Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Never say never.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• laelle
    laelle Posts: 100
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well it was nice to do some learning here, as I feel clearly laughed at and detested, thank you very much for that... I’ll be retreating then... GOODBYE.
    [/quote]

3upum6vwnsv9.gif
    [/quote]

You must really like the detached world of internet to act so rude... I’d like to see that behaviour in real life next time, just watch out for the comeback (that is if you have any real life contact at all)

Sorry for anyone else who reads that, I was just so mad yesterday, when you just try to convey your passion and someone just comes in and bam... real mature

Anyway, still waiting for the Furman on my end...
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    The problem is, we are all giving solid advice & you seem hell bent on ignoring it. Your mind is already made up, so why bother asking us? We really are a helpful bunch and have no problem helping you spend money when warranted. As I said before, frankly your set-up doesn't justify spending money on anything other than a solid surge protector, That can easily be had for less than $50.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    surge protector

He lives in Southern Quebec, so that should probably read: "Serge Protecteur", which is also the name of a hockey player, I would bet. :p
  • laelle
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »
    surge protector

He lives in Southern Quebec, so that should probably read: "Serge Protecteur", which is also the name of a hockey player, I would bet. :p

Bahh lol, commence pas avec tes stereotypes lol, “stereo” type, jeu de mot d’audiophile...!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    edited September 2018
    Options
    laelle wrote: »

And really, if someone had the chance to gain experience from these or relatives, could you please enlighten me on which did best to improve on audio quality???

Well, you asked.....and members here "enlightened" you per your request.

Forget the sine wave purity until you have your whole system figured out. You're looking to work on the last 10% before you have the first 50% setup
    My interests rely solely on audio quality and noiseless sine wave purity

Been some good advice here based on what you asked. You are trying to improve on mp3 quality through a sound bar. However your priorities are blindly trying to improve your AC signal without having a baseline to what your actual AC signal looks like.

Instead of throwing money at that, and to answer the questions you asked, then I would replace the soundbar with a pair of S55 towers and the matching center channel. You can pick and choose the speakers you want, but for the price your money will be better spent.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS55W/Polk-Audio-Signature-S55-Walnut.html?tp=185&awkw=285219421815&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=178667202686&awdv=m&awug=9008161&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIztHw0smr3QIVByaGCh3hlwmXEAQYBSABEgKMy_D_BwE

So if your interest is solely sound quality, then again, stop worrying about your mains signal until you want to finally try to tweak your system.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Guess I may as well comment on the OP’s topic header.

There is absolutely no reason anybody needs an uninterrupted power supply for a audio, video, or home theater rig.

Doesn’t really matter if it degrades or enhances music/video reproduction. The job of these units are to keep powered supplied to an electronic device that if power is lost could corrupt or damage device, or whatever it supports.

You will loose no recorded information if power is lost.
    The equipment will not be damaged if the power is lost.
    No injury or death to any person will result from power loss to your rig.

As far as getting cleaner electricity from the unit while not using battery power, probably won’t happen. Sure, there may be some conditioning going on, but the job is to charge, and keep the batteries charged while power is available, and switch to battery power when not. That’s it.

If you wish to simply protect your equipment from power surges, get a surge protector.

If you wish to try to get a cleaner AC power to your gear, get a conditioner.

If you wish to get the cleanest power possible, get a regenerator.

The name tells you what it’s primary job is.

Nobody is saying don’t spend your money the way you wish. We are saying it more than likely not a good decision to spend extra money on something that really isn’t necessary.
  • laelle
    Options
    I wished upon a star... that never came... I “asked”, no, I gently said if anyone had the experience with a UPS or power conditioner, “could you” if you please enlighten me;

What did I “fortunately” get?

- An insult, not even noticed by anyone but me
    - People pretty much talking about the next Battlefield game when I asked about Super Mario (metaphor)
    - Negative comments about the Furman being nothing at all but a “surge protector” when even Furman lists benefits such as cleaner audio/video
    - People telling me to stop asking them questions because “I’m” off mark

When there is an aptly named Speakers thread category you know?

Well I’m afraid to say...
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I wished upon a star... that never came... I “asked”, no, I gently said if anyone had the experience with a UPS or power conditioner, “could you” if you please enlighten me;

You left out the part you asked about "solely improving on sound quality"
    What did I “fortunately” get?

You received sound advice.

If you want to remove the part of your request about "improving sound quality",...quite possibly to a point that might be audible....then I would just go buy both and sell the one that didn't fulfill your expectations.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    @laelle btw welcome to the forum! I had to chuckle a bit while reading this thread. I've gotten spanked a few times during my short tenure here on CP :smile:

They are really trying to help. Believe me, been there, done that. I started out with pre-conceived notions about my rig, and later learned there are big/small things you can do to vastly improve the audio quality. And yes, it involved replacing my beloved components with entirely new pieces. I have been enlightened, and trust the members here for their advice.

I did eventually get a Furman power conditioner, but that was not the first piece I replaced.

