And the journey continues! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,570
    Aw, man, you're looking at this all wrong. Buy a tube amp and get different, more efficient speakers to pair with the tube set up...then, start looking for a really good SS amp to pair with the SDS's. Problem solved.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,383
    edited October 28
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Aw, man, you're looking at this all wrong. Buy a tube amp and get different, more efficient speakers to pair with the tube set up...then, start looking for a really good SS amp to pair with the SDS's. Problem solved.

He's got -- if memory serves -- a Bottlehead S*E*X amplifier just waitin' to be aroused umm, I mean, rehabbed.

:)

Fleapower, baby!
    edited October 28
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

He's got -- if memory serves -- a Bottlehead S*E*X amplifier just waitin' to be aroused umm, I mean, rehabbed.

Fleapower, baby!

Correct Professor! Just waiting for a nice pair of high efficiency speakers!

I may say, that my SS CJ handles the SRS's with ease. That paired with the VTL pre, I can see why so many here rave about the tube pre/SS power amp setup!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,383
    verb wrote: »

Correct Professor! Just waiting for a nice of high efficiency speakers!

D'oh!
    I guess perhaps I should do something about that... :p

D'oh!

Edited comment to include the word pair ! :smile:
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,956

Fleapower, baby!

I may say, that my SS CJ handles the SRS's with ease. That paired with the VTL pre, I can see why so many here rave about the tube pre/SS power amp setup!

Yep, if you have big speakers, the tube pre /SS amp combo will have you slapping the monkey. Tube amps have their own special allure also, but better speaker matching is the name of that game. Unless you can afford the bigger tube amps. Tube power around the 100 watt + area is going to cost ya some donuts.

HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    tonyb wrote: »

Fleapower, baby!

Yep, if you have big speakers, the tube pre /SS amp combo will have you slapping the monkey. Tube amps have their own special allure also, but better speaker matching is the name of that game. Unless you can afford the bigger tube amps. Tube power around the 100 watt + area is going to cost ya some donuts.

This CJ looks like it may do the trick!
    s0xh1vfypzs7.png

D'oh!

Uh, yeah! :smile: Ready to do a joint venture at the Harvard town dump! :smile:
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,840

D'oh!

Uh, yeah! :smile: Ready to do a joint venture at the Harvard town dump! :smile:

Hmm...I'm only 46minutes from the audio Mecca. 45 minutes if I drive on the sidewalks...
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Reduction & Crack w/Speedball
  • sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 325
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 4B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton One
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65-Z9F

Home Theater
    Reciever: Yamaha CX-A5100
    Amp: Parasound A21, A31, A51
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 703 (FL, FR, RL, RR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB13 x 4 +DSPeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Rocket 88, Pangea SE XLR
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR75X940D
    sgmsmg wrote: »

Small world. This is the same guy who was selling the 120/50 Amp! He also has it listed on eBay.
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,750
    Get those Phillips Holland tubes in there! I have so many different variants of these tubes. Those big O getter tubes are great tubes man! I have those in a 7025A and 12AU7A and are one of my favorite tubes. I always go back to them time and time again. Such a great balance of midrange warmth, smooth top end, excellent dynamics and deep tight bass. System depending, you will love them. Try some hamburgs if you can. I have some 1960 short plates in my phono stage with my Holland 7025A and the combo is sweeet!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,750
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Get those Phillips Holland tubes in there! I have so many different variants of these tubes. Those big O getter tubes are great tubes man! I have those in a 7025A and 12AU7A and are one of my favorite tubes. I always go back to them time and time again. Such a great balance of midrange warmth, smooth top end, excellent dynamics and deep tight bass. System depending, you will love them. Try some hamburgs if you can. I have some 1960 short plates in my phono stage with my Holland 7025A and the combo is sweeet!

Holy crap. I’m losing it. Thought this was the vtl preamp thread! Ahhhhhh....
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Hehe. No worries my man. I was scratching my head! :smile:
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,903

Hehe. No worries my man. I was scratching my head! :smile:

He's Canerdian. They're a bit off come this time of year.
2»