The SDA SRS's have landed at Verb's house!

Comments

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,748
    Congrats on those classic mint speakers. Huge speakers rule!!!
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,376
    verb wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    To use the bass brace you remove the top bolt on the back panel. However, IIRC the bass brace had not been invented until after the SDA SRS was out of production.

Yep. No bolt on mine. Are you still running yours?

Bass brace? No, I prefer spikes by a large margin. The problem with the brace using the stock pad feet is the cabinet can still move. The brace was really meant for safety issues such as in California in the event of an earthquake.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Confirmed these are 1st gen SRS's. Pulled off the MW's on both sides and they are 6503's. Mfg date of April 1987.

I believe a count of the screws on the XO plate is another way to confirm.

That is unreliable as Polk is notorious for using parts from other models. Since the interconnect socket is blade/blade, they are first generation and cannot be TL'd. The 1.2 and 1.2 TL have pin/blade IC sockets.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's w/ RD0198-1's, Sonicap, Mills
    AI-1 Dreadnought
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 1C's stock
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    SDA 2's (side by side tweeters) stock
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • Congrats Verb!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's w/ RD0198-1's, Sonicap, Mills
    AI-1 Dreadnought
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 1C's stock
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    SDA 2's (side by side tweeters) stock
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • verbverb Posts: 3,327
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Confirmed these are 1st gen SRS's. Pulled off the MW's on both sides and they are 6503's. Mfg date of April 1987.

I believe a count of the screws on the XO plate is another way to confirm.

That is unreliable as Polk is notorious for using parts from other models. Since the interconnect socket is blade/blade, they are first generation and cannot be TL'd. The 1.2 and 1.2 TL have pin/blade IC sockets.

Yep. Like any manufacturer, they use up existing parts if they can for newer models. There is in fact a transitional 1.2 with the old XO plate.

My first set of 1C’s is a transitional pair. @westmassguy helped me out on that project!

TL is beyond this pair of SRS’s, but right now I’m a happy camper!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,272
    My first set of 1C’s is a transitional pair.
    This sounds like some kind of that crazy gender confusion stuff. :p
    Viking64 wrote: »
    My first set of 1C’s is a transitional pair.
    This sounds like some kind of that crazy gender confusion stuff. :p

Why Jimmy where have you been lurking? Yes everything/everyone's coming out these days, even vintage repressed speakers! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    edited September 29

Why Jimmy where have you been lurking? Yes everything/everyone's coming out these days, even vintage repressed speakers! :smile:

"I'm an SDA SRS trapped in an LSiM's cabinet." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • BMF35BMF35 Posts: 43
    BMF35 wrote: »
    I would have had to lay at least one of them on it's back and drive like my grandma the whole way back hoping none of the other MW magnets shifted every time I went over a bump. Congrats on the purchase and getting them home safely. I still have the rest of the BH5 we splitted somewhere around here if you need any.

Yeah! I'll take it brother! PM me the details. :smile:

My son and I have been going through everything in search of a couple thousand rounds of 9mm I know is here and we'll keep our eyes open for the BH5 and Dynamat box. Will let you know when it's found.
  • pumpkinmanpumpkinman Posts: 6,225
    Congratulations they look great
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,773
    @Verb, I'm right there with you now, except one step down. See my binge thread :)
    FestYboy wrote: »
    @Verb, I'm right there with you now, except one step down. See my binge thread :)

Awesome dude! :smile:
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 435
    Awesome purchase! They look fabulous!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 833
    Congrats to you on getting those beauties into place. Now the fun starts as this will be a significant upgrade.
    A question; is that wall mount phone still in use???
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,208
    Nice find.....they look almost new.
    Yep2 wrote: »

Hello... Sarah?
    This is Verb...
    Can you connect "Verb" to Polk Audio's main office please?

9ajz54frsbe4.png
    Congrats to you on getting those beauties into place. Now the fun starts as this will be a significant upgrade.

Hehe. Good eye. Not in use! :smile:
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Short the binding post to help get drivers from moving as much as possible.

Hey Dogg - You mean use jumpers instead of bi-wiring em?
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,912
    edited October 4

He means shorting out the input terminals of the speaker while transporting them. It damps the driver movement. Of course remove short before connecting amp. ;)

Since they are moved already, do it on the next speakers you get. :smile:

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Ahhh! Got it. Thanks!
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Yep2 wrote: »

Hello... Sarah?
    This is Verb...
    Can you connect "Verb" to Polk Audio's main office please?

9ajz54frsbe4.png

Dog? This is Jimmy! Wassssup? Woof Woof!

z60hrcs7frpb.png
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 1,979
    Just wait until you hear something with really deep (meaning sub 50hz) bass! B)
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
    Just wait until you hear something with really deep (meaning sub 50hz) bass! B)

Can’t wait. Plan to hook em up this weekend!
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 1,979
    Do you have anything with well recorded Organ?
    I PROMISE you will be SHOCKED (as long as your room's standing waves don't muck it all up)
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,059
    edited October 4
    Play Olives' "Falling". :o for a nice SDA-SRS bass experience. B) Around 3:25 it digs real deep. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    SCompRacer wrote: »

He means shorting out the input terminals of the speaker while transporting them. It damps the driver movement. Of course remove short before connecting amp. ;)

Since they are moved already, do it on the next speakers you get. :smile:

Went downstairs and performed the shifted magnet test on the MW's. No issues. All drivers move freely, no binding or scratching noise. Whew! Dodged a bullet here! :smile: