I love modern tech...

steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,396
edited September 23 in Electronics
So cool the features that are now standard even on low cost items. I bought a Samsung BR player ($98) at Walmart for the patio rig, as my Sony finally died. I discovered this pup has usb, and my thumb drive I use in my car has nearly all of my music on it (mp3 @ 320kps); so I tried it on the Samsung....boom! Music library on the patio!

98 bucks!

I run the sound via Toslink (the ONLY audio out option) to the Teac integrated.
Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; Belden 1694A Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM

Comments

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,602
    Nice! I too am a fan of much modern tech. Love that I can power on, completely control and sync two different systems in different rooms.

Is the thumb drive easy to navigate through the bdp? Is there an app?
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,396
    Yes, it shows the albums as folders and you just navigate to what you want and hit enter.
    Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; Belden 1694A Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • +1 here for modern tech to. Stuff we could only dream about years ago is now a reality. One thing in particular that still amazes me is the fact that I can and do sit in my chair and have control over what I want to hear as well as the volume from my smartwatch.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,021
    me, too...

15256338064_b7fe9cdef6_h.jpgReVox WHRB Dead aircheck by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    edited September 23
    I remember my Teac X2000RBL R2R with it's 10 foot CORDED remote. LOL. If it's got a cord, is it really a "remote?"
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,074
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I remember my Teac X2000RBL R2R with it's 10 foot CORDED remote. LOL. If it's got a cord, is it really a "remote?"

Ha! I remember those cords with the "remote". Heck yes it was still a remote back then, you didn't have to get out of your chair. Besides, it was the cats axx back then...
    edited September 25
    I liked the Zenith Space Command remote, which used ultrasonic tones generated by a tuning fork door chime sort of striker to trigger motor driven channel selection and volume control on TV sets in the late 50s/early 60s. We had one for a while (a hand me down of some sort). One could make 'em randomly change channels or volume by jingling a
    ring of keys in front of the receiver on the TV.

:)

osoiorof4cis.png
    http://www.pushclicktouch.com/blog/?p=107

qj2eruyaw98g.png

• verbverb Posts: 3,328
    Professor is that why they called em clickers?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    Another interesting remote concept. Accutrac 4000 TT.
    5w4icmbqarj2.png
    omfxn6dyxfoz.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/d/rare-vintage-accutrac-4000/6705742629.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    verb wrote: »
    Professor is that why they called em clickers?

that's a big 10-4.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,062
    Just think about this for a minute.

How many of us remember black and white TVs? Then the antenna on the roof auto direction changer. Then the TV remote. Then color TV.

The outdoors was a lot more fun than staying at home it seemed.

Then the BEEPER. Then the Cell phone. Then the decline of society..vvv :#

I'm sure there's millions who have had a smart phone since they were 6 years old now.

Parents had kids so they wouldn't have to get up to change the 3 channels. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,074
    I agree wholeheartedly Tony. However, with our "3" channels we didn't have an auto direction changer. Our antenna was on big pole, attached to the side of the house. When we had to get a channel to come in one of us went outside and kept turning it until it did. Cold in the winter...
    I think I was about 6 or 7 when we got our first color TV. I still remember it well because we were so excited to get it up and running. Back then, your TV repairman delivered it and set it up. I still remember his name; Mr. Kirby. Good times.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,835
    I think I was about 6 or 7 when we got our first color TV. I still remember it well because we were so excited to get it up and running. Back then, your TV repairman delivered it and set it up. I still remember his name; Mr. Kirby. Good times.

and they came to your house and repaired them.
    edited September 26
    Yep. I remember a couple of occasions Mr. Kirby would setup a mirror he had, so he could see on the screen what the adjustments were doing from the back. He had all of the parts in his truck, except for large things like picture tubes.
    Yep. I remember a couple of occasions Mr. Kirby would setup a mirror he had, so he could see on the screen what the adjustments were doing from the back. He had all of the parts in his truck, except for large things like picture tubes.

My father was one of those guys, FWIW. :)
    He had his own little shop for many years and made a living fixin' TVs (and, occasionally radios and hifis), installing antennae, and doing occasional PA installs (churches, mostly).
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,602
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

My father was one of those guys, FWIW. :)
    He had his own little shop for many years and made a living fixin' TVs (and, occasionally radios and hifis), installing antennae, and doing occasional PA installs (churches, mostly).

Now it’s all starting to make sense. The genealogy of doc hardy...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,062
    My 85 year old neighbor across the street and 2 doors down to the right, was a TV repairman for years but I think just as a hobby. Even at 80, he LOVED fixing tube TV's. B) I don't think he lived to see these newer "Flat Screen" TVs though. :( :'(

He was a nice little old man too. He once asked me to come over and move a big tube TV back into his repair building before a blizzard hit. I'll never forget it. I was helping some roofer friends put a roof on my just built cottage's front room. I didn't want to stop helping the roofers BUT I HAD TOO. :) The old guy was so small and weak and it only took like 5 minutes tops. We all got our jobs done before the blizzard hit too. B)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    My fully restored Philco 41-290. I added a BT receiver in order to stream oldie radio shows. Is that sacrilegious? :smile:
    b27om20glz7s.png
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,031
    WTH is that thing??? :o
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
    Hey Cathy - It's an antique console radio! Model year 1941. Yes way before my time!

It's got 10 tube chassis, with belt and pulley dials for tuning and volume control. Also some preset buttons! AM/Police/Shortwave bands. And a field coil speaker! Solid maple and veneer inlay cabinet, done in the art deco style that was all the rage back then!
    edited September 26
    From Radiomuseum:
    b8iaucmrp563.png
    Tuberadioland:
    http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco41-290_main.html
    I have a 1937 Philco that still works, but I'm ascared to plug it in.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,835

Ah yes the smell of ancient electrons cooking off their insulation in the morning God you got to love it....

lol
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,133

I know I would be!
    I’m always scared when I bring home new toys from the flea market or a garage sale.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • Huge fan of the modern tech. Anyone else have a Harmony remote? I have two setups with the hub connected to Alexa. Can sit down and say “Alexa turn tv on” and it cycles through all devices that need to be on for that. If I say watche movie it also turns the lights down. Casting stuff up to the tv or streamer is something awesome too. Anyone who comes over and says “have you heard...?” They can show me directly from their devices. This is a wonderful time for techies.
    verb wrote: »
    My fully restored Philco 41-290. I added a BT receiver in order to stream oldie radio shows. Is that sacrilegious? :smile:
    b27om20glz7s.png

Yes :p
    You can probably still pick up some interesting clear channel stations at night on AM in the wintertime ;)
    Agreed. Streaming Five finger Death Punch didn't really do it for me on this thing! :smile: AM reception works great! I'm a talk show fan, so this baby fills the ticket! When I'm not rocking my office rig, that is. :smile:
    By the way, it is a beautiful console.

Speaking of which, though, given your skills, aesthetics and... resources, you know, you really ought to have one of these.

g6ursen2ram5.png

Zenith Z-1000 Stratosphere
    Gorgeous! Ah yes the famous Zenith round tuning dial. Dude that is the pinnacle, way way out of my price range (~60K nowadays). Plus the WAF won't allow any more "what is that" pieces in the house! :smile: