Options
13»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Not helpful.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Well said Jesse and John. I agree that I like the pre vanilla experience better, but, I refuse to lay the blame on a "shell" or "operating system."

If you believe you're seeing cliques ask yourself why? Perhaps it's just folks that have been around a while and know their systems, how they think and what they've learned to enhance their systems agreeing with each other for those reasons.

When I first came to the forum 7 or 8 years ago I has been out of 2 channel audio due to life. Wife, family and less disposable money and room. I had once worked at an actual stereo shop that sold the likes of NAD, Nakamichi, Perreaux, etc. Basically some solid "mid-fi." Pieces that I had find experiences with, but, nothing compared to what I was exposed to through my associations here. I learned much from some great people. I never presumed they were talking down to me. If I ever felt that way I stepped back to see if there was something I could learn. And learn I did. You don't know what you don't know.

On several occasions I've had to take the long way around to come to the spot someone here told me I needed to be. That's just part of my nature I guess, but, I was never so c o c k sure of myself to think I knew better, rather, I just needed to take the journey of experiencing for myself. Thankfully, the vets let me learn and had a little fun with me (and at my expense) along the way. Through it all I've made some true friends and gained some great knowledge and equipment.

This requires a dose of humility along with the ability to be introspective, which appears to large a challenge for some. You can't control the wind, but, you can adjust your sails.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    What it boils down to is - Viking has the most insightful posts on the whole forum. Period.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Relax, things pick up when the weather cools down.

Admittedly, I've been consumed with home projects lately, with not enough time to hang here! Once things cool down outside, projects turn inside, including all of my audio projects!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    Hey I resemble that remark! :smile:
    h2pzc1svwrce.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    Interesting thread thus far. The OP originally commented on how can this forum get better, attract more members, etc.

So far, I have read about Vanilla (I myself am post-vanilla), the seasons, etc., but mostly how the new members must tread lightly, show respect, even deference, and endure. Yep, just like real life!

I agree with all of that, but if we are to grow the forum, the question is - how can we do things differently?

Everything posted on this thread is pretty much "it is what it is", take it or leave it.

I do love hanging here, learned a lot, had a bunch of yucks, shared heartwarming moments, karma, even concern and worry for members I have never met.

Just sayin, FWIW.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    In regards to new members, I feel people join for four reasons...

1. They have a complaint.
    2. They have a question.
    3. They want to learn.
    4. They want to buy/sell stuff.

Maybe a fifth reason, specifically to start arguments/internet trolling.

I joined because I had a couple questions. It didn't take long to realize everything I thought I knew about audio was wrong. So I kept an open mind and stuck around. That is something a lot of people won't do, keep an open mind. I don't recall having any issues with any members when I joined. I do remember going through shock realizing what it was going to cost to better my HT system. It also took a lot of time to understand what the heck you all were saying. It was a completely different language that was new to me. I also had to learn how to listen and what to listen for/to, in regards to music. I still have trouble putting into words, what i hear sometimes. I was never given bad advice and I feel members should be truthful when telling someone what it is going to take to better there system. But most new members aren't going to follow through with the recommendations and some will take offense to it. They just want an easy, less expensive fix. And I think that is what repels so many new people. So they don't bother to stick around. That is no fault to the forum members, jmo.

When I joined I had just purchased an entry level AVR but it got lost during transit, but finally arrived. By the time it arrived, I had been told time and time again I needed a better AVR. Once it arrived, I got to experience it for myself and it didn't have enough power for how I wanted to listen to movies. The sound became harsh when I approached the volume level that I wanted. Upgrade my cables... that was the biggest shock as far as money goes. Upgrade my center channel. Upgrade my sub. All good advice, but it took time and I purchased "used". I HATED posting when I joined, because I felt like an idiot and I felt like I was being judged by what I was posting.

After awhile it becomes addictive. What can I do this month to improve my system? What am I going to save for this month to buy? I have to give credit to Micah for keeping an open mind and wanting to learn at his age. I think the kid is a class act. Unfortunately, learning from experience costs more money than the average person will spend. I would say this forum isn't for the average person, but it's for the hobbyist. And I think it's a shrinking hobby, one that the younger generation has little interest in. Exceptions do apply.