If you're interested, look at my threads and you'll get a sense of my journey.

Hang around, there are things you can do incrementally, within any budget, to improve your rig. You'll be amazed. And that's part of the fun.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options

Well it was nice to do some learning here, as I feel clearly laughed at and detested, thank you very much for that... I’ll be retreating then... GOODBYE.

3upum6vwnsv9.gif
    [/quote]

You must really like the detached world of internet to act so rude... I’d like to see that behaviour in real life next time, just watch out for the comeback (that is if you have any real life contact at all)

Sorry for anyone else who reads that, I was just so mad yesterday, when you just try to convey your passion and someone just comes in and bam... real mature

[/quote]

Send me your address and I'll call you a snowflake to your face.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• laelle
    edited September 2018
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

3upum6vwnsv9.gif

[/quote]

Send me your address and I'll call you a snowflake to your face. [/quote]

I live in Quebec and chances are if you come down here in a few months you’ll probably turn into a snowflake too before ever getting to me
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

3upum6vwnsv9.gif

Send me your address and I'll call you a snowflake to your face. [/quote]

I live in Quebec and chances are if you come down here in a few months you’ll probably turn into a snowflake too before ever getting to me[/quote]

Got your ups and downs backwards. We're down you're up there in canuck land
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited September 2018
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason anybody needs an uninterrupted power supply for a audio, video, or home theater rig.

Doesn’t really matter if it degrades or enhances music/video reproduction. The job of these units are to keep powered supplied to an electronic device that if power is lost could corrupt or damage device, or whatever it supports.

Going to respectfully disagree here. Modern projectors suffer catastrophic bulb damage when the power is abruptly cut to them. Laser projectors are even more susceptible to terminal damage if they aren’t properly cooled upon shut down.

We are also in an era where more and more HTPCs are being used as sources and even as complete source/audio controllers and power protection as well as uninterrupted power with those devices is important.

I have also seen flash ROM damage occur on AVRs and pre/pros when power has been abruptly cut.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »

Going to respectfully disagree here. Modern projectors suffer catastrophic bulb damage when the power is abruptly cut to them. Laser projectors are even more susceptible to terminal damage if they aren’t properly cooled upon shut down.

We are also in an era where more and more HTPCs are being used as sources and even as complete source/audio controllers and power protection as well as uninterrupted power with those devices is important.

I have also seen flash ROM damage occur on AVRs and pre/pros when power has been abruptly cut.

Yeah power cuts... I have a PS4 Pro with a 2TB Seagate external hard drive and when the power cuts on PS4, there’s a screen when you power it back on that verifies if everything is okay and more, but for the hard drive I had to do Rebuild The Database because games were skipping when there were slight loadings...

But I think Microsoft doesn’t want people to have surge protectors with their Xbox One X because they believe it will hamper the performance of the system;

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357504/microsoft-dont-use-surge-protectors-with-xbox-one-x-one-s
  • laelle
    Options
    Since I don’t have anything to do, I’ll speculate on things!

And I mean it, I have freakin’ nothing to do! I’m anxiously waiting for time to advance...

So... I strongly believe (even if I have no clue, seriously) that the most important thing is to have a nice clean signal! That’s where it all begin!

So although I’ll get the Furman soon enough, I’ll be a bit jealous of this in particular;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QlF5vJlXaA

Because I believe the Furman only has a low pass filter!

Which should clean the signal a bit, but maybe not enough...!

And that’s it for now!

I hope to write again soon since I have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do, honestly, I’m getting really anxious... so yup
  • laelle
    Options
    Found an active noise cancelling device called the AC iPurifier, will send back the Furman and perhaps add this voltage regulator;

https://www.amazon.ca/LiteFuze-TR-3000-Voltage-Regulator-Transformer/dp/B00O5FMPV8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1536521883&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=voltage+regulator&psc=1

I just wonder in what order should I put them? Voltage regulator last? I hope so at least!

• laelle
    edited September 2018
    Options
    110V or 120V? :/

Oh well, apparently it means the same thing... I wonder though if it’s REALLY 110V... does that mean a decrease in something? Like power and volume? :(
    Post edited by laelle on
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Laelle... I've been a member for a few years on this esteemed forum, have actually added very little but have learned a lot. I will say I have an Engineering degree (doesn't make me an audio expert) but it does help me in approaching complex systems in a systematic way.

If your source material is compressed audio (lossy, sound compromised, and higher finesse audio elements smeared, so subtle differences are lost) and you are using regular consumer components and cross connects of dubious quality/specifications... any improvements in the power sourcing isn't going to be noticeable due to the lack of 'sound quality' from your initial foundation. The delta/difference in 'quality audio gap' is too large to gain a perceivable aural sound improvement.

As others have said... start with quality speakers... ensure power amp/receiver/pre-amp or pre-pro are of sound quality... transport (whether quality CD/DVD/SSD is of mid to higher quality)... and finally ensure the source (FLAC, WAV, or CD/SACD/uncompressed audio) is worthy of the investment in a power re-generator to improve your power source.

