SDA CRS Help

I recently picked up a pair of SDA CRS speakers for $50.00. They appear to be the original series, with the single tweeter. The previous owner had replaced one of the 6.5 inch drivers in each speaker with a Radio Shack generic woofer. :o There is also no interconnect cable with the speakers. I have a few questions.

1) I have a pair of Polk RTA 8 towers with cabinets that are pretty beat up but still sound great. Can I pull the drivers from the 8s, and replace them in pairs in my SDA CRS speakers?

2) Are these 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm speakers? My (old) multi-meter only has a 1000K setting, and won't read the impedance - just that there is continuity. My receiver would like to know the impedance!

3) I want to build my own interconnect cable. I figured I would replace the two-blade jacks on the back of the speakers with either a 1/4 inch phono jack, or banana-plug terminals. Does the original interconnect cable connect terminal A to A and B to B, or does it "cross" A to B and B to A? Does the interconnect cable have to be a specific length? A guy at a local vintage audio repair center thought the cable needed to be 19 feet long, but he wasn't sure.

My current systems are a pair of Polk RTA 11t towers (1992) driven by a Carver MXR-150 Receiver, and a pair of Polk RTA 12 speakers (1986?) driven by a 1976 Akai AA-1050 Receiver for playing my records. Not as "present" as the 11s, but a much more "vintage" sound that complements the turntable. I'm planning on using the SDA CRS speakers with either a Pioneer SA-737 or my original receiver that I bought new in 1982 at Tweeter, Etc. It is a Denon DRA-400, putting out 40 wpc with plenty of headroom. I have been using the Denon with a pair of Polk Monitor 5s speakers for the past 35 years, and they sound great. I generally don't crank that system the way I do the others, so I figured the SDAs would give me better imaging at normal listening levels than the 5s.

Comments

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,884
    First, yours are CRS+, the earlier variants had 2 tweets.

1: no, the MW models are different between the two. You want mw6510s in all positions. Iirc, they can still be had through Polk as new.

2: 6? with the ability to dip lower

3: A-A, B-B.

Rock that Denon.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,688
    edited October 22
    FestYboy wrote: »
    First, yours are CRS+, the earlier variants had 2 tweets.

1: no, the MW models are different between the two. You want mw6510s in all positions. Iirc, they can still be had through Polk as new.

2: 6? with the ability to dip lower

3: A-A, B-B.

Rock that Denon.

6510 and 6511 for the dimensional (driver on the right of the speaker baffle).

I believe that the 6511 is available from Polk too.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,510
    edited October 22

No, the blade/blade CRS+ uses all 6510's.
    3) I want to build my own interconnect cable. I figured I would replace the two-blade jacks on the back of the speakers with either a 1/4 inch phono jack, or banana-plug terminals. Does the original interconnect cable connect terminal A to A and B to B, or does it "cross" A to B and B to A? Does the interconnect cable have to be a specific length? A guy at a local vintage audio repair center thought the cable needed to be 19 feet long, but he wasn't sure.

Poor connector choices, use 4 pole Neutrik SpeakOn connectors. A search here will show you what they are and which ones to buy. Use high quality speaker cable for your SDA cable. That does not mean 16 gauge zip cord. The SDA cable can be any length.

I'm sorry, but none of your power sources will come close to properly driving those speakers. Yes, you will get sound, but it won't be close to what they are capable of. BTW, high powered amps are not only about playing loud. They are more about producing a nice full sound at lower levels.

Seriously consider replacing those nasty SL2000 tweeters with the RD0194 available from Polk.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,688
    F1nut wrote: »

No, the blade/blade CRS+ uses all 6510's.

Poor connector choices, use 4 pole Neutrik SpeakOn connectors. A search here will show you what they are and which ones to buy. Use high quality speaker cable for your SDA cable. That does not mean 16 gauge zip cord. The SDA cable can be any length.

I'm sorry, but none of your power sources will come close to properly driving those speakers. Yes, you will get sound, but it won't be close to what they are capable of. BTW, high powered amps are not only about playing loud. They are more about producing a nice full sound at lower levels.

Seriously consider replacing those nasty SL2000 tweeters with the RD0194 available from Polk.

Overlooked the third paragraph, my apologies!
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    No need for that. B)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• ptraskptrask Posts: 5
    I am fully aware of the advantages of high powered receivers. This system is set up in my bedroom, where I mainly listen to classical music using an old Technics turntable. I think the CRS speakers will be fine with a lower powered amp driving them. I have a number of higher powered options, but don’t expect that they will be needed with what I intend here. I’m more interested in getting the imaging right.
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,887
    @ptrask do you work on cars? Reason I ask is we recently lost a Canuck who really knew his way around a garage. Kinda miss that guy. :'(
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    I work on a little of everything - when I have time. However, I am not Canadian. That is a picture from the front deck of our vacation house on Prince Edward Island.
    Oh well that's close enough. By the way welcome to the forum. May you enjoy your stay. :)
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    I am fully aware of the advantages of high powered receivers

There are no advantages to any receiver.

Okay - I've been searching online, and everywhere I look it says that the MW 6510 is discontinued, and that the recommended replacement is the MW 6503. Any thoughts?
    Call Polk

Call Polk

You have a number?
    ptrask wrote: »
    Call Polk

You have a number?

(800)377-7655
  • 1 800 377 7655. polk customer service.
    Monitor 4.6, 5jr, 5, 7, 10, 11. RTA 8TL. RTA 11T. SDA 2B.
  • 1 800 377 7655. polk customer service.
    Monitor 4.6, 5jr, 5, 7, 10, 11. RTA 8TL. RTA 11T. SDA 2B.