Best Sub for A9’s

Just got my A9’s and believe a sub would help round the bottom end out a little better. Mostly listening to music, variety (rock, jazz. rap, country), want solid full bass, but not overpowering, distorting the rest of the sound. Would like to keep it under $500-600.

Best Answers

Answers

• mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,467
    ^^^what she said^^^

That SVS 12NSD is a nice sub, I wish I would have had the funds for two of them when they were clearing out.

You might also want to look at HSU http://hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html I like that they can go from sealed to ported with ease.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,365
    edited August 20
    ddjcrna wrote: »
    Just got my A9’s and believe a sub would help round the bottom end out a little better. Mostly listening to music, variety (rock, jazz. rap, country), want solid full bass, but not overpowering, distorting the rest of the sound. Would like to keep it under $500-600.

Before you spend money on something you don't really need, what are you driving the A9's with?

With the proper amplification you will not need a sub with those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• ddjcrnaddjcrna Posts: 6
    onkyo 130W channel
    edited August 20
    ddjcrna wrote: »
    onkyo 130W channel

There's your real problem. You'll never get what the A9's can do until you drive them with a man's amp. A sub isn't going to help.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Recommendations? Do I need to add an additional amp, if so how much?
    Recommendations? Do I need to add an additional amp, if so how much?
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,027
    What is your precise Onkyo receiver, we first have to make sure it has the preouts for a separate amp.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
    Onkyo TX-RZ820
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,027
    You do have preouts so you can add a separate amp. Do you just have the two speakers or are you planning on adding more.

We tend to like Parasound amps. It all depends on what you want to spend, and how many channels you want to amp. Are you open to buying used?
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,467
    I agree an amp would drive those speakers a lot better. Bass needs clean power.

Parasound, can't go wrong if you have the funds

Emotiva, not bad for the price. I've heard the gen 3 are warmer than the older ones. A9 are a bright speaker don't need to add a bright amp.

Outlaw Audio, Nice amps made by ATI or so I've heard. One system with two of their monoblocks did sound real good. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    Think I may go with an Emotive XPA-3 Gen3. About $1200 for 3 channel @ 275 W. The Parasounds a little more than I can do. Still thinking about adding the SVS SB-2000. Will get amp first and go from there. Thanks all for the input.
    Think again and start saving your pennies.