Speaker wire for Pre Out signal?

Question: Is it possible to use speaker wire as an RCA cable for the pre out signal from the Receiver to the External Amp?

I have my speaker wire ran in the walls, and dont like the idea of having wires ran all over the floor. Is it possible, if I wanted to have the external amps next to the speakers themselves and run the pre out signal using the speaker wire in the wall?

On a side note, its all 12g red/black lines. Is there any actual benefit from doing this? Was curious if having a shorter speaker run and "expensive speaker cables" would actually warrant a better sound experience. Or is it snake oil?
Home Theater Setup
  • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
  • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
  • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R
  • Center - Polk CSiA6
  • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
  • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
  • Sub - Polk PSW505
  • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,510
    RCA cables are shielded, speaker cable isn't. Therefore, you cannot use speaker cable.

There's nothing snake oil about high end cable only people that can't afford them, don't have gear with enough resolution to benefit from them or are deaf.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,383
    As @F1nut said -- in a word (OK, three words): umm, yeah, no.

Speaker cable (zip) cord could be used if one 'unzipped' the two conductors, made a twisted pair of wires from them (with the insulation still on, of course) then stripped and tinned the ends and soldered RCA connectors to each end of each twisted pair... but the result would most likely be inferior to any good unbalanced cable you can buy.

Just buy the cables you need and run 'em through the wall if you wish; did you install a 'plenum' for the speaker cabling when you built the room (or had it built)?
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,968
    Where are the rest of the electronics located ? There are other options to tidy up cables so that visually they are barely noticed.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • TheheadsnTheheadsn Posts: 388
    it was mainly just question I was thinking about. Didnt know if it was possible. Makes sense why it wouldnt be, just wasnt sure if I was missing something. I personally would probably never need to have my external amps like that as I'm not running super high end equipment in a dedicated sound room. This is all in my living room where environmental corrections would work wonders before upgrading to fancy speak wires
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - Polk PSW505
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• tonybtonyb Posts: 29,968
    I'm confused....if everything is in your living room, why do you have in-wall speaker wires to the fronts ?
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,022
    edited October 17
    Theheadsn wrote: »
    it was mainly just question I was thinking about. Didnt know if it was possible. Makes sense why it wouldnt be, just wasnt sure if I was missing something. I personally would probably never need to have my external amps like that as I'm not running super high end equipment in a dedicated sound room. This is all in my living room where environmental corrections would work wonders before upgrading to fancy speak wires

Room correction only focuses on tonal balance where the mic is located. It does nothing to improve stereophonic elements and in most cases the program can be detrimental to those elements. I spent hours doing corrections at AXPONA and had to throw it all out due to a soundstage completely stuck between the speakers. I got rid of the corrections and the soundstage pushed well beyond the walls in the sweet spot.

Cables improve these elements.

I know this probably doesn't matter given the situation but I did want to touch on it some.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm confused....if everything is in your living room, why do you have in-wall speaker wires to the fronts ?

My media rack is in a different location. Have the TV and speakers located by my fireplace, receiver and the like are on the adjacent wall. Recently redid the house, so I was able to run everything in the walls.
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - Polk PSW505
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

DSkip wrote: »

Room correction only focuses on tonal balance where the mic is located. It does nothing to improve stereophonic elements and in most cases the program can be detrimental to those elements. I spent hours doing corrections at AXPONA and had to throw it all out due to a soundstage completely stuck between the speakers. I got rid of the corrections and the soundstage pushed well beyond the walls in the sweet spot.

Cables improve these elements.

I know this probably doesn't matter given the situation but I did want to touch on it some.

I mean more of physical objects in my living room. My living room/kitchen/dining room is all open concept, all tile floor, not a lot of furniture. So right now its sonically an audiophiles nightmare, if not just a headache lol I understand I wont be able to dial it in like I had my garage BECAUSE its a living room, but hopefully I'll be able to get more ways to reduce reflection
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - Polk PSW505
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,022
    ap2.jpg
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,527
    why not just put the amp next to the AVR?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    mrloren wrote: »

it is now. Was just curious if having a short over expensive speaker wire with the amp right next to the speaker would actually show any noticeable differences
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - Polk PSW505
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• delkaldelkal Posts: 330
    edited October 17
    mrloren wrote: »

it is now. Was just curious if having a short over expensive speaker wire with the amp right next to the speaker would actually show any noticeable differences

It will not sound better. I would go the other way. A medium to good quality (or the sky is the limit) shortest possible RCA cable between your preamp and amp. Then cheap large gauge speaker cables (to start). Upgrade your speaker cables when you think you need to. Or just be happy with your AV setup.

It has to do with the impedance between components. Long RCA cables are much more problematic than even longer speaker wires.