looks like my Yamaha665 died a partial death

Last night I want to watch a Blu/ray and waste a few hours. I had everything set up all the inputs for the tv, HDMI for the devices and they were loaded. Only problem no sound whatsoever. all the speaker icons were gone including the sub which still does not work on music alone. Now I say partially dead because I never watched movies as a mainstream entertainment thing and used the Yamaha RXV-665 as my sources such as my i-net radio, fm, i-pod dock, and tv all those functions work. Clearly the tech said the HDMI boards and sub were toast.. We ran all the parameters and tried multiple hard resets to no avail. Here I was looking for a nicer preamp and now this... SUCKS TO BE ME, but that's taken already. lol lol lol....Lew
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,509
    That's strange that it would just crap the bed like that. Just a random failure?
    Got Dayens?
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,440
    Sometimes these newer AVR's need a reboot. Unplug it from the wall for a few minutes.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,509
    mrloren wrote: »
    Sometimes these newer AVR's need a reboot. Unplug it from the wall for a few minutes.

Yeah, he mentioned "hard resets", but as you said sometimes completely unplugging it and letting the caps drain for a while can help.
    Got Dayens?
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,804
    My dad’s Pioneer SC-25 once had this issue, and we could not get it to work correctly. We eventually gave up and left it unplugged overnight, and when we came back, it worked just fine. I know that it’s an entirely different brand, but just saying, it worked for us, so it probably is worth a try.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Speakers are one of three, Mission Freedom 770 IV’s, Polk LSi25’s, or Polk SDA-CRS (stock XO, SL2000’s, Blade/Blade model). Electronics are as follows: for the LSi’s and SDA’s, a Technics SU-v75 acting as a phono preamp, into a Yamaha RX-v665, into a Crown XLi800 power amplifier. For the Missions, I have a Lafayette LR-1100. Turntable is a Technics SL-3200, with a Shure M97xE. Cables are generic/soon to be replaced garbage.
    An old post I found on AK, from 2013.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,883
    Guys, this is me drinking all of the kool aid. I did what most said and unplugged the unit totally from any electrical source. This was about 2:30pm. Well this is the greatest news ever because after plugging the Yammy back in not only did the speaker icons appear along w/ the subwoofer which is pumping it's 8" pwrd best. I can't thank you guys enough for this one.
    I had a chance to buy a Polk PWS10 SUB FOR $50 at a GoodWill. Not knowing if my Klipsch would even work would this be a good deal. It's in decent enough shape and the yammi has 3 sub outs. Yes or No on this and remember GW does not give refunds.
    Oh, another amazing development they were selling LPs for 10 for $10 even and I bought my share. with another rack atop the left 2B to even things out
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,804
    I think a PSW10 for $50 is a great price, on a half decent sub. You can get an older but better sub for about the same or a little more. My friend had a PSW10, and while it was certainly decent for $100 new, you could get a lot better for a bit more. It is muddy, and there isn't much (if anything) below 40 Hertz.
    for $50, IF I KNEW IT WORKED, I might grab it for a friend who's current gear lines up with that price point...
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Speakers are one of three, Mission Freedom 770 IV’s, Polk LSi25’s, or Polk SDA-CRS (stock XO, SL2000’s, Blade/Blade model). Electronics are as follows: for the LSi’s and SDA’s, a Technics SU-v75 acting as a phono preamp, into a Yamaha RX-v665, into a Crown XLi800 power amplifier. For the Missions, I have a Lafayette LR-1100. Turntable is a Technics SL-3200, with a Shure M97xE. Cables are generic/soon to be replaced garbage.
    An old post I found on AK, from 2013.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,473
    I wouldn’t bother with the psw10. No output below 40hz and lots of port chuffing...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch