Uninterruptible Power Supply VS Power Conditioner

Options
Hello there!

I have those two in mind;
- Power conditioner (Furman PST-8D)
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD)

And really, if someone had the chance to gain experience from these or relatives, could you please enlighten me on which did best to improve on audio quality???

Thank you very very much! My interests rely solely on audio quality and noiseless sine wave purity...

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Can you list the components that you will be plugging into it?
  • laelle
    laelle Posts: 100
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Sure!

The Polk MagniFi MAX SR
    A HiSense H9908 HDTV
    A Xbox One X
    (A PS4 Pro) maybe not though
    (A powered subwoofer) I’m not sure I’ll be using it alot
    Small guitar amp
    A modem

I really am leaning toward the UPS... because it supposedly recreates a new sine wave probably devoid of much irregularities...

Also I have not seen any talk about UPSes improving sound or image??? How come?!? The only benefits I could read was from this page under Noise Filtering paragraph;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981755-REG/cyberpower_cp1500avrlcd_1500va_cp_avr_lcd.html
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Oh well possibilities are that I will eventually try those two, the Furman PST-8D next week, and CyberPower next month... sound is too important to me, I need full consciousness of those products...

I’ll review them, let you know what they’re worth!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I have the smaller brother to that UPS on my computer equipment. All that talk about pure sine wave refers to when it's operating off the battery, not normal conditions.

Frankly, you're barking up the wrong tree. If you want better sound, get rid of the sound bar. Nothing you are looking at will make it sound better. Simple surge suppressor is really all you need for that set-up.
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Are you sure? What I have read stated that it outputs a pure sine wave? In a YouTube video he tested the output with an oscillator and it was clearly seen that the wave outputted was very good...

There is also that model, an APC this time;

https://www.amazon.ca/APC-Back-UPS-Sinewave-Protector-BR1500MS/dp/B0779LDRWZ/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1536271423&sr=8-20&keywords=uninterruptible+power+supply
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I have the smaller brother to that UPS on my computer equipment. All that talk about pure sine wave refers to when it's operating off the battery, not normal conditions.

Frankly, you're barking up the wrong tree. If you want better sound, get rid of the sound bar. Nothing you are looking at will make it sound better. Simple surge suppressor is really all you need for that set-up.

I might agree with this. I see gaming gear, and a guitar amp, but no gear listed specifically for music. What better sound are you looking for ? Better sound for your games ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I also concur with the above. Better audio gear will help you more than a power conditioner.
    Getting better gear is obviously your choice to make, but if you want to, give me a budget, I'll do some digging on your local Craigslist and give you some ideas of what to look for. :)
  • laelle
    Options
    Well actually to tell the truth these are just speculations for now...

I have, for more than 10 years, heard the goods about power conditioners and the likes, but never gave it a try, thinking this might just be cash grabs and nothing else...

But the impressions I get are very different; some say it’s true that it cleans noise in the signal and you get better well... signal after, others say it doesn’t do anything, which I highly doubt...

From a logical perspective, if you take an ice cream cone with vanilla and chocolate flavours and remove the chocolate ice cream ball, in theory you should get an ice cream cone with only vanilla remaining... I can’t see a difference with signal, if you take the signal and employ different techniques to remove noise, you should in theory get a signal with lower noise levels and get a proper sine wave which makes a lot of sense to get as little noise pollution as possible so that you get cleaner output
  • laelle
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »

I might agree with this. I see gaming gear, and a guitar amp, but no gear listed specifically for music. What better sound are you looking for ? Better sound for your games ?

No gear for music, well; I employ the PS4 Pro for media playback using Spotify and YouTube through the MagniFi MAX SR system! And will soon do so through an Xbox One X system!

mlistens03 wrote: »
    I also concur with the above. Better audio gear will help you more than a power conditioner.
    Getting better gear is obviously your choice to make, but if you want to, give me a budget, I'll do some digging on your local Craigslist and give you some ideas of what to look for. :)

Yes but will better gear change the source signal sine wave? Perhaps it has integrated signal filters though which would lead to pretty much the same results...
  • Clipdat
    Options
    laelle wrote: »
    No gear for music, well; I employ the PS4 Pro for media playback using Spotify and YouTube through the MagniFi MAX SR system! And will soon do so through an Xbox One X system!

If your source is Spotify and Youtube, adding a power conditioner or UPS isn't going to matter.
  • mlistens03
    Options

Yes but will better gear change the source signal sine wave? Perhaps it has integrated signal filters though which would lead to pretty much the same results...[/quote]

No, but seperate components will vastly improve sound quality overall.
    My friend used to have a nice sound bar, and I used to have a super budget component system. my system was head and shoulders above his, and neither of us had power conditioners.
    Your sound bar isn't good enough for you to hear the difference with the power conditioner. a component system will sound better with or without it, guaranteed.
    The power from the outlet isn't where your losing sound quality. The sound bar is.
  • laelle
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

If your source is Spotify and Youtube, adding a power conditioner or UPS isn't going to matter.

Well actually, I think y’all can’t be wrong though...

