Thoughts and Prayers for our Florida Polkies

2»

Comments

• StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • StevieB
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • StevieB
  • What a disaster! From what I hear, so many of these who stayed behind and rode it out are missing. I'm sure we will learn much more in the coming days.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    How many countries will line up to send aid and help like we do for them?

Guessing NONE!

And we won’t be seeing a star studded telethon for the victims of these storms either.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    How many countries will line up to send aid and help like we do for them?

Guessing NONE!

And we won’t be seeing a star studded telethon for the victims of these storms either.

I wonder why that would be.... aren't we all brothers and sisters?

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    I won't mind if the gator don't mind TB

vc5sdqawsyl6.png

He's really got Russ on his menu tho... He prefers BBQ to Italian lucky for you.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited October 2018
    How did I know you would post that Mikey....LMFAO

Calling @treitz3 I hear him and Tony have a "thing"
  • nooshinjohn
    How did I know you would post that Mikey....LMFAO

Calling @treitz3 I hear him and Tony have a "thing"

That's called being three steps up on an Italian. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mikey081057
    I bet @tonyb 's affinity for concrete subsides when there is a gator in the mix...

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I bet @tonyb 's affinity for concrete subsides when there is a gator in the mix...

yea he'll be god like with that walking on water thing
  • nooshinjohn
    From the New York Times...

As the monster storm barreled toward the Florida coast this week, the Air Force worked to minimize possible destruction. Tyndall is home to the largest group of F-22 stealth fighters — 55 of them, each costing a dizzying $339 million. At least 33 of the stealth fighters and about 17 trainer jets were flown to safety, to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. Planes from nearby Hurlburt Field and Eglin Air Force Base also fled inland in the days before the storm.
    But not all of the stealth fighters were saved. Photos and video from the wreckage of the base showed the distinctive contours of its squared tail fins and angled vertical stabilizers jumbled among the rubble of the base’s largest building, Hangar 5. Another photo shows the distinctive jet in a smaller hangar that had its doors ripped off by wind.

An Air Force spokeswoman, Maj. Malinda Singleton, declined on Friday to say how many of the delicate stealth fighters had been left behind, but said a number remained because of “maintenance or safety reasons, and all of those hangars are damaged.”
    “We anticipate the aircraft parked inside may be damaged as well,” she continued, “but we won’t know the extent until our crews can safely enter those hangars and make an assessment.”
    According to a base briefing, the high-tech and notoriously finicky jets are not always flight-worthy. An Air Force report this year found that on average, only about 49 percent of F-22s were ready at any given time.

The Air Force’s strategy to sidestep risk was starkly different from the Marine Corps’ decision last month to face off against Hurricane Florence and not evacuate Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. At the time, Camp Lejeune’s commander, Brig. Gen. Julian Alford, said he had the supplies and equipment to brave the storm, noting, “finally, we have Marines who will be ready to assist and take care of each other.”
    But the Air Force’s mission is centered on delicate and astronomically expensive aircraft, and a culture that thinks little of traveling several hundred miles in an afternoon. So when storms threaten, the force tends to fly rather than fight.
    “Wing commanders make the call,” Major Singleton said. “If there is a potential threat they are prepared to minimize damage.”

Only a few planes secured in hangars and a small “ride out element” of airmen stayed behind during Hurricane Michael.

Its aftermath was both devastating and remarkable, with helicopter footage of the base Thursday morning showing hangars that had easily survived past storms now riddled with gaping holes. At least three twin-engine propeller planes owned by a contractor and used for training were buried in debris from the wreckage of the largest hangar, which also housed at least five QF-16 jets — retired fighters that have been stripped down and turned into drones and used as target practice. Those, too, were entombed beneath what was left of the building.

In a Facebook post late Thursday, base leaders said many of the buildings were “a complete loss.” The marina, its structures and docks were also destroyed. Power lines and trees blocked nearly every road, and utilities and electricity had not been turned back on.

The destruction of an air force base can only be matched in scope by the pounding that Hurricane Andrew gave Homestead Air Force Base, just south of Miami, in 1992. That Category 5 storm, with winds estimated at 150 m.p.h., smashed hangars and left battered fighter jets and mammoth cargo planes in pieces on the runway. Nearly all of the surviving planes and personnel were reassigned to other bases. Two years later, it reopened as a smaller, Air Force Reserve base.

The Air Force was unable to say Thursday when Tyndall might resume operations. Other Air Force and Navy bases in the area, which were spared the brunt of the storm, reopened in a limited capacity Thursday.

Tyndall, where about 3,600 airmen are stationed, sits on 29,000 acres that include undeveloped woods and beaches, as well as stores, restaurants, schools, a bowling alley and quiet, tree-lined streets with hundreds of homes for both active-duty and retired military. Video footage captured the ruin there, too: The high-powered storm skinned roofs, shattered windows, and tossed cars and trailers like toys, transforming the normally pristine base into a trash heap. Multistory barracks buildings stood open to the sky.

The Air Force said Thursday that recovery teams conducted an initial assessment of portions of base housing and found widespread roof damage to nearly every home.
    “At this point, Tyndall residents and evacuated personnel should remain at their safe location,” said Col. Brian Laidlaw, 325th Fighter Wing commander. “We are actively developing plans to reunite families and plan to provide safe passage back to base housing.”

William Arrowood was among the neighborhood’s newest residents. A civilian, he moved into his father’s home on Monday with his wife, children and pets to take care of his father, an Army retiree who had recently had a stroke. Mr. Arrowood was still unpacking when he heard the squadrons of fighter jets flying off to safer ground. He thought the storm would miss his new home, and was excited to move into what he described as a paradise.

“It was great. I could throw a rock in the ocean from my house. No crime, people are friendly, great fishing,” he said in a phone interview. “That’s all gone. The storm went straight through my front yard.”
    With only a few days in his new house, he had not yet signed up for renter’s insurance. He evacuated and has not returned, but he said he fears he and his family are wiped out.
    “We lost pretty much everything,” he said, “and we’re not really sure now what to do.”

A very early report I read at another source stated that of the structures inspected at the base so far, all were total losses, as are 3 of the F-22 Raptors that stayed behind due to maintenance or safety concerns. Those jets alone are 450 million in losses at Tyndall..

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I just returned from Southwest GA (Pelham) where I grew up. I helped my mom and sister get back on their feet. Mom had one tree on the house and three more down. Sister was in better shape. They got water back Friday night and electric back this afternoon. I took a generator, chain saw and supplies. Tree guy removed the tree from the house and a roofing guy is going to tarp the roof. They are OK but cannot imagine what it looks like between Pelham and Mexico Beach.
    Never in my life have I seen so many tree and electric trucks as we saw on the way back home.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Good to hear you’re safe!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.