Bands you've dismissed for non-musical reasons...

zuulzuul Posts: 254
As a life long music aficionado I'm really open to new music and it's rare I dismiss something without hearing it first... but i feel like... sometimes i don't need to hear it to know that i'm not going to like it...

for me... the best example of this is tool. i am of the age that when they came out i was their demographic... and i love all kinds of music related to and similar to tool but for whatever reason i was never curious... my lack of interest was compounded by a completely arbitrary impression and mental image of the average tool fan... for some reason i found the scene surrounding the band to be off-putting...

fast forward to a few years ago when Maynard James Keenan was on Marc Maron's WTF podcast. going into i knew nothing about the dude or his band other than my above mentioned preconceived notions... well come to find out... that like me... tool are huge fans of King Crimson and Bill Hicks. there was a lot more I found fascinating and compelling about the interview but the Hicks and Crimson connection was a big deal for me.

So i went all in on the tool discography... and what do you know? now I'm a big fan... it's great music... and i feel like i needlessly missed out all those years... i'm still not convinced that my impression of their fans is wrong... so i don't feel bad about having not seen them live... but as far as the band and their sound goes... i'm here for that stuff...

what about you? are there any bands or artists that you dismissed for whatever reason only to find out later that you were mistaken and now you're a fan?

I have a similar story about how i became to be a deadhead but i won't bore you with the details...
speakers:
bowers & wilkins 685 S2
polk psw-10
components:
sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
interconnects:
guzi rca
monoprice onix series digital coaxial
transparent performance USB
transparent perfect image HDMI
speaker wire
audioquest type 4
power:
rhino-tek 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
vansevers 211 power cord
pangea ac-14 power cord
tubes:
amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
misc:
JRiver Media Center 24
sanus 24" speaker stands
auralex acoustics subdude II
DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.
Hall of Fame: [retired/sold]
polk monitor series 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
polk monitor series RTA 8T
kenwood kd-550 w/ SME 3009 Series III tonearm grado gold cartridge
adcom gfp-555II
marantz 2238b
luxman M-120A
technics sl-b10

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,868
    edited August 10
    Stones... Guns $ Roses... sometimes I don’t like their music because they are complete jerks, even though the music may not be so:bad.

Dylan and Springsteen come to mind as well.
    Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• zuulzuul Posts: 254
    Dylan and Springsteen come to mind as well.

yup. wasn't until i was in my late 20's early 30's that i finally got around to appreciating the boss and dylan... despite the fact that bob dylan and I share a birthday.... lol... when i was younger i wasn't trying to hear it. basement tapes and planet waves are two of my favorite albums now.
    speakers:
    bowers & wilkins 685 S2
    polk psw-10
    components:
    sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
    sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
    mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
    teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
    oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
    interconnects:
    guzi rca
    monoprice onix series digital coaxial
    transparent performance USB
    transparent perfect image HDMI
    speaker wire
    audioquest type 4
    power:
    rhino-tek 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
    vansevers 211 power cord
    pangea ac-14 power cord
    tubes:
    amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
    pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
    misc:
    JRiver Media Center 24
    sanus 24" speaker stands
    auralex acoustics subdude II
    DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
    rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.
    Hall of Fame: [retired/sold]
    polk monitor series 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
    polk monitor series RTA 8T
    kenwood kd-550 w/ SME 3009 Series III tonearm grado gold cartridge
    adcom gfp-555II
    marantz 2238b
    luxman M-120A
    technics sl-b10
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,816
    Insane Clown Posse and Slipknot. I haven't gotten around to listening to them, though. I'm cool with that.
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,786
    Not all Tool fans are as you described, actually I don’t think most are, if you ever went to one of their shows you would notice this, but I do understand where you’re coming from, a lot of their fans are complete Tools. For the most part their following reminds me of the Rush following...
    5he8u4xqp25o.jpeg
    x9d8gh5b80u4.jpeg
    qlhz9fivkbog.jpeg
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    My friend always told me he hated rock and roll. He wasn’t willing to listen to ny of it. When I got my turntable, he wanted to hear I, except all I had was rock, so he put up with it. Needless to say, he now very much enjoys it and is looking to get a turntable as well.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,417
    edited August 10
    not sure I've dismissed any for non-musical reasons. Closest would be Led Zeppelin, probably -- since they appear to have been, at least on average, mammoth jerks, they actively ripped off the blues musicians that they ostensibly venerated (although, by and large, the legal system caught up with those unseemly acts)... oh, and their music, by and large, was puerile.

So, mostly for musical reasons, but not just musical reasons :|

And, even in the case of LZ, there're a handful of their songs that I do really like. Heck, I even own a few of their rekkids... and I like the one with Stairway to Heaven on it -- and no real title, at least in the English language and Latin alphabet.