Although maybe I need to calm my enthusiasm for those, I can’t shake the feeling that maybe the AC IS ACTUALLY GOOD... and that the only thing that really can be improved is the PS4 for the Xbox One X since my iPad (that I’m using right now wink) is outputting sound pretty much the same as my MagniFi MAX SR!

Which means that perhaps it won’t change anything since the iPad is already probably running on battery power which would do the same than a power conditioner or UPS would do right?

Mmm...

• laelle
    Options

Yes but will better gear change the source signal sine wave? Perhaps it has integrated signal filters though which would lead to pretty much the same results...

No, but seperate components will vastly improve sound quality overall.
    My friend used to have a nice sound bar, and I used to have a super budget component system. my system was head and shoulders above his, and neither of us had power conditioners.
    Your sound bar isn't good enough for you to hear the difference with the power conditioner. a component system will sound better with or without it, guaranteed.
    The power from the outlet isn't where your losing sound quality. The sound bar is.[/quote]

Yeah but seriously, I can’t help but wonder the opposite; if the source outlet sine wave is noisy and affect sound quality... I can’t help but think it’s like a water hose set on mist, and then you switch the output to jet to get a more focused, better signal, no?

Maybe I’m wrong you know...
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Try to stop getting hung up on the power source and think about where the music is coming from. Spotify and Youtube are lossy, compressed sources. Changing to an Xbox instead of a PS4 isn't going to change that fact.

Examine your source first, and then each item as you go down the chain.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Wasting your time guys.....
  • Clipdat
    Options
    You know what none of those posts have? People saying that they are using soundbars.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Improved power filtering in most cases yields minimal improvements, especially in the category your looking at. However, better source component's for music can yield leaps and bounds , along with better material, cables, speakers , etc. Most would put power filtering a ways down on the totem pole of things to buy to improve their sound first.

Spotify is mostly MP3 quality audio, which on it's own merits is sub par to simple cd quality. So better power filtering isn't going to help much with that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Improved power filtering in most cases yields minimal improvements, especially in the category your looking at. However, better source component's for music can yield leaps and bounds , along with better material, cables, speakers , etc. Most would put power filtering a ways down on the totem pole of things to buy to improve their sound first.

Spotify is mostly MP3 quality audio, which on it's own merits is sub par to simple cd quality. So better power filtering isn't going to help much with that.

Yes I know, I used to have Mogami 3 ft XLR gold plated cables and the likes with polypropylene woofers to ensure maximum bass reproduction and my guitar cable really shined too... and those woofers were nice with the bi amped Yamaha msp7s seriously since Yamaha has already that bright clean sound so adding them was nice, all that through some Lynx Studio soundcard...
    Clipdat wrote: »
    You know what none of those posts have? People saying that they are using soundbars.

I really hate most sound bars though, I auditioned the Bose SoundTouch 300 (it sounded thin) the Vizios (not bad), didn’t have the chance to hear the Samsung HW MS750 but it should be good, the Sony HT Z9F which sounded horrible...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    UGH
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• laelle
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    UGH

Well it was nice to do some learning here, as I feel clearly laughed at and detested, thank you very much for that... I’ll be retreating then... GOODBYE.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    I am not laughing at you, and I'm not mad at you. I am simply trying to help.
  • alucididea
    Options
    UGH

Well it was nice to do some learning here, as I feel clearly laughed at and detested, thank you very much for that... I’ll be retreating then... GOODBYE.
    The truth is you’re not using much gear to warrant worrying about the quality of power. But realize, all we can do is give you our $0.02 about how we approach our systems and how it might relate to yours. If you feel you want to improve your power, don’t let these people dissuade you from pursuing your hobby how you like.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Well actually to tell the truth these are just speculations for now...

I have, for more than 10 years, heard the goods about power conditioners and the likes, but never gave it a try, thinking this might just be cash grabs and nothing else...

But the impressions I get are very different; some say it’s true that it cleans noise in the signal and you get better well... signal after, others say it doesn’t do anything, which I highly doubt...

From a logical perspective, if you take an ice cream cone with vanilla and chocolate flavours and remove the chocolate ice cream ball, in theory you should get an ice cream cone with only vanilla remaining... I can’t see a difference with signal, if you take the signal and employ different techniques to remove noise, you should in theory get a signal with lower noise levels and get a proper sine wave which makes a lot of sense to get as little noise pollution as possible so that you get cleaner output

Do power conditions make a difference? Sure they do, when the gear plugged into it is capable of resolving those nuances. The gear you are planning to use is not.
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2018
    Options

Nobody laughed at you or otherwise made any distasteful or rude comments.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Am I the only person who has figured-out who this is? :p
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Oh, do enlighten us.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Are you saying... soundman1 from the TL tweeter thread?
    I doubt it, they seem to have very different personalities.
    But if you are soundman, then do you have SL2500's in your Magnifi?
    I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :tongue:
  • tonyb
    Options
    UGH

Nobody did any of the sorts. Clearly you came here for advice but didn't like the advice because it didn't match your already pre-planned options. Nobody says you have to take our advice, buy what you want and move on, but please spare us all the theatrics.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Options
    ^^ That's my face when I look in the mirror and realize I'll never be able to afford the $17k tower speakers that I want.