2 Channel Setup Challenge Part Deux

DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,878
**** please keep this thread on topic. I am restarting the thread since I’ve had several reach out to me wanting to participate. This is intended as a learning tool - if you have issues, please PM me so we can discuss. ****

After doing probably close to 20 events, shows, and festivals, I've started to narrow down my own personal playlist I use to ensure a system is approaching the sound I expect from my gear. In some cases I fall short and have to compromise, but when a system is really performing, I'm hitting the checklist with strength.

The idea here is to provide you a list of songs and then see if you can pick out what I'm actually listening for.

1. deadmau5 - 4ware
2. Pentatonix - Hallelujah
3. Spiderbait - Black Betty (Edit)
4. Nirvana - Lake of Fire
5. Dire Straits - Ride Across The River
6. Rajaton - The Little Drummer Boy
7. Sade - Soldier of Love (Remastered)
8. Sarah McLachlan - Angel
9. Godsmack - Voodoo
10. Post Malone - I Fall Apart
11. Perpetuum Jazzile - True Colors
12. Yello - La Habanera
13. deadmau5 - Whelk Then

After the thread dies down some, I'll post up a blurb about each track.
audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
Cabling: Wireworld
TV: Sony XBR-75X940C

Comments

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,776
    Still gonna stick with my first response about Pentatonix and the tenor 1 (alto 2 male) voice. I'll need to go through the others tomorrow for more answers.
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,209
    edited September 1
    Interesting challenge Skip...I will try a couple of them.

Are these redhook CD's, SACD, streamed? Or is that an added part of the mystery..... B)
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,878
    I stream these via Tidal.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,860
    Skipper...... There are going to be times that we can't or won't hear that which you can. Too many variances of song versus equipment. We as a collective cannot understand what you hear of these songs and verify what you as an individual profess to claim as absolute.......

• WagnerRCWagnerRC Posts: 1,726
    Thanks for the list. I look forward to listening.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Skipper...... There are going to be times that we can't or won't hear that which you can. Too many variances of song versus equipment

You're gonna have to listen before the Goldschlager.

Man...just typing that makes me cringe...lol.
    edited September 1
    Skipper...... There are going to be times that we can't or won't hear that which you can. Too many variances of song versus equipment. We as a collective cannot understand what you hear of these songs and verify what you as an individual profess to claim as absolute.......

That's the point. These are songs that present themselves differently on systems and can provide insight on where it stands. In a hobby where experience is a massive divide, I hope this to be a way to progress a system. Many of these songs can help enhance a system without spending any money, which is another point of this thread.

I understand that some systems will not do what I seek in these songs. That's ok too. This thread has less to do with what I hear vs what a system is actually capable of.

In my original thread, I mentioned that it really isn't what I listen for, but what you hear that may stand out. This is supposed to be a fun activity and I hope you can see it in that light.
    audiothesis.com/

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,183

don't drink so much :D
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 422
    edited September 1
    NM.
    Wrote something before I formed it properly.
    Will revisit
    marvda1 wrote: »

don't drink so much :D

Trying not to...
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,767
    DSkip wrote: »

That's the point. These are songs that present themselves differently on systems and can provide insight on where it stands.

Not so sure about that Skip. Doesn't EVERY song present itself differently on various systems, in various rooms, to various ears ?

One must progress a system , if they so desire, to mirror their own preferences/tastes, not yours, mine, or anyone else.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1430 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 281
    Hi @DSkip thanks for the list. I created one on Apple Music if anyone needs a shortcut to it. It’s missing one song by Jajaton, the artist is found but the exact song wasn’t. I’m probably going to spend hours going through it on various systems.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
    edited September 2
    tonyb wrote: »

That's the point. These are songs that present themselves differently on systems and can provide insight on where it stands.

Not so sure about that Skip. Doesn't EVERY song present itself differently on various systems, in various rooms, to various ears ?

One must progress a system , if they so desire, to mirror their own preferences/tastes, not yours, mine, or anyone else.

Deleted as I don’t want further mucking. If you have issue or need clarification on what I’m trying to do please PM me.
    Post edited by DSkip on
    audiothesis.com/

• gcegce Posts: 2,168
    I think want would be interesting here is want we hear on our systems and see if it aligns with what Skip hears with his systems.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • halohalo Posts: 4,367
    Hey @DSkip,

I gave the whole list one listen last night with the exception of Rajaton - The Little Drummer Boy as I couldn't find it on Tidal. I may have misspelled it so I'll look again later.

