Moretite, Armacell, Gasket tape?

I'm slowly acquiring parts to refurb my newly bought Monitor 7C's. I'm now looking at the right product for sealing the drivers into the cabinets but have been out of the game for several years so am at a bit of a loss as to the current prefered method.

When I did my 7B's ten years ago moretite was all the rage. I used it on those and my Infinity RSII's. It worked beautifully, especially if you never want to get back into the cabinet again (which I think are the same words I used when I tried to open up the RSII's again a short time after the refurb on those).

Doing some searching here has me debating between the Armacell product at Home Depot and the standard gasket tape available at Parts Express. They both appear to be 1/8" thick but the Armacell, at 2" wide, needs to be trimmed. The PE tape is ready to go at 3/8" wide. If the Armacell is superior I have no problem doing the extra step of trimming it, but...I'm lazy, and if I can get away with not trimming...well, you get it.

Are there any prevalent preferences, or other products I'm not considering?

Comments

• Go with the PE product...most costly but worth it (plus it's designed for speakers!).
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Go with the Armacell... superior compression and is really easy to work with. It duplicates the stock gaskets better than anything else. It has also been demonstrated through testing by our very own Darqueknight to be superior to the other alternatives.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jonesy
    Jonesy Posts: 189
    Ha Haaa.

That's what I've missed about this place. Differing opinions. Although John does make a strong case if Darqueknight did some testing ( I do recall Darqueknight knowing his sh**).

Thanks both of you.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    If your stock gaskets are not damaged you gain nothing by replacing them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jonesy
    Jonesy Posts: 189
    F1nut wrote: »
    If your stock gaskets are not damaged you gain nothing by replacing them.

Well hell, if that's the case lazy wins the day!

I haven't pulled the drivers yet (only the XO to get values) so I have no idea what the gaskets look like, but will hold off on getting anything until I can assess. Thanks.