AV Receiver to Integrated Amp Question

2»

Comments

• mark090852mark090852 Posts: 787
    edited October 14
    F1nut wrote: »
    mark090852 wrote: »
    Forget streaming, get a damn nice SACD/CD player to go with that nice integrated amp.

I also have an Oppo UDP-203 that will be connected to it, spinning CDs and SACDs. But my wife has several favorite Pandora stations that she frequently listens to while working and in the evenings. When shopping for the integrated, I told her "yes, I'll figure out a way for you to still listen to your Pandora stations on this system". You married guys understand my predicament I'm sure. lol

That model is not known for quality sound.

I think the sound is fantastic. SACDs sound great to us.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers.
    Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,508
    Ok, well even Oppo said it wasn't that good. That's why they made the 205.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

edited October 14
    A lot of people are paying 3 or more times MSRP to get one used now. The sound can't be too bad.
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers.
    Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, Polk Signature S20 speakers.
    edited October 14
    The 203 is an excellent video player, which is why people are buying that model. The only difference between the 203 and 205 is the audio quality. That's why the 205 was much more expensive.

I'm just trying to help you get quality sound. If you heard a better player I'm sure you would hear what I'm talking about.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

I'm sure you are right. But excellent video with poor sound would not sell. It is certainly true that there is better sound available and most of it costs a lot more money. I'm sure the 205 has much better sound. But the 203 has very good sound, just not the best. I will never be able to afford the best...but I hope to have very good sound within my budget.
    Good sound from video isn't difficult to obtain, music is much harder. I wasn't talking about getting the best sound, just better. Heck, I can't afford the best either.

If you get the chance to demo a better SACD/CD player, do so.

Good sound from video isn't difficult to obtain, music is much harder. I wasn't talking about getting the best sound, just better. Heck, I can't afford the best either.

If you get the chance to demo a better SACD/CD player, do so.

I respect your opinion and advice and would love to do that if given a chance. If Skip does drive out to "finger wag" in my face, maybe I can talk him into bringing something for me to demo. :D
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,570
    edited October 14
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have to agree with Skip here. Considering your going to use Amazon and Pandora as your source, there is no point to the integrated. Leave her play those things on the receiver and maybe start a second system around the Mac.

I thought the OPPO had it's own apps for music anyway.....or am I thinking of something else ?
    I know the sound is not worthy of an amp like this, but my wife is worthy (to me) of an attempt on my part to make this happen.

Well, there goes my suggestion...I was thinking just divorce her, give her the Yamaha system and start from there, but never mind. I guess I'm a little more hard core in my addiction. :)
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

kharp1 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have to agree with Skip here. Considering your going to use Amazon and Pandora as your source, there is no point to the integrated. Leave her play those things on the receiver and maybe start a second system around the Mac.

I thought the OPPO had it's own apps for music anyway.....or am I thinking of something else ?
    I know the sound is not worthy of an amp like this, but my wife is worthy (to me) of an attempt on my part to make this happen.

Well, there goes my suggestion...I was thinking just divorce her, give her the Yamaha system and start from there, but never mind. I guess I'm a little more hard core in my addiction. :)

Hmmm...duly noted and I'll have to give your idea some thought...

Seriously though, she is a keeper and indulges my hobbies without complaining. Cars, motorcycles, audio. She likes to participate in the excitement of new stuff. She even got her motorcycle license and her own bike and rode with me for a few years. Yesterday, when at the McIntosh dealer, she encouraged me to get the amp. She liked the looks of it enough to want it in our living room as a conversation piece. Never mind the great sound, or lack of great sound with Pandora, she loved the way it looked. Who was I to deny her? lol
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,570
    That's a keeper!!
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• verbverb Posts: 3,681
    Sounds like you got yourself a fine woman my man!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions. I think I am going to email @DSkip and see what options he might have for an audiophile grade streamer that I could connect to the McIntosh integrated. Then maybe a Tidal HiFi subscription.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,956
    Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions. I think I am going to email @DSkip and see what options he might have for an audiophile grade streamer that I could connect to the McIntosh integrated. Then maybe a Tidal HiFi subscription.

Don't forget to budget in there a dac too, and associated cables.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-