SDA SRS 2.3 top end almost non existent, how can I fix this?

Options
Allyn71
Allyn71 Posts: 1
edited October 2018 in Troubleshooting
Hi I don't know why I have no top end. I have checked the tweeters they do play but they are so low, and nowhere near as crisp as my other polks .

I have already bypassee the protection switch for the tweakers. I am wondering what else I can do to troubleshoot the lack of top end. I was thinking about using the wiring diagram to check each Tweeter separately as well as if there's a way to check the crossover removed.

In an attempt to try to get some top end I had wired an EQ in and the top end came out, this is not at all what I would like to do. Any suggestions welcome.

Answers

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    A crossover rebuild and replacement of your tweeters with RDo-198's is in order, given the age of the speakers at this point.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The SL2000 tweeters should sound like ice picks in your ears, so it seems you definitely have a problem. The 3 tweeters per cabinet are a progessive point source, so if the full range tweeter (the top one) is bad the top end will sound muted. Try swapping the bottom tweeters with the top.

What exactly did you do to bypass the polyswitch?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    A crossover rebuild and replacement of your tweeters with RDo-198's is in order, given the age of the speakers at this point.

He apparently has 2.3's, so those would be the wrong tweeter.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Wired out of phase maybe? I don't know if it would work the same as woofers in that regard. Would it have the same cancellation effect for a tweeter?
    The above options are more likely, just throwing out a possibility. :)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Wired out of phase maybe? I don't know if it would work the same as woofers in that regard. Would it have the same cancellation effect for a tweeter?
    The above options are more likely, just throwing out a possibility. :)

It would sound more like comb filtering if out of phase within the line array.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Don't ya love it when someone comes asking for help and promptly disappears.

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Don't ya love it when someone comes asking for help and promptly disappears.
    Indeed.
    Might want to check the jumper on the binding posts for corrosion also.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/