All municipal grid power systems could/should be filtered/re-gened to give the purest foundation for sound replication. But you are not going to realize those benefits, till your supporting cast (components and a music source other than mp3/lossy source) is worth realizing those spatial/subtle sound benefits. Its really a simple, logic progression of taking care of the major compromises, before tackling the subtle ones.

No one is dissing you, we are just trying to provide the logical building blocks to your desired audio goal. Sure, go ahead and purchase a solution that provides cleaner power to your system (no one is stopping you) but other than the 'placebo effect' I doubt you will actually hear much difference, until you address other more important critical line items in your sound system so that you can actually hear an actual improvement.

Basically, what a number of us have been trying to say in a common idiom is: You're putting the cart in front of the horse. Take care of what's most important, and then sweat the smaller details. (Yes, power IS a big deal, BUT... until you have quality in your system to actualize any improvements that the subtleties of clean power provide - its a wasted investment).

Your Mileage May Vary

PS: Google will give you plenty of info on 110v versus 120v. Really nothing to be concerned with... it is all part of the North American power standard.
    Post edited by Mr_Hz on
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    Laelle... I've been a member for a few years on this esteemed forum, have actually added very little but have learned a lot. I will say I have an Engineering degree (doesn't make me an audio expert) but it does help me in approaching complex systems in a systematic way.

If your source material is compressed audio (lossy, sound compromised, and higher finesse audio elements smeared, so subtle differences are lost) and you are using regular consumer components and cross connects of dubious quality/specifications... any improvements in the power sourcing isn't going to be noticeable due to the lack of 'sound quality' from your initial foundation. The 'delta' is too large to gain improvement.

As others have said... start with quality speakers... ensure power amp/receiver/pre-amp or pre-pro are of sound quality... transport (whether quality CD/DVD/SSD is of mid to higher quality)... and finally ensure the source (FLAC, WAV, or CD/SACD/uncompressed audio) is worthy of the investment in a power re-generator to improve your power source.

All municipal power grid power could/should be filtered/re-gened to give the purest sound. But you are not going to realize those benefits, till your supporting cast (components and a music source other than mp3/lossy source) is worth realizing those spatial/subtle sound benefits. Its really a simple, logic progression of taking care of the major compromises, before tackling the subtle ones.

No one is dissing you, we are just trying to provide the logical building blocks to your desired audio goal. Sure, go ahead and purchase a solution that provides cleaner power to your system (no one is stopping you) but other than the 'placebo effect' I doubt you will actually hear much difference, until you address other more important critical line items in your sound system so that you can actually hear an actual improvement.

Basically, what a number of us have been trying to say in a common idiom is: You're putting the cart in front of the horse. Take care of what's most important, and then sweat the smaller details. (Yes, power IS a big deal, BUT... until you have quality in your system to actualize any improvements that the subtleties of clean power provide - its a wasted investment).

Your Mileage May Vary

PS: Google will give you plenty of info on 110v versus 120v. Really nothing to be concerned with... it is all part of the North American power standard.

Well last time I checked, Focal was building nice speakers (that’s a complete guess though because I never heard them, just heard they were nice)? Extremely expensive stuff though...

Is there that much of a difference between active and passive design? Probably ehh? I bet everything, for interconnect cables to power cables, to tubes, everything must be better if you have the money (though those Orpheus headphones leave me doubtful)...

But honestly, isn’t good class D stuff already good in active studio monitors? Or is it to be avoided because it’s all about the analog, RCA, and tubes?

Also was shopping the other day for receivers and saw interesting Denon things...
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Guys give up. OP obviously had preconceived notions that won’t change regardless of what we tell him, and no matter how mich experience (personal or professional) one has.

Let him buy his UPS, have it make no difference and then come back here and moan about it.

There are more important things to spend time on than arguing with someone who won’t listen.

Give your kid an extra hug, kiss your wife or significant other, crack a beer and enjoy the music.

Peace
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If I understand correctly... you have a sound bar? There are a lot of choices that will improve your speaker situation well before you reach financially towards Focal. But don't let me stop you if that's your desire. I had a pair of Focal 2-way separates in one of my cars, and they rocked! I understand their home stereo speakers are well regarded as well, but depending on model, you might need to seek a 2nd mortgage. lol!

There are plenty of speaker choices that provide fantastic audio response/imaging that doesn't necessarily 'breaks the bank.' Research/forums/brick&mortar visits for listening sessions pay off in spades...

Heck, even some of these new and vintage Polk speakers that people discuss infinitum on this forum could be a great solution!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Guys give up. OP obviously had preconceived notions that won’t change regardless of what we tell him, and no matter how mich experience (personal or professional) one has.

Let him buy his UPS, have it make no difference and then come back here and moan about it.

There are more important things to spend time on than arguing with someone who won’t listen.

Give your kid an extra hug, kiss your wife or significant other, crack a beer and enjoy the music.

Peace

Good call...