The track that really stood out to me was Deadmau5 - Whelk Then on the W:/2016ALBUM/. This is a really great track. Definitely about spatial properties here. I could follow the width, depth, and height of the music through the whole track. Pretty cool man. That was a lot of fun to listen to and hear where different notes were located during the course of the song.

I've been listening to Dire Straits since I was a kid and Ride Across the River has always been one of my favorites. The question is, what don't you listen for in this track? lol. I love the percussion; it's so clean. The big bass drum is centered while the rest is off to the side. Also, paying particular attention to the guitar work, the "crickets," the vocals, the occasional craaaack. The whole recording is, IMHO, very clean.

I'll listen to the rest of the tracks again and see what else grabs me.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,621
    I created a "Skip's list" playlist on Slacker. 320kbps, so I hope that'll be good enough. I have CD quality files for tracks 4, 5, 8, and 9, so I can substitute. Only one I couldn't find was Perpetuum Jazzile - True Colors. First time through, I realize that it's going to take a few times more to get comfortable with each track. In any case, good listening so far, and it's helping me clue into my system, especially as I'm trying to get my sub dialed in nicely.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • verbverb Posts: 3,328
    tonyb wrote: »

Deleted as I don’t want further mucking. If you have issue or need clarification on what I’m trying to do please PM me.

I'm gonna wait for your impressions Skip! Everyone has their playlists, including me. Mine is just a collection of favorite tunes. I expect it doesn't stretch the audio boundaries quite enough in order to fully evaluate a system.

I think of it similarly as when we develop a car or truck. We test em, and test em. Make improvements, and test em again. We run em hard, 24/7, all kinds of weather, road conditions, etc. Most folks never experience 1/10th of what a normal automotive development cycle puts em through.

The development cycle is also one that is standardized and repeatable. That way you can always go back to a baseline set of data when analyzing the latest test results.

Your approach makes perfect sense to me. It'll be interesting to get your impressions!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 628
    Wow. That last track is a beast.
  • DerfDerf Posts: 180
    Ok I’ll play along. This was a fun exercise. I first played the list while we ate dinner. Then sat in the sweet spot and played them in order listed and made notes as each song played. Numbers correspond to Skip’s numbers. My ears tell me:

1. Electronic music. Electronic sounds going back and forth between mains. Wind sounds off to the upper left, about three feet beyond left speaker. Bass drum in middle of soundstage. Seems like sub is blended well with mains. Upper register bells/chimes seem to be middle right, but then sweep throughout soundstage as track is playing.

2. Main singer’s voice middle soundstage, forward about one foot. Others seem to surround him in crescent around back. Female lead middle left, forward one foot. Sounds like lead singers are in the room. Scary real. Track shows how real voices can sound through speaks.

3. Voice and music initially seem to be front and center only. Some guitar to the right side. Not much happening on left of soundstage. I think because I grew up on Ram Jam’s version I probably have to listen to this a few times to get more familiar with it, as I keep comparing them in my head. Not getting much out of this one.

4. Wow, can hear bass guitar really clear off to the left. Lead guitar sounds like it is right side, about three feet higher than speaker. Drum kit sounds like it is behind lead singer, where it is supposed to be. Track used to pinpoint instrument placement?

5. Trumpet right and behind about two feet. Knopfler voice front and center, guitar left of center. Drums seem to be smeared across entire front. Kick drum remains front and center. Crickets sound like they are literally all around me. Out of only two speakers?? Shows off entire system.

6. Lead Vocal so clear. Sounds like he is in room. Choir behind about 5 feet. Drums behind about 5 feet. Low bass (kick, kettle?) clear and not distorted. Snare tight, but in background 5 feet. Snare sounds like paper, odd.

7. I notice the low bass note is spread across front, sub is blended well with mains. This song seems to be in this list mainly for the low bass note. Can’t really tell if it is electronically produced or bass guitar. Feel like it is electronic.

8. Vocal Echo decays nicely. Piano to the left. Stays put. Vocal front and center. Orchestra is so faint and slight, about 20 feet behind. Classic.

9. Single Bell at bottom right, outside right speak about a foot. Can’t get my mind off of venom flowing through veins! Drums seem forward, especially cymbals. Seem foreword of singer. Odd placement unless singer is singing in the round.