I will admit that, in the intervening decades, Robert Plant has demonstrated that he apparently wasn't cut from the same cloth as his colleagues. He gets a partial pass from me :) (I am sure that'd mean a lot to him ;) )

EDIT: I wonder what LZ would've been like if, as almost was the case, the band's lineup would have been Plant, Page, Entwistle (who reputedly gave the band its name) and Moon?
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • stretchlstretchl Posts: 916
    Theodore Nugent, for obvious reasons.
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Adcom GFA-555ii --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
    I love Ted... for obvious reasons.

Agreed!!!
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    [/EDIT: I wonder what LZ would've been like if, as almost was the case, the band's lineup would have been Plant, Page, Entwistle (who reputedly gave the band its name) and Moon?

It was Moonie, not Entwistle.
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Adcom GFA-555ii --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

Visuals
  • Msabot1Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    not sure I've dismissed any for non-musical reasons. Closest would be Led Zeppelin, probably -- since they appear to have been, at least on average, mammoth jerks, they actively ripped off the blues musicians that they ostensibly venerated (although, by and large, the legal system caught up with those unseemly acts)... oh, and their music, by and large, was puerile.

So, mostly for musical reasons, but not just musical reasons :|

And, even in the case of LZ, there're a handful of their songs that I do really like. Heck, I even own a few of their rekkids... and I like the one with Stairway to Heaven on it -- and no real title, at least in the English language and Latin alphabet.

I will admit that, in the intervening decades, Robert Plant has demonstrated that he apparently wasn't cut from the same cloth as his colleagues. He gets a partial pass from me :) (I am sure that'd mean a lot to him ;) )

EDIT: I wonder what LZ would've been like if, as almost was the case, the band's lineup would have been Plant, Page, Entwistle (who reputedly gave the band its name) and Moon?

Name for me one blues artist that has not borrowed a riff or run or altered it in some fashion or another...You would have to go back all the way back to the first blues master...the one who sold his soul....
    stretchl wrote: »
    [/EDIT: I wonder what LZ would've been like if, as almost was the case, the band's lineup would have been Plant, Page, Entwistle (who reputedly gave the band its name) and Moon?

It was Moonie, not Entwistle.

Interesting -- I heard it was John... but I didn't fact-check.
    I suspect much alcohol, elephant tranquilizer, or other recreational pharmacological agents was/were involved, regardless. :|
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    edited August 10
    The lack of Ted Nugent in my collection is strictly musically-driven :|
    This despite the fact that he is or was a "real" Ford Bronco owner, I might add.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,242
    Culture Club......
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 277
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Culture Club......

Lol! That’s awesome. Love their music but definitely not the cover of the book

For me a few come to mind. Talking Heads. Crazy front man with eclectic style nothing like me, but LOVE their music.

Used to hate the entire genre of Country music for the longest time because of the stigma of it all being about the cars and women lost, but now I celebrate most of the genre. Beautiful music and specifically bluegrass, some of my favorite music to listen to.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
    Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
    Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
    B-52’s
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

joecoulson wrote: »
    For me a few come to mind. Talking Heads. Crazy front man with eclectic style nothing like me, but LOVE their music.

Photographed Talking Heads’ “Speaking in Tongues” tour from the pit in ‘83. Saw David Byrne recently from the second row. Both amazing shows, but different, and each highly recommended.
    Hi-Fi

Visuals
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,529
    edited August 11
    None. Good music is good music regardless of the political views of any members.

Is this how far we've come with the us vs them mentality? Ted Nugent is an incredible guitar player, your loss.

Edit: I suppose I should clarify that I mean to an extent. I'm not going to listen to a band that spews **** rhetoric or something along those lines
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • decaldecal Posts: 3,051
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
    I don’t dislike an artist or group based on politics, but rather on their conduct as a human being. Example is Axl Rose.... the guy is a world class tool.

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 384
    U2...for musicial, and non-musical reasons...
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,610
    Kiss and Daft Punk shouldn't be on the list.

I don't think I'd ever want to go look at and listen to most of that list seeing how they want to portray themselves. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Kiss I like for fun, but not for serious listening.

You wanted the best you got it the hottest band in the land... KISS!!!!!!

Close.

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,530
    Deadmou5 and Buckethead are akin to daft punk and Steve Vai respectively
    Viking64 wrote: »

Close.

Nope mine is exact. Its off Kiss alive. Do better research.
    Nope mine is exact. Its off Kiss alive. Do better research.

Don't be so uptight.
  • gcegce Posts: 2,146
    I just don't understand why The Grateful Dead have such a large following. I've tried but I just can't get into them, Musically or vocally.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703