I'm more comfortable here now. Wasn't always the case. I left for a time after the switch to Vanilla. I also didn't appreciate a 30 day "hiatus". Most of my posts are nonsense, posting pictures, etc. But if a new member came in here and did the same, just posting pics and having nonsense posts, everyone would assume that they joined just to buy and sell stuff. It just takes time to get to know people, their personalities and their intentions. Most people aren't their true selves on a first date. It takes time to get to know someone. Maybe that's a bad analogy, I don't want to date any of you! Everyone is going to be judged on their first few posts. I think introducing yourself and explaining why you joined the forum and what you would like to accomplish goes a long way for a new member. Sure, everyone could be more delicate with their responses to new members, but I was treated the same way as others and I stuck around. If someone wants to learn, they'll stay. I always associated joining this forum to becoming a pledge at a frat house. There's going to be a little hazing to see what you're made of. If you want to be treated with kid gloves, perhaps calling customer service would be a better option. We're not employees at a job, our personalities are going to shine through. I'm not saying be rude. But that is what creates friendships. That's what makes a person gravitate towards one person, but maybe not another. Personality, everyone has one and they are not all the same.

I'm probably not going to be on here as much because I've got some family stuff that is going to be taking up more and more of my time, as time goes on. But I usually have a tab open to the forum when I'm working on my computer. I try to always keep up with the more active threads. This place can be like watching reality TV.
  • Hermitism
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I really HATE the large spacing associated with this forum and Firefox.

For anyone not using firefox, this is what the above post looks like:

u1ulktmmw9n0.jpg
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I really HATE the large spacing associated with this forum and Firefox.

For anyone not using firefox, this is what the above post looks like:

u1ulktmmw9n0.jpg

Holy cow, that stinks. Glad I’m using Chrome.
    They need to get that fixed.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I joined in 2007 when I was looking at getting some Polk speakers. I haven't been very active at all since then till this year when I usually visit the forum at least every few days. I've been retired for a number of years due to back problems. I have asked for opinions on some equipment and got some helpful advice. I will be asking for more advice in the future I'm sure.

I don't post much because I know very little about audio compared to just about everyone here so there isn't anything I can add to the discussion. I'm trying to learn more about audio and have by reading different threads that interest me. If there is a subject I can add to I will be glad to add my opinion.

With me and my wife both being retired and not working I don't have the funds some of you have to spend on this hobby and my other hobbies. I have to divide up my "stash" among them.

Being retired is great, but since we don't know when we are going to die you never know how long you need your retirement to last. If I knew we were going to die in the next 10 -15 years, I would go out and buy a hell of a system like some of you have. Like my wife tells our kids, if there is any money left we died too soon.

BTW I'm a member of numerous forums so I don't get easily offended and don't need a "safe space" like certain members of the younger generation.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    I don't post much because I know very little about audio compared to just about everyone here so there isn't anything I can add to the discussion. I'm trying to learn more about audio and have by reading different threads that interest me. If there is a subject I can add to I will be glad to add my opinion.
    I completely relate to this. When you are new at this like I was, I found it extremely hard to participate unless I had a specific question to ask. That's no fault to the forum. It was sort of like an elementary school kid sitting in on a college class. He/she is probably just gonna sit there and take it all in and not speak up. There is really no fix to this until you either become comfortable posting or spend enough time reading to get a general sense of knowledge to be able to participate. For me, I felt like every question I would ask was a dumb question, but I didn't know the answer. I had a class in college called "Drawing For The Non-Major". It was an intro drawing class for people that just wanted to get their feet wet. But it was a mix of four different classes (intro to advanced students all in one classroom). Just like this forum. It was cool because I learned just as much from the advanced students as I did from the teacher. You'd be given a drawing assignment and you'd get to see how the advanced students' drawings would turn out because everyone had to put their work on the wall and the class would critique each drawing. Another humbling moment in my life.