10. Voice emanates from center, but then echo and decay seem to swirl around soundstage. Low bass note blended nicely with mains.

11. Finger snaps clear, sound like they are below the voices. Really hearing that or does my mind want me to hear it?? Male voice right center female voice left center. Choir behind a few feet, left side. Voices so clear.

12. Truck just drove off from left to right decay unlimited. Trombone/tuba upper right, loud and clear. Later moved to the upper left. Drums left. Cymbals right. Percussion all over the place. But each can be heard clearly (if my daughter’s cat would quit clawing the chair behind me!). Bell and wood block can be clearly heard. Fun track.

13. Beginning Sounds like record ticks and pops. Low bass note, can’t tell where it is coming from. For some reason the bass beat reminds me of “Paul Revere” by the Beastie Boys. Track is for the low bass? How low can you go?
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
    edited September 3
    I haven't had much time to hear to all of them, but did listen to three that I know pretty well. I'm only about halfway through my cap burn-in with these CMR's but I gave it a try anyway.

Two tracks I spent some time with a couple years ago when I re-capped my 2B's, were "Ride Across The River" and "Angel", so I remember a few parts of the song that I focused on during that time.

I did use Tidal for this, but only at 44.1K, maybe it offers higher resolution but I cannot stream higher on the iPad pro....apparently I need the desktop version.

#5, As my system has progressed, the darker background opens up the decay of the single drum hits. The brass, and the slight raspiness of the trumpet stands out, as well as the light sounds of the high hat. What I believe sounds like a flute, but the flute, trumpet, and elec guitar seem to just duel each other will almost the same level of decay.

Right around the 2:40-2:50 mark, the elec guitar being just left of center, the bass is behind the center drum, with the trumpet just right of center. Those 4 instruments have a more pronounced position where as before they kind of blended.

I really like how the drum has a heavier bass note in the center. Following the 3 or 4 drum hits going from left to right back to center at times, or just left, center, then right.

The drums you can almost visualize the drummers arms working the drum set from left, center to right.

The constant light hits in the background on either the cymbal or the high hat, on both sides are well-defined.

#7, This track I'm not too familiar with, but I agree with @Derf as I don't know what's making the bass guitar sound, but the strong, deep, fast-attack of what sounds like a bass guitar on top of a heavy bass note pack a lot of energy, but is very tight, also sounds like it's filling a large room but without much echo.

I like the somewhat marching sound of the snare drums with what sounds like the high hat with their good separation. The snare sounds just right with that crisp, quick decay.

The song is busy with many odd sounds but the definition is clean and bounces all around.

#8, "Angel" is one track I played quite a number of times when hearing my 2B's change during the break-in. I had to confine them to a separate room to finish the last hundred hours or so since this track was just all over the place.

This track I feel lets you hear the smoothness of the RDO-198's, but can be unforgiving on fresh caps...:)

I think this track will help you get your bass nodes in the room under control when the piano sounds nice a tight, but mine is a just slightly blurry right now but that could be my caps burning in still....not sure.

Sorry if this sounds too involved in a particular area, I just remember it changing quite a bit...but one part of this song at about the 1:00 mark, which will repeat itself later, but contains the chorus:

In the arms of the angel,
    Fly away from here,
    From this dark cold hotel room,
    And the endlessness that you fear.

Sarah's voice has some grit over her falsetto on the first line, then goes to her cool, soft tone in the 2nd, you can make out her soft voice start at "angel" in the fist line, then the 4th line they blend together, but you can almost make out the layers.

It's just one part of that song that jumped all around when I was doing listening tests before and I can't help but to focus on that area

When I first heard this on my fresh 2B's, the grit was just too rough, then the highs just started to go too high.

Now the light grit, then the soft tone of her voice have distinct layers and each are very smooth, hope that doesn't take a step backwards during this cap burn-in... :)

@Derf, nice job with all the notes on the tracks.

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 628
    12 seems to showcase my setup the best. Amazing track. Thank You for the list.
  • Airplay355Airplay355 Posts: 4,250
    I’m struggling with he post Malone song. Gonna wait for your write up to see if I hear what you hear :)
    For those who have participated and posted up, a big thanks to you! I've enjoyed reading the responses so far and notice somethings you guys are hearing that I've never paid attention to on some of these songs. If I can be completely transparent, that was one aspect I was expecting and makes this a two way street. I have seen some things hit right on the head, some get close, and others not mentioned at all. I also need to run through some again as some aspects that have been mentioned might make them even more useful for me.

