Polk Audio Customer Service is pretty awesome.

couple of weeks ago, I was tuning up my system getting ready for a weekend of EDM from Ultra Music Fest in Miami.

My system was sounding a little off so I started checking things out. Found issues with both of my Polk Audio DSW660 Pro Subs. The front row sub would not power on. And the sub in the back of the room wasn't making any noise, even though it was on.

The back sub gets its audio wirelessly from the wireless module. Since the front sub wouldn't power on, I pulled it out, and moved the back sub to the front, allowing me to hook it up with a cable. It made a very faint bit of noise. I had to turn the volume on that sub channel to +12 on the Denon 4520ci AVR to get it to do anything.

Back to the sub that wouldn't turn on. I bought these subs in late 2012 or early 2013. Thinking I had nothing to lose being that the amp was long out of warranty, I cracked the sub open and started inspecting the circuitry to see if it was something I could fix. Maybe a blown cap or a wire that had come loose. Here's what I found:

https://i.imgur.com/JCzthKU.jpg

As you can see, something got SUPER hot, failed and started to melt things.

I contacted Polk audio and ultimately reached one of the supervisors. I had also opened a ticket via email and sent them a copy of this picture. Long story short, they want this amp board back to inspect it and see why it failed.

Telling them about the second sub and its issues, I wondered if the 2nd sub is about to have the same problem. Since discovering the melt-down, I have removed the 2nd sub from service.

They want that board back as well.

For my troubles, they are sending me two new amplifier boards! And I didn't even have to ask.

It hasn't been fun watching TV with the subs offline. So I'm pretty excited to get the new amp boards in!

Comments

• VR3VR3 Posts: 22,246
    Glad to hear they took care of you.

I've contacted polks customer service off and on over the years. My experiences are usually positive
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,030
    Welcome to Club Polk Savio and Steve! :)
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • verbverb Posts: 3,320
    @saviobarne welcome to the forum. I too have had superlative customer service experiences with Polk.

I too have a DSW660 Pro. Are you running the Polk wireless module or using a 3rd party (rocketfish, et.al) unit?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,131
    I'm always leery of posts with a link from a first time poster. I ain't clicking on it....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • verbverb Posts: 3,320
    Good call Ken. I didn’t even notice it, hence didn’t click.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,030
    Good catch, I didn't see it either.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • There are only a few CSR that loves their job.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,615
    I clicked it, it is indeed a link to a picture of the burnt board. Nothing special or focused enough to get to the bigger picture of what failed.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,131
    I clicked it, it is indeed a link to a picture of the burnt board. Nothing special or focused enough to get to the bigger picture of what failed.

I'm assuming you clicked the link in the OP. The one I mentioned was nuked.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,820

I'm assuming you clicked the link in the OP. The one I mentioned was nuked.

I wondered what you were referring to... I missed that.