1993-2002 Trans am

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Hello all,
anyone own a Trans am in the 93-02 model years? I'm considering picking up a 98-02 model WS6 Ram Air model since they have the LS1 engine which is supposed to be a much better engine then the LT1 that comes in the 93-97 model years.
Anyone have any opinions on these year models? auto or 6 speed is fine.

Thanks
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Friend of mine has a 98... Cool look..but handles and rides like a go cart...
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited August 2018
    I have a 97 Camaro SS, LT1, 6 speed which I've owned since new. Gets used as a sunny day driver & hibernates during the winter. It's not a great vehicle to daily drive.

Honestly, if you are looking for a sports car there are any number of newer vehicles which will smoke the 4th gen F-body in every way, LT1 or LS1. I keep mine because it's a lower mileage fun car, that isn't worth squat, so no point in selling.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Handles like a go cart is awesome. Rides like a go kart sucks! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    The spark plugs are fun. :*

Cool looking cars, but I agree...somewhat of a crashy ride. Thirsty in the city, hwy mileage isn't awful but once you drive one around for a short while, it's nice to get in a newer, more "elevated" vehicle that is smoother to drive.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    gmcman wrote: »
    The spark plugs are fun. :*

Cool looking cars, but I agree...somewhat of a crashy ride. Thirsty in the city, hwy mileage isn't awful but once you drive one around for a short while, it's nice to get in a newer, more "elevated" vehicle that is smoother to drive.

Doing spark plugs on an LT1 is just an excuse to get headers.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I remember hearing you had to drop the engine to change spark plugs on camero? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Not that the OP would, but ever try driving one of these in the snow, it is almost impossible.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2018
    I knew people that bought these as daily drivers (of course) here in the Midwest, but after a winter or two they were dumping them.

But yeah, bad enough on wet pavement let alone frozen.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I remember hearing you had to drop the engine to change spark plugs on a Camaro? Peace. D

Fixed that for you.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    Don't over look the 2005-2006 GTO

Man I always wanted to drive one of those little 6. whatever GTO's. I bet they screamed!! I never seen one get on it and roast tires so I never knew if they were front or rear wheel drive.

• gmcman
    Not sure if you want the mean a$$ swoopy look of the ram air trans am.... but like DSkip said, I would personally avoid them.

If it's a rear-drive V8 car you're after, I would look at the 4-valve 4.6 Mustang Cobras.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yea i was thinking they were 6.6 liter. Agree i was not to hot on the looks myself, but one can over look a lot on a go fast car i mean heck look at AMC lol
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2018
    g1xhaqeoyww8.jpg

This would be my call as well. Nice car and about the same price as the WS6 with better ride, handling and easier to work on. They can also be modded to the hilt.

These may well be an under the radar gem in the future as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Pontiac-GTO/183366665234?hash=item2ab1814412:g:Bo4AAOSwSoVbZ49X&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTO-Coupe/352419786483?hash=item520ddb2ef3:g:fUcAAOSwxudbYRJO&vxp=mtr
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    Not that the OP would, but ever try driving one of these in the snow, it is almost impossible.
    This would be a weekend warrior vehicle to play with, go to the track and build it etc.
    I see them going fairly cheap.
    I have a 2017 Dodge Durango R/T as my daily driver.

Dan
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2018
    I loved that car In High School. My senior year a friend of mine who was/is related to Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner) invited me to Hugh and Barbs home (Marilyn’s Parents) for the weekend to celebrate the release of mechanical animals in Canton Ohio. Hugh was rolling around in a Trans Am Ram Air WS6 that Brian had bought for him. That thing was awesome, black with red accents, blacked out windows and the Antichrist superstar logo on the back glass. Definitely suited the father of Satan.

It would still be a cool car to have, I’d do it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gmcman
    While the interior was the typical GM, plastic rattle world....the exterior styling even today is very sleek. I would love to find a low mile, minty 1990 GTA.

I always loved these cars, when cleaned up like this I think they look great.

Web pic.

sd0jhs1k8hv7.jpg
  • Ohh that’s pretty.