I still have 'aha' moments and sometimes it's activities like these that inspire or create them. It's also interesting to see what some people focus on where others will focus on something completely different.
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I’m struggling with he post Malone song. Gonna wait for your write up to see if I hear what you hear :)

Struggling with it? How so? That is one of the main songs I use now. In fact, I was over at Marvin's on Saturday and we used it no less than a dozen times while tweaking or swapping gear around.
    audiothesis.com/

edited September 4
    I will try to add to what I stated earlier.

1) First thing that struck me was almost a throw back to Miami Vice... B) From the beginning to about :30, I'ts like a ball is bouncing back and forth rapidly between the left and right walls. The higher pitched electronic tones have a noticeably increased initial intensity with longer decay time. Almost like the balls are briefly illuminated then fade out. The deep bass note sounds like it has a quick "brap" sound preceding it.

Around the 2:20 mark, it sounds like a light bloom of pink noise growing larger in size from one speaker then the next, repeating itself for awhile.

2) Centered and clear vocals. at about :35, the combined vocals sound like they are being played out of a pipe organ in a cathedral..very detailed and full of energy.

Around :50, sounds like the deeper vocals are on the left, with higher pitched vocals near center and to the right.

3) I agree, I don't know about this one...but the vocals are centered, as well as the drums, the guitar is off to the right at times. Most of the track is between the speakers but is quite raspy and gritty. I was able to hear the difference between the drums, guitar, and vocals....but they are all over each other. Sounds like an loose 8" driver playing on a table.

4) The initial drum hits, I guess the toms....I don't know for sure, but the skin of the drum is audible, the open ambience of the stage is also present. The bass and acoustic guitar are audible on the left, as well as I would assume the lead acoustic guitar on the right. Kurt's vocals are clear, lightly gritty and centered...great track.

6) Amazingly clean and forward vocals, followed by a soft hall echo. Backing vocals are deep in the background, which seem to just decay very gradually and spread to the edges of the room and fall to the ground. The drum sounds seem to fall between the singer and his backing vocals. The track opens with what seems like a singer in the front of a round room, with a narrowing deep, dark corridor in the back of the room, with the backing vocals deep in the room.

9) Vocals are centered and forward, slight "hymm" of maybe backing vocals right behind the singer. At about :18-:30, the bass drum has a pronounced plastic sound of the drum body. around 2:28-2:58 the crash cymbals on the left has a strong brass sound. Occasional high-pitched shaking sounds on the right.

10) The first 6 lines of the track, the last word of each line has a defined flutter accompanied with it. Almost has a higher pitched "Daughtry" tone to his voice. There's some fluttering sounds rising from the left speaker at times, and some trailing sounds off to the right.

Edited to add: Sounds like someone is bouncing a hard, rubber ball on the ceiling off to the left.

11) The choir sounds like it's being led on the right side, and backed on the left, finger snaps are slightly left of center . About 1:34, there is a strong female vocal slightly left and high of center, seems to rise above backing vocals on the left.

12) Sounds like it starts outside in a town square, a truck drives from left to right. Drums on the left, brass is closer to the center, crash is centered along with...bongos? Crash sounds like it fades to far right at times.

13) The low bass is subterranean...along with what sounds like repeating record pops, sounds like water flowing in the left, then right. Also sounds like a triangle in the center with maybe a tambourine? There is also what sounds like a smith mallet strike on the cymbals in the left, electronic flutter in the right. Around 3:23, something echoes and drifts wide to the sides. A lot of brass sounds in the drums in the left speaker.

Post edited by gmcman on
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,526
    I don't want to get off track here, but, this sounds like some kind of cult initiation. Is this an intro to scientology?
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

kharp1 wrote: »
    I don't want to get off track here, but, this sounds like some kind of cult initiation. Is this an intro to scientology?

:o
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 435
    #9 Godsmack' s Voodoo has a hidden ending. Wasn't sure if the crickets outside got loud or what but the cymbols kinda freaked me out.
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
  • ukcolin99ukcolin99 Posts: 279
    Hello Skip, great idea, appreciate the intent, gonna take a while getting to know some of these songs. Has to stay fun.
    2C: Parasound A21, Cambridge 851N, Polk LSiM705's, 2009 MacPro running iTunes & Spotify.