New "land line" phone is a pain!

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited August 2018 in The Clubhouse
We just bought a Panasonic multi handset set.

It came with a quick description little booklet ( real short ) of what buttons are what and how to hook it up. That's about it!

It also came with an annoying voice that tells what or who each caller is. be it name or number, the voice says it between rings. :s

I looked in the little instruction(?) book and there's no mention of how to turn her off, or how to change the ring to something pleasant. It sounds like a warehouse lunch break signal.

I see on the bottom of a lot pages; Call or go online for help and assistance if needed. There's a 1-800 number and a website. I go on the Website and find instruction on HOW TO USE THE PHONE.

IF NEEDED!?

There isn't hardly squat in the little booklet. Of course us buyers are going to need to know how to work the many features!

So I go online and after 10 to 20 minutes I find a similar phone's Owner's manual. 80 pages! :o I looked through a lot of that CRAZY bunch of BS page after page because the index didn't have anything about "Voice Notification of Calls Coming in". Who wrote this "Short Novel"?

Well on page 44 there's some hint to it but NO directions. I keep reading the weird bs and get to page 55. Ah Ha.! Now were talking! I read a bit and guess what, it says to go back to page 44 to 48. :s

I go back to page 44 and read very carefully to page 48. Useless. I go forward to page 55 again. I NOW see there's a code # off to the right of these directional tidbits. OK...how do I get to the point I can put in the code # to access this voice and turn her off? I looked for a short bit and said; I have some things I can accomplish today since I'm feeling pretty good.

I was so tired of searching for a SIMPLE directive to turn the voice off by then, I just saved the web site page with the manual.

I went out and did some cleaning and did blade replacing. The lawnmower and edger have new blades now. :D

Why does a land line phone have to be sooo complicated to program now? 80 pages? :#

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    LOLOL
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Time to dust her off Tony my good man! I know you have one of these stocked away in your emporium!
    61jjfyr9wih9.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    My wife loves talking to her family up in Michigan for about an hour sometimes to each of them about every 2 weeks or 3.

One simple low bill added to our Cable and Internet.

Our daughter cut the cables completely now. She's had a smart phone since they came out. She has a work PC Lap Top she also uses at home at night I think. She Streams stuff now.
  • msg
    This was a great peek into the mind of Tony M B)

Another good story teller is @boston1450
    I loved the one he told about getting carried away one night out by the fire at the cabin, swinging a stick around thinking he was bad-a Steven Segal, and ended up whacking himself in the head.

Tony, I'm surprised you guys haven't gotten an Ooma or something like that. Some kinda VoIP box. I don't know if that's even a thing anymore.
    I disabled signatures.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I still use a landline, which is attached to my Panasonic multi handset. Comcast is my phone company. I like knowing who is calling me, then I know whether I want to answer it or not.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    msg wrote: »
    This was a great peek into the mind of Tony M B)

Another good story teller is @boston1450
    I loved the one he told about getting carried away one night out by the fire at the cabin, swinging a stick around thinking he was bad-a Steven Segal, and ended up whacking himself in the head.

Tony, I'm surprised you guys haven't gotten an Ooma or something like that. Some kinda VoIP box. I don't know if that's even a thing anymore.

I have no idea what those things are, or were. :#:s
  • msg
    It's kinda like a llama, I think. The Lorenzo Llama.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    I've just learned about Mp3 players this year.

I get audio magazines every month but this digital streaming stuff and Smart Phones with a million APPS (spl.?) came when I was really suffering and I've missed the learning curve BAD.

I'm getting an Smart phone in about a year or less. I guess I need a tablet to play with APPs also. I have a receiver that does Wi-Fi but I don't know much at all about it. Now I see FLAC ( I know that's a high bit something media storage technic) is about to be challenged by something new that's coming from Europe. I forget the name right now. It's some encoding thing that needs a decoder that the company doesn't want to license out.

I'll be happy to get U-Tube out in the cottage one day. I enjoy that site a lot. B)
  • Tony M
    I've never subscribed to Sirius Radio either. :#
  • msg
    Man, Tony, if you have a laptop with an HDMI port on it, get a long cheap cable from Monoprice, and connect your laptop to it - there'll be YouTube on your tv

Or you could get a Roku player or a Chromecast. I think the Chromecast is probably the easiest/fastest to use with YouTube.

Who knows, if your TV's smart, it's probably already got the toobs of yoohoo on it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    We have a set of those Panasonic handsets.

Maybe it's similar, but press MENU, scroll down to SETTINGS, you can change ringtone, or defer the talking caller ID to base or handset....but I don't see where to turn the talking CID off.
  • Tony M
    gmcman wrote: »
    We have a set of those Panasonic handsets.

Maybe it's similar, but press MENU, scroll down to SETTINGS, you can change ringtone, or defer the talking caller ID to base or handset....but I don't see where to turn the talking CID off.

I pushed MENU but I only seemed to get to calls missed.., :s

I'm going to probably study the manual some more.
  • Tony M
    msg wrote: »
    Man, Tony, if you have a laptop with an HDMI port on it, get a long cheap cable from Monoprice, and connect your laptop to it - there'll be YouTube on your tv

Or you could get a Roku player or a Chromecast. I think the Chromecast is probably the easiest/fastest to use with YouTube.

Who knows, if your TV's smart, it's probably already got the toobs of yoohoo on it.

I don't have a laptop yet but maybe my wife still has her old one here.

