Polk LsiM series IS NOT discontinued

2»

Comments

• I would send those pictures to Polk customer service and ask what's going on.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Yeah I might. I know Polk had a lot of these returned for shipping damage, torn woofers, voice coils that had fallen through etc. I mean it makes sense to salvage them and sell a refurbished product but if the speakers are being sold as new then well that sucks.
    Of course speculating is just that, could be the quality has dropped from the part supplier. QC should have caught this.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I would send those pictures to Polk customer service and ask what's going on.

I hadn't noticed the pictures in this thread earlier. Totally worth complaining about.
  • Update

Response By Email (Tom C.) (09/07/2018 06:32 AM)

Hello,

The LSiM series has not been discontinued. It is on back order at the moment, though. We are expecting a shipment in the next month or two. Unfortunately, I can not be more specific as to when we will have them back in stock again.

Tom Carter
    Customer Service Technician

11500 Cronridge Dr
    Suite 110
    Owings Mills, MD 21117
    www.soundunited.com

Customer By Email (08/21/2018 06:57 PM)

Hi,

Is the LsiM line discontinued? The word is that it is. Looking forward to your reply.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dunno guys, if I found out Polk was assembling speakers with B parts and trying to pass off as new, That would be a huge disappointment and might strike a reluctance to recommend them.

Hopefully, it isn't true. I have no problem using b parts as long as they are labeled as such, and priced accordingly, but trying to pass off as new is a different animal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Adorama seems to always have some LSiM "scratch and dent" stock. I don't think they would knowingly try to pass off B stock as new. What probably happened is that some repaired B stock mistakenly got sent out as new.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't send new replacements once this is brought to their attention.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2018
    One thing I've missed in this thread (and it may well have been mentioned, in which case I do apologize!) -- were the 'iffy' quality loudspeakers in question sold at a typical price, or were they (for lack of a better word discounted?

I have no idea how the MSRP (if any) of these would relate to a typical street price vs. a discount price -- but I would posit that any significant discount over a typical street price would make me incrementally more forgiving of some cosmetic or other minor quality glitches! :pensive:

Along those same lines -- I don't know about y'all, but, while I am happy to buy from both Adorama and B&H (mostly camera stuff)... when I do buy from them, it is typically to get a discount price.
  • Yes all of my LSiMs both the 2016 705s and 2018 center and surrounds came from Adorama. All sold as new stock and all were purchased on promotion. I would say promotion or not if they are being sold as new then the expectation is that they should be. I wouldn’t have purchased scratch and dent at any price.

That said, they seem to function normally, hard to compare though being center and surrounds.

I’d give my satisfaction an 8.5/10 had I paid more my satisfaction would be lower obviously.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Glashub
    Glashub Posts: 43
    edited September 2018
    Yes all of my LSiMs both the 2016 705s and 2018 center and surrounds came from Adorama. All sold as new stock and all were purchased on promotion. I would say promotion or not if they are being sold as new then the expectation is that they should be. I wouldn’t have purchased scratch and dent at any price.

That said, they seem to function normally, hard to compare though being center and surrounds.

I’d give my satisfaction an 8.5/10 had I paid more my satisfaction would be lower obviously.

So I just noticed that the connectors on the 704c that came as part of a package are of the same type you have. Just brass. The 705's have the other type. This is maybe an example of what I've witnessed as a businessman and consumer -- manufacturers eliminating or using lesser quality components so as to maintain a margin. An example would be a car manufacturer replacing "soft touch" plastic with cheaper harder plastic. Works just as well -- just not as nice. The brass hex nuts work as they should -- they're just not as nice. Feels a bit of like a rip off but its not -- it's economics -- inflation, cost of fuel tariffs, the cost of doing business in China, etc. These are not non-profits -- and if they're publicly held -- the consumer gets it even if management is saintly.

Or it may be that since the 704c costs hundreds less that's what the connector they always used. I don't know.
  • While there's nothing wrong with brass, it's a fine metal, what you are seeing is gold plated.
  • Thanks and I meantg the 704c costs hundreds less than the 706c as a reason why one has gold plated and the other the "nicer" connector.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    All of the LSiM line speakers from a couple years ago used the insulated bindings posts, including the 704C and 706C. I actually prefer the solid metal hex type because they are easier to torque down on spade connectors. They do appear from the photo to be higher quality than what speaker manufacturers in this price range use. Hard to tell if they are less expensive than the insulated posts, since the original insulated type is not necessarily top of the line in quality. Also, not clear if the speakers showing up with the different bindings posts just have them because they were refurbished somewhere and that's what was available to do the refurbishment.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2018
    I could care less about the binding post nuts. The hex nuts are much more robust than the insulated ones, so that’s a wash. The difference in the tweeter build quality is another story though.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    For sure, the woofer looks like it came off a five beer lunch Friday afternoon production line.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I thought so if the drivers were made by tympany/vifa?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.