When I was a kid in perfect hillbilly fashion I had a set of those wheels bolted to a maroon 97 Chevy s10 with big 4cyl and 5spd. Wasn’t I cool
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    '79 Z28, bought new at age 19. Responded well to mods...

rvgqlvd1h44g.jpg
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    0nj2bw5dpad4.png
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • gmcman
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    While the interior was the typical GM, plastic rattle world....the exterior styling even today is very sleek. I would love to find a low mile, minty 1990 GTA.

Web pic.

The 1989 GTA Anniversary is one of my favorites. It's the only year that GM put the V6 turbo charged engine from the Grand National in them. Not too long ago, these were selling pretty cheap. Now 89 GTA's Anniversaries are selling for big bucks for a nice one.

Yeah, I agree.....they also pull some big coin.

I remember when it was released, it was the fastest production American car.

However, Chevy had 2 vettes already just before the "Fastest cars in America" issue came out. So they pushed the 32V LT5 powered ZR-1 so it could be released in time for the 1989 shootout.

The 89 Turbo T/A I believe was in that article at 162 MPH, but the ZR-1 bested it at 181 MPH, iirc.

Chevy ..or maybe GM at that time, couldn't have the Vette not come in 1st place.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I had a 2000 w6 ragtop before i bought the Corvette. The 2000 w6 was a great car. Lots of fun. The one thing that does go out on them is they flip headlights. The plastic gear sucks. They do have good aftermarket gears for them.
    Lots of mods out there in general for them .
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Almost forgot the plugs, they supposedly had a special tool to get to the back plugs. I sold mine with 74k on it so the original plugs were still good.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nooshinjohn
    I had the very similar 1995 Z28 Camaro in 1998. The car went through tires very quickly. By the time the car turned 100k, it was toast. When I bought it, I could have grabbed a 95 Toyota Twin Turbo Supra for exactly the same fifteen grand. When the Camaro and I parted ways in 2004, I got squat for it, but that damn Supra I scoffed at was worth 75k plus...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis

Web pic.

sd0jhs1k8hv7.jpg
    The 82-90 Trans am's I have a soft spot for. The 89 Turbo was my personal favorite.

Dan
  • erniejade
    DSkip wrote: »
    erniejade wrote: »
    Almost forgot the plugs, they supposedly had a special tool to get to the back plugs. I sold mine with 74k on it so the original plugs were still good.

You sold yours before it got to the breaking point. Mine started falling apart around 95k.

Skip. You said yours was the v6 not 8 correct?.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I had the very similar 1995 Z28 Camaro in 1998. The car went through tires very quickly. By the time the car turned 100k, it was toast. When I bought it, I could have grabbed a 95 Toyota Twin Turbo Supra for exactly the same fifteen grand. When the Camaro and I parted ways in 2004, I got squat for it, but that damn Supra I scoffed at was worth 75k plus...

Doh!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    Mine had something called an Optispark distributor that was below and behind the water pump. At 89k, the water pump got a small leak, fouled out the optispark, and stalled the car in the middle of the 405 at rush hour.

Another time, on the very same freeway, the latch on the driver's side T-top failed, and at 75 mile an hour, the wind sucked it right off the car, at night. a BMW behind me caught it in the middle of the hood, hit the center divider and spun a couple times. I pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the driver to come over, but he never did.

• So your t-top ejected and wrecked another car, and you did not go over and check on them, ok.

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2018
    So your t-top ejected and wrecked another car, and you did not go over and check on them, ok.

By the time I came to a stop, I was more than two blocks away from his car. The 405 is 6 lanes of traffic wide in each direction, and cars travel a minimum of 70mph AND it was 9:30 at night. In the location I was at, it would have taken more than 20 minutes to have exited the freeway and travelled the other direction, gotten off again and doubled back.

If you can tell me how I could have gotten to his car (not even sure it was still there... he may have driven off) and NOT gotten killed in the process, I will donate 500 bucks to the charity of your choice. I did the only thing I could responsibly do and pulled to the side of the road and waited. No emergency vehicles showed up, and the other driver never came over either.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2018
    la2vegas wrote: »

That's because he was probably dead. o:)
    No chance on that...

Can we get back to the OP's topic now?