I don't have a Smart TV yet either. Thanks for the suggestions tough. ;)B)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I really wanted to get rid of our landline because anytime someone calls we don't answer it. My wife feels more comfortable having one so she can call her brother all the way across the country. We switched to Magicjack first year free which gives me the year to convince her we don't need it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I still have a land line, an ATT cordless handset. Never gets used, but anyway. There is a menu button on mine, you press it for menu items and scroll. I think some things require you to hit the menu button twice.

Yeah, that voice can get irritating, know how I solved that issue ? I turned the fookin' volume way down. The display will tell me if I have messages. Like I said though, never gets used because of all the robo calls you get, sales people, etc. People who want to get a hold of me know to use my cell #.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    The pain is trying to explain how to use electronics to my 80 year old Mother !!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Tony M
    tonyb wrote: »
    I still have a land line, an ATT cordless handset. Never gets used, but anyway. There is a menu button on mine, you press it for menu items and scroll. I think some things require you to hit the menu button twice.

Yeah, that voice can get irritating, know how I solved that issue ? I turned the fookin' volume way down. The display will tell me if I have messages. Like I said though, never gets used because of all the robo calls you get, sales people, etc. People who want to get a hold of me know to use my cell #.

I did turn the volume all the way down on the main base. That's the only function I got info on how to do. That tidbit was in the little booklet.

I called my house again from my flip phone and guess what, that voice came through the other hand sets loud and clear. :s

I think I'll figure that code thing out after lunch today. I'll bet if I just punch the code after I pick up a hand set, the function will pop up in the screen with options like ON or OFF.

It's like going to a college class that you have no knowledge in the subject. Learning curve ...step 1. Volume up and down on the base and handsets...CHECK. :)

How to do other functions are this semester's lessons. Homework will be required. :s
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dunno man, maybe return it for an easier model to use. If ya can't do that, use it for target practice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    Tony, check out this site, and see if you can use it.

I got it through Comcast and it works like a charm. The phone rings once, then stops while the caller gets a message that I do not accept robocalls and hangs up!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    This phone has a "block caller' function. It will create a list from all the blocks you enter. I read I can unblock a caller too.

But it didn't tell how to do it in SIMPLE terms. These have to be the worst instructions since the VCR clock/timer instructions. But, I DID figure out my original VCR's timer/clock functions though.

Here's a link to these stupid owners instruction manual. It's just like mine. I was looking into this first but then I tried again to find my Model # exactly. I found one and It's a little shorter on pages. I'll post it too. My exact model is the one below the first link, but they seem to be the same.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/966147/Panasonic-Kx-Tgf372.html?
    page=01#manual
    My model is KX-TGF572 but I couldn't find my TGF572 in a listing. I didn't do a 2 hour search but I did some time searching until I got aggravated.
    This one below was just like the above manual. What's with the M***N :s surrounding the step wording?

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Panasonic-Kx-Tg572sk-3921593.html
  • Tony M
    here's a page with something on ring tone and caller ID in the first manual. But I just noticed the first manual has a corded base unit. I didn't see that yesterday. :s I found the other page later yesterday afternoon and looked into it for a while until I got aggravated again. :#

Here's a page from the first one though. Notice the code#'s off to the right on the page.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/978178/Panasonic-Kx-Tgf350.html?page=29#manual
  • Tony M
    I've got into MENU/SETTINGS ….FINALLY.!. :p

I think step 2 in my learning curve is getting solved... :D
  • Tony M
    I just set the ringer "TUNE" and Volume. YEA! :D
  • Tony M
    Still have to shut that CID woman's voice off. :s

If she sounded like Garmin's female voice, I'd leave it on. :D

But this voice on this phone is "female robotic" that it's just WRONG! :#
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    I got her silenced!

The menu pushed.
    The settings pushed. I then pushed SCROLL DOWN v .
    I had been scrolling up. It went up through some setting and then started over. The settings never went in what's in the v DOWN scroll categories! COME ON PEOPLE who write these programs...how about 1 list of settings. Not one for up and one for down. And since you did this...Put in the instructions YOU DID it funky.

I have to program EACH handset and base to do anything I choose. It is not universal when the base is programed. I get that separation very well. No problem there. It's a breeze NOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO DO IT. :D

They could've put the simple MENU FUNCTIONS instructions in that little booklet on one page! They should have a 60+ year young person assist on what we need and CAN understand. Good Grief!

I got some more grey hairs and a few hairs fell out after this ordeal. :'(

WHY can't they add a few words in strategic sentences? Like "After pushing the setting button, you can scroll either up or down to select the function you desire."

What a mental challenging experience.

I feel for you @decal. I know in 20 years, I'd want a rotary dial phone like @Jetmaker refurbished or a simple one like Dave thought I might have on a shelf. ( don't have that model, but I have one of those that came out just after them. ;) ) Just in case a CELL tower goes down during a hurricane. Strangely enough, we've had to use it during a couple of hurricanes too.
    kjmkqg23mw5p.png

Oh how simple those phones were. :D

• cfrizz
    cfrizz wrote: »

I got it through Comcast and it works like a charm. The phone rings once, then stops while the caller gets a message that I do not accept robocalls and hangs up!

It would help if I gave you the link!

https://www.nomorobo.com/
  • Tony M

It would help if I gave you the link!

https://www.nomorobo.com/

I do the same ALL THE TIME.

No problem. I'm going to check it out now. ;)

Thanks again. :)