WTB 70s-80s stereo amplifier with approx 100 wpc

Looking for something from the likes of Marantz, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui etc. My budget is around $50. I need something that would be a good match for my 5jr+ series 2 speakers. Located in Elko, NV 89801. Thanks.

Comments

• la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,793
    50 bucks doesn't go too far with the name brands you selected.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,031
    Local sales. Thrift stores and the like. Pawn shops are great sometimes!

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,105
    For $50, you could get something like an 80’s era Technics SU model... not good, but not bad. I should know, I had (still have) one.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    In a few days, it will be...
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Polk SDA CRS/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner
    TCC-TC750 phono stage
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,763
    Look for JVC... Underrated and under priced for a Japanese built piece. They don't get the spotlight like the others you've listed...

NAD comes to mind as well...
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,864
    edited August 30
    While it sounds laughable to suggest this, triple your budget and look for a Mitsubishi DA series amplifier.

If looking at receivers, look at something like the Sherwood RX-4109 as it easily falls in your budget and offers surprising amounts of SQ for the money.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,952
    You need to clarify what you're looking for. When I hear those brands & years, I think receiver, not amp.
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 859
    DSkip wrote: »
    While it sounds laughable to suggest this, triple your budget and look for a Mitsubishi DA series amplifier.

If looking at receivers, look at something like the Sherwood RX-4109 as it easily falls in your budget and offers surprising amounts of SQ for the money.

And some extra speakers to go with it
    https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/stereo-and-speakers/6685576081.html
  • AuxientAuxient Posts: 15
    I found a Technics SA-828 along with a JVC SEA-10 standalone EQ for $40 locally.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,976
    qxplhx69lh9d.png

Looks like you got just what you wanted.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,105
    Auxient wrote: »
    I found a Technics SA-828 along with a JVC SEA-10 standalone EQ for $40 locally.

Awesome! Now, sit back, and enjoy!
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    In a few days, it will be...
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Polk SDA CRS/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner
    TCC-TC750 phono stage
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Don't worry about using the JVC EQ unless there's an odd hump in the room that needs quelled.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,976
    edited September 1
    FestYboy wrote: »

Don't worry about using the JVC EQ unless there's an odd hump in the room that needs quelled.

I'd probably omit the "unless..." qualifier altogether, but that's just me ;)

(I.e., I am one of those jaspers with the strongly held opinion that parametric equalizers generally do more harm than good -- but some folks do like them)
    I can't argue that.