The stars lined up this week

Happy Saturday,

Hope everyone is safe in the Florence affected areas.

So last Sunday Fry's add has the Denon AVRX4400H for $899, take another $100 off with email promo code. I showed it to my wife, she says no.

One Monday I asked my wife again she told me if I come up on my own with 1/2 the cost I can get it. That means 1/2 from our joint account and 1/2 from my woodworking stash. She knew I just got new blades router bits and wood for a couple of projects I'm doing. guess she was laughing.

While at work on Monday a couple of coworkers were talking about fishing as the guy just bought a boat. He was saying he didn't have the right gear for fishing off shore. I love Fishing and over killed my fishing rods and tackle. I sell this guy two heavy setup's for trolling and one of my 20lb bait rigs for $400. He tossed in another $100 for a nice box of jigs and feathers.

Yesterday I went to frys. Had the Denon in the cart when I remembered the T15 were on sale too for $49. Hmmm I got the extra $100, now I'm going to be setting up 5.1.4.

I have two blanket chest and a bookcase to make today. Guess I'll put those off till later.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• Way to go you sly fox.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I gotta learn me a new skill that'll add to the coffers. Besides 'Q that is.
    Well, that has something to do with woodworking, maybe I'll make my own charcoal and sell it on the side of the road? Change my last name to Collier too, yeah that's the idea...
    *sigh*

Nice grab on the gear there, not sure I could part with fishing stuff to get it though!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Hey Loren- Way to work it, nice AVR. No more love for the Marantz?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2018
    Nice man, good hustle. Curious to hear how you like the AVR compared to the new old one. It’s replacing the 5010, right?

I just did something similar and got a new amp to power the 5ch LSiM HT. Arrived today actually. Funny how quickly one can come with extra cash by selling off things laying around collecting dust.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Well, that has something to do with woodworking, maybe I'll make my own charcoal and sell it on the side of the road? Change my last name to Collier too, yeah that's the idea...
    *sigh*

Nice grab on the gear there, not sure I could part with fishing stuff to get it though!

I still have a ton of fishing gear. I use to live on the San Diego sport fishing party boats for some time. Now with gas prices so high I can't afford it. I maybe do a trip once every two years now. I was a firm believer in 3 poll's for each line test. I am now down to about a dozen rods and reels for salt water and 6 for fresh.
    Hey Loren- Way to work it, nice AVR. No more love for the Marantz?

I'm up and down on the SR5010. I severely dislike Audyssey XT. Once tweaked it sounded good but I also wanted to go to 9 channel for 5.1.4. I was just going to add some rears but I would keep switching between the 4 ceiling speakers I already have.
    Oh and that darn porthole display drove me nuts..

I got it all setup today, didn't get any woodwork in, I'll have to do that tomorrow. So far so good. Listened to a few CD's. Nice AVR, good clean sound not much different from the Marantz, maybe a tad warmer. Thing is with Audyssey XT32 I didn't have to tweak anything. Ran it and tossed on a disc.

Time for a movie, something with rain, 4 ceiling speakers with added near ear level surrounds be a nice John Wick time.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • I agree with that porthole. I never thought that was a good idea.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Running sr5007 in the bedroom and avr-x4200w in the living room. I don’t mind the porthole - I mean don’t you just use the phone app anyway??? - but the upgraded audyssey and extra channels and power is pretty sweet. I agree the sound signatures are very similar...don’t know if I would call the denon warmer but I have two completely different setups so I can’t directly compare.

I won’t tell you what I paid for my denon on eBay...but thems are nice avrs for sure...congrats!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren wrote: »
    polrbehr wrote: »
    *sigh*

I still have a ton of fishing gear. I use to live on the San Diego sport fishing party boats for some time. Now with gas prices so high I can't afford it. I maybe do a trip once every two years now. I was a firm believer in 3 poll's for each line test. I am now down to about a dozen rods and reels for salt water and 6 for fresh.
    Hey Loren- Way to work it, nice AVR. No more love for the Marantz?

I'm up and down on the SR5010. I severely dislike Audyssey XT. Once tweaked it sounded good but I also wanted to go to 9 channel for 5.1.4. I was just going to add some rears but I would keep switching between the 4 ceiling speakers I already have.
    Oh and that darn porthole display drove me nuts..

I got it all setup today, didn't get any woodwork in, I'll have to do that tomorrow. So far so good. Listened to a few CD's. Nice AVR, good clean sound not much different from the Marantz, maybe a tad warmer. Thing is with Audyssey XT32 I didn't have to tweak anything. Ran it and tossed on a disc.

Time for a movie, something with rain, 4 ceiling speakers with added near ear level surrounds be a nice John Wick time.

Enjoy and congrats! The Obsession lives.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    This is the greatest story ever. I mean... could be the basis for an entire family sitcom. :)
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • mrloren
    Long night last night.

Watched John Wick then went to the THX/DTS-X/ATMOS demo trailers. Just amazing on how this setup sounds. Viewed Oceans 8 after, glad I have cool neighbors, I had it a little loud @ 1am

Moving the surrounds down closer to ear level is nice
    psoizp9qru42.jpg

I would say it blows away the Marantz SR5010 but that is an unfair statement. The Marantz was in 5.1.2 with in ceiling surrounds. The Denon is in 5.1.4 with near ear surrounds. For Music I find the Denon on par with the Marantz

Every Review on the Denon I read said they run a little warm. I tossed an AC Infinity Aircom on top to make sure it stays cool

pceo1hj4j09f.jpg

Think I am done upgrading for a bit. I totally dig how my system is sounding.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    mrloren wrote: »

Yeah, right!
  • mrloren wrote: »
    Long night last night.

Watched John Wick then went to the THX/DTS-X/ATMOS demo trailers. Just amazing on how this setup sounds. Viewed Oceans 8 after, glad I have cool neighbors, I had it a little loud @ 1am

Moving the surrounds down closer to ear level is nice
    psoizp9qru42.jpg

I would say it blows away the Marantz SR5010 but that is an unfair statement. The Marantz was in 5.1.2 with in ceiling surrounds. The Denon is in 5.1.4 with near ear surrounds. For Music I find the Denon on par with the Marantz

Every Review on the Denon I read said they run a little warm. I tossed an AC Infinity Aircom on top to make sure it stays cool

pceo1hj4j09f.jpg

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that....
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    "Think I am done upgrading for a bit. I totally dig how my system is sounding."

I said that once... I actually upgraded 3 components that week.
  • mrloren
    Yeah I'm done upgrading for the year at least. No more funds, no more fishing gear will be sold. Top it off my wife was a little pissed that I actually came up with my 1/2 the purchase so quick. I also have a TV stand to make for my future son in-law so I'm a little backed up on woodwork right now.

The sound on this amazing I might go buy the 4k of Private Ryan, they remastered the sound in ATMOS. The Fifth Element was great last night.

Oh, just a side note. running the wire to the T15's took 87' of Monoprice 14awg for both.

Cheers

L
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Nice man, good hustle. Curious to hear how you like the AVR compared to the new old one. It’s replacing the 5010, right?

I just did something similar and got a new amp to power the 5ch LSiM HT. Arrived today actually. Funny how quickly one can come with extra cash by selling off things laying around collecting dust.

Is that true? :o
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Absolutely.