RIP Burt Reynolds

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    ^^^ But that hood looked cool.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    ^^^ But that hood looked cool.

Yessir.

Wheels also.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2018
    One of my favorites was Sharkey's Machine.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    gmcman wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    charley95 wrote: »
    Always made me laugh. Bought my first "new" car after the Bandit movie came out. Wonder if they'll bury him next to Jackie Gleeson....hmm. RIP brother, thanks for the memories.

Was it a TA? Would've killed for one back then.

Indeed it was. Car was so cool back then. Then 1980 rolled around and they took the guts out of that car with a wimpy turbo.

Umm whaaaa???? Ain't nuthin' wimpy about the turbo 3.8 there Tony, that engine is a beast.

I believe you're referring to the 1989 T/A. The 1980 was offered a 301 V8 turbo. Even if you wanted to crank up the boost, that engine had a puny crankshaft compared to the 400.

Indeed, that 301 turbo was a dog, barely kept up with the standard 305's in stock cameros . The TA's with the 455's was where it was at.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Super duty 455 with the scoop that worked.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited September 2018
    One of my favorites was Sharkey's Machine.

I'm going to watch this again tonight. Came out on Blu Ray a couple years ago. Definitely doesn't hurt that Rachel Ward is in it! And cool audio gear too. Perfect ending in this scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-24-SkG2Jw
  • gmcman
    Always made me laugh. Bought my first "new" car after the Bandit movie came out. Wonder if they'll bury him next to Jackie Gleeson....hmm. RIP brother, thanks for the memories.

Indeed it was. Car was so cool back then. Then 1980 rolled around and they took the guts out of that car with a wimpy turbo.

Umm whaaaa???? Ain't nuthin' wimpy about the turbo 3.8 there Tony, that engine is a beast.

I believe you're referring to the 1989 T/A. The 1980 was offered a 301 V8 turbo. Even if you wanted to crank up the boost, that engine had a puny crankshaft compared to the 400.

Indeed, that 301 turbo was a dog, barely kept up with the standard 305's in stock cameros . The TA's with the 455's was where it was at.

I agree..It made gobs of torque down low, but just wouldn't "run".

Granted it's forced induction, but the "flow" part of the equation needed more R&D. I think the secondaries alone flowed more than that small intake tube on the manifold.vo4kipdll0ms.jpg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I had forgotten that Gator McKlusky appeared in "White Lightning" (1973) three years before "Gator" (1976), Burt's directorial film debut.

74df5ri8onp0.jpg
  • He was also a semi-regular on Gunsmoke
  • Viking64
    He was also a semi-regular on Gunsmoke

Was he the character that had a limp or was that Dennis Weaver?

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

4.9 litre 301 cid turbo! A friend had one. The 301 was not a great engine imho. I had one in a '77 Grand Prix and it was very anemic.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    edited September 2018

The 3.8L SFI Turbo Buick V6 is a beast (I owned a 1987 Turbo Regal with the T-package - blackout package ((amongst other options)). The 4.9L Turbo Pontiac V8 was a t-u-r-d
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo

The 455's ended in '74 or '75 IIRC. None available by '77. EPA regulations & catalytic converters killed the muscle car until the Buick Turbo Regals with the fuel injected, intercooled, 3.8 V6's started to stomp the guts out of the V8's of the day. The '87 GNX was the fastest production car made in America (1/4 mile).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Viking64 wrote: »

Dennis Weaver
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The only other GM turbo enines I was aware of we're the Olds 3.5L (265ci) Rocket Fire, the 164ci Corvair flat 6 and the 4.3L from the Typhoon/Cyclone (besides the 3.8 of course) all of which had some serious GO available. The Corvair engine had to be dramatically detuned in order for the trans to survive. Now I've learned something.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited September 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Dennis Weaver

Quint Asper

Loved that show

https://youtu.be/9X67RmNdwpQ
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    The only other GM turbo enines I was aware of we're the Olds 3.5L (265ci) Rocket Fire, the 164ci Corvair flat 6 and the 4.3L from the Typhoon/Cyclone (besides the 3.8 of course) all of which had some serious GO available. The Corvair engine had to be dramatically detuned in order for the trans to survive. Now I've learned something.

You forgot one... the 215cid Oldsmobile Jetfire from 1962.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy

You forgot one... the 215cid Oldsmobile Jetfire from 1962.

No, not forgotten, misspoken... The Rocket Fire at 3.5L that I mentioned is the 215ci Jetfire that you speak of. I'm a derp. 215ci is 3.5L and it's the father of the Land Rover v8, aluminum block and all (minus the turbo).
  • nooshinjohn
    Wrong motor... the one you speak of was a Buick design, and was pretty much given away to British Leyland. Range Rover inherited the design a couple years later. The Jetfire was all Oldsmobile, and was retired in 1963 due mostly to customers not grasping how to care for their cars and other tech issues the division didn’t feel like trying to solve.

• FestYboy
    According to wiki, the blocks are the same, but I was unaware that Buick and Olds developed them separately. New little tidbit to store away.

Nice little rabbit trail this thread took... I feel somewhat responsible. :/
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2018
    I have dozens of books on automotive history... don’t need wiki for nothing. Another littlle tidbit about that engine family is that Olds wanted to use it for the Toronado, back when it was a car the size of the original 442, and they were going to use the Corvair transaxle to make it work. The transaxle could not handle the torque, and the engine could not handle much of anything else, so the descision was made to use the big-block family, as Olds did not have a small block up for the task, and GM started to trim fat by forcing the divisions to share bodies, even on their “Halo” cars. Toronado and Riviera shared their shells in 1966, though the Riviera stayed RWD, and the Eldorado jumped on the FWD bandwagon in 1967...

• Viking64
    edited September 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Dennis Weaver

Mick Jagger was wandering around the Playboy mansion and he walked into a room to find Hef and Dennis Weaver in a compromising position. Mick says: "Hey! Hugh! Get off of McCloud!"
  • nooshinjohn
    That one isn’t even worthy of an eye roll...

• nooshinjohn
    Guess what I am going to do today?

Promise to stop posting those stupid Pug pictures?

• Viking64
    Promise to stop posting those stupid Pug pictures?

That's not going to happen. :o

qykzmr1rvkht.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    I will,be there for sure...

• Viking64
    krazypolk wrote: »
    AMC theaters will be showing Smokey and the Bandit from September 12-20 at or below $5 per person.
    I'm watching it right now. :)

• gmcman
    Guess what I am going to do today?

w4jexzy74eep.jpg

I didn't know he was in a movie named "Heat". Odd that 4 years later they made another movie named "Heat", which is one of my favorite films...with Pacino and DeNiro...the whole film had an amazing cast.

Looks like I have some catching up to do.