Reel to reel back in da house

Fell into a deal on a Revox A77 Mk3 that has been cleaned up and factory spec’d recently.

I had an Akai Gx 635d years ago but sold it and the pile of tapes I had.

Now to find reliable tapes to play!

r3lxgnp1bcfg.jpeg
Aaron

Comments

• WardswebWardsweb Posts: 791
    I have several master tapes that are as good as it gets. Congrats
    Living room:Maplenoll turntable, Clearaudio Champion II turntable, Sonic Euphoria pre, EAR 834P phono pre, Shanling CD-T1500 sacd, Auralic Altair DAC/server, PS Audio Quintessence power, ASL AQ1006 845 DT MKII mono block amplifers, DIY Altec/JBL speakers
    Sun room: Roksan Radius 5 turntable, Lounge phono pre, DIY Class A 6H30 linestage, DIY 2A3 amp, Krell CDP, JBL C50 Olympus speakers with custom Smith horns, Klipsch Cornwall III
    Den: Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver, Oppo BDP-103 player, Panamax M5400-PM power, SST Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks, Behringer EP 4000 sub amp, Electrovoice DX-38 active, Klipsch Jubilee speakers, Martin Logan Cinema center, JBL SAT2 surrounds, Danley DTS-10 sub
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,614
    Since your A77 has Dolby B capability you might want to consider some Barclay Crocker tapes.
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot
  • ALL212ALL212 Posts: 783
    Any other advice on this device? I'm really not planning on recording to it but that could change. I'm mainly just interested in keeping it in good condition and running prerecorded tapes through it.

I kept two of my old tapes but I also used a DBX 224 to record to them. I've got one coming in from Ebay so I can listen to these.

I'm really surprised at how good this sounds. The gentleman who calibrated it has a B77 and found that the factory calibrations were too hot so he's brought them down a bit. With the output at 12 o'clock there is almost no tape hiss at all.
    Aaron
    edited September 30
    The Phillips company also made some good sounding prerecorded tapes that are Dolby encoded. These and the B-C tapes can be found on eBay. And it's probably a good idea to not use two different sized reels at the same time. If you're playing a 7" tape you should use a 7" take up reel.
    edited September 30
    yep - sourcing a 7" take up now. It came with a Revox one and the gent who calibrated this was drooling all over himself as he's never seen one before. Sold it to him...
    Aaron
    The Sony 150 7" take up reel is nice, thick side flanges and tapes never seem to rub. I've used one for so many years the hub is wearing out, have to look for a replacement. I have a couple of the smaller sized 10.5" plastic Revox take up reels, but not a classy metal one. Some people like to add the aluminum "spin off" adapters to the NAB hubs, they can go for around $150.00 a pair. You can get them in different colors for a touch of bling.
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,912
    Kewl! Nice deck! Congrats!
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• That looks like a pretty cool toy. What's availability like for pre-recorded tapes?
    System
    Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    PS Audio Directream Jr| Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner
    If you don't mind classical and non-rock stuff there's really quite a good selection. 40's through 70's mainly. If you want Rock best win the lottery. Couple hundred per tape.
    Aaron