Some HEMI nakedness...

Finally got my Billet Tech catch can and modified 392 half engine covers installed:

zzg65bz50j5v.jpg

aohvk9kqkz8j.jpg

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Very cool Steve. I wonder how much oil that can will catch. I'm debating removing mine as it hasn't really caught anything.

Your intake looks out of place now. Any plans to add an aftermarket one?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    That sure is pretty... :open_mouth::smiley:
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I'm just glad the RIPP Supercharger kit fits with the stock full engine cover. That intake isn't pretty. But I do like the half covers in their own right.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Very cool Steve. I wonder how much oil that can will catch. I'm debating removing mine as it hasn't really caught anything.

Typical unless you're running the engine really hard with a lot of fast RPM changes. They're more suited to manual transmissions as well. They're also good after a couple of years for those that think the maintenance schedule is only a suggestion.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited October 2018
    mine takes out about 1 teaspoon a month
    2015 M6 hellcat
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

Doubtful. From video's I've seen most people get a few ounces after 2-3k miles, and generally empty it at every oil change. Cheap insurance to reduce muck in the intake. My main purpose for the half covers was because the stock cover trapped an awful lot of heat.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Get some cold air in that baby, she’ll love you for it.
  • Clipdat
    Typical unless you're running the engine really hard with a lot of fast RPM changes. They're more suited to manual transmissions as well. They're also good after a couple of years for those that think the maintenance schedule is only a suggestion.

My car is manual transmission, and I drive it super hard when I go canyon carving. Lots of 4-7k shifts and lots of time spent above 4k in general. I've had it for 10k miles and it's never caught anything according to it's dipstick. I'm just going to uninstall it and sell it I think.

Steve: I saw that there's some intakes including one from Mopar available, but it looks like they just take air from the engine bay. Although there's one company that looks to offer a true CAI with a carbon fiber tube that looks pretty slick.
  • joecoulson
    f2qckswt2lpj.jpeg
    Mine has the filter inside the bay, however it has a barrier with rubber lining which separates it. It them pulls air through the factory hole into the quarter panel area. Made the expected improvement with a side bonus is better mileage and improve throttle response. Mine is the K&N cold air kit. Pretty sure they make them for the Dodges.
  • steveinaz
    edited October 2018
    Typically the cost to HP ratio is almost nothing with a CAI alone. You have to do some exhaust mods and a tune to maximize even still, minimal gains; maybe 3-4hp? Dyno's have shown (in Ref to the 5.7L Hemi) basically ZERO hp increase with just a cold air intake. The Chargers are pretty well tuned for the stock airbox from the factory.

I'm NOT ashamed to admit that I love the "look" of the Mopar Performance CAI; and it looks so darn cool (and actually does bring in cool air) I may do it sometime in the future.
  • Clipdat
    Basically the same story on my car. Not much to gain without a tune, and even then the same gains can be had from a nice $20 drop in filter.

Anyway, glad you are modding your car. The new engine cover looks great.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Detroit Muscle! Love it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    joecoulson wrote: »
    f2qckswt2lpj.jpeg
    Mine has the filter inside the bay, however it has a barrier with rubber lining which separates it. It them pulls air through the factory hole into the quarter panel area. Made the expected improvement with a side bonus is better mileage and improve throttle response. Mine is the K&N cold air kit. Pretty sure they make them for the Dodges.

Hard to tell from the pic, I have a guess, but what vehicle is that? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    I guess lots to gain on mine. These combined with the Magnaflow dual gave me 40 at wheels. 112a88befo9c.png
    as98tvp1de2t.png
  • joecoulson
    Here’s a clue
    j1fkx38bxm6t.jpeg
  • verb
    I knew it! Looked like a GM Powertrain! :smile:
  • joecoulson
    And sorry Steve, did not mean to hijack.
  • verb
    joecoulson wrote: »
    And sorry Steve, did not mean to hijack.

Oops! Same here Steve!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    New covers look great!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    I'd stay with the factory air cooler and save a bunch of money..overall Dodge did a good job tuning the hemi....mine takes in air from the front headlights..7dwsv9jtlax5.jpg
  • steveinaz
    You guys are fine, post those pics!
  • steveinaz
    Nice hellcat!
  • Clipdat wrote: »

My car is manual transmission, and I drive it super hard when I go canyon carving. Lots of 4-7k shifts and lots of time spent above 4k in general. I've had it for 10k miles and it's never caught anything according to it's dipstick. I'm just going to uninstall it and sell it I think.

Steve: I saw that there's some intakes including one from Mopar available, but it looks like they just take air from the engine bay. Although there's one company that looks to offer a true CAI with a carbon fiber tube that looks pretty slick.

I wouldn't normally considering canyon carving hard driving. It's pleasurable sport driving for most but seeing you have some track history I yield to your experience and opinion. FWIW, I think you'll do just fine pulling the can.
  • verb
    edited October 2018
    My Bel-Air. 383 Stroker.
    x0schieua0ez.jpeg
    0w5flpqt1t0o.jpeg
  • steveinaz
    WOW!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Awesome, I wish they made them for the Durango. I hate the stupid engine cover. I took that smack off.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • verb
    steveinaz wrote: »
    WOW!

Thanks Steve. And allowing others to share your thread! I've since added AC to the Bel Air, which forced a new accessory drive with serpentine belt.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Finally got my Billet Tech catch can and modified 392 half engine covers installed:

zzg65bz50j5v.jpg

aohvk9kqkz8j.jpg

That's one clean engine bay. How often do you drive it? How often do you detail it?
  • joecoulson
    Beautiful Verb