jbixfwd6fsvp.jpg

So far...
qlfb0i8i79aw.jpg

Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    Cool! Keep me in mind if selling eventually becomes an option. I passed on the first 2 offerings. Now I'm on a waiting list.

Anxious to see the build progress

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    Looks like fun!
    Which model did you go with?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,552
    Silver stereo.

Blake - I’ll keep you looped in and you’re #1 on the list,

Another step done.

uv3ysklp20ab.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    pieces.
    are.
    good.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pieces.
    are.
    good.

Not when its my gear. For me, pieces means that it may never be assembled correctly ever again. :tongue:
  • mhardy6647
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    pieces.
    are.
    good.

Not when its my gear. For me, pieces means that it may never be assembled correctly ever again. :tongue:
    You are young, young Jedi. Experience, it will come.

Yoda Trioda
  • ALL212
    Lol... Blake... Brock...

I’m a moron..
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Tonight’s progress. Directions for this are terrible, doable, but terrible.

d74lte2x2ryr.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • heiney9
    I knew who you meant. Looking good!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    Directions?! Ever see the Venn diagram describing men and directions?

There is no intersection.

;)
  • ALL212
    Directions:
    Step 1:
    I don't mind that you have to figure out where the proper resistors go on the board - read schematic, place proper resistors. Insure you have a MM.
    Step 2: build the chassis...what? when done with step 2 you've successfully built the chassis. There is nothing in it but you've built the chassis. If you've mounted the circuit boards you have a chassis with two circuit boards in it but no connections or connectors.
    Step 3: place the connectors - maybe step 2 should go at the end?

Now realize that the pictures are not of the connectors you have. Wing it.

Step 4: wiring... "use some wire". ok...I can do that, but how much? Do I have enough?

I think the major whoops is step 2 - it needs to go later in the build.

Again - doable...but could be so much better!

I'm at step 1.5 - realize that step 2 is in the wrong spot and how do I figure out how much wire to use with it disassembled so at assembly I don't come up short or have an extra 10' of wire in here.

Bitchin' session over...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mlistens03
    pieces.
    are.
    good.

Yoda Trioda

HA! Love the Star Wars reference.
    I actually fully disassembled a receiver the other day (an Onkyo TX-V940) down to every single board, and actually put it back together! My skills are increasing!! :wink:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited August 2018
    pieces.
    are.
    good.

Yoda Trioda

I actually fully disassembled a receiver the other day (an Onkyo TX-V940) down to every single board, and actually put it back together! My skills are increasing!! :wink:

But does it work???
  • mlistens03
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    pieces.
    are.
    good.

Yoda Trioda

But does it work???

uh... I-uh... hmm... well... ye-no. :wink:
    But in my defense, it was already broken when I started. The only reason I took it apart was to find something amiss... but, alas, there was nothing to be found.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Tonight’s progress. Directions for this are terrible, doable, but terrible.

Nice work but you need a refresher course on symmetry. Phillips screw heads should all be clocked in the same position. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    I had to throw the whole thing away... I couldn't get all the screw heads clocked right.

Finis… The directions just plain suck but it is doable.

Wire layout just prior to mounting the back panel:
    382igpn6ur5t.jpg

Cat 5 wire to led, their "speaker connection" wire to power supply, Mogami from inputs and a stripped out Canare wire to the speaker outs.
    ghjiaeu3j57p.jpg

Back panel completed:
    jojsu1e6jq1i.jpg

The Back of the back - middle connector does nothing but fill a hole. Use that for balanced in on mono's.
    96xtyo1dm9yv.jpg

The Front of the front - that switch - does nothing but fill a hole. Power switch is on the back where it should be.
    yrlbr1hhqzbh.jpg

It plays! Will need to put it on something other than the test rig to see what it can do.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Kewl! Nice work! I really dig the bat handle switch! We'll have to think of an alternate plug for the front panel switch.

BTW, nice you see you got some class..... :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    Nice!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Kewl! Nice work! I really dig the bat handle switch! We'll have to think of an alternate plug for the front panel switch.

How about a power meter with a soft blue glow...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    How about a power meter with a soft blue glow...

The answer, right here!
  • mhardy6647

Quickly, Robin! The Bat Handle Switch!

:|
  • ALL212

I thought I got shots to keep me safe from that!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    edited August 2018
    I gave it a real job. Volume on pre @ 3 o’clock

1n6e6oakk2n2.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Not when its my gear. For me, pieces means that it may never be assembled correctly ever again. You paid your money and took your chances ...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • SCompRacer
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I gave it a real job. Volume on pre @ 3 o’clock

Sweet jebus, IIRC 88dB sensitivity? What a workout!
  • ALL212
    And now a bit of crow...kinda.

Found out the 1.6 build directions had yet to be done and are not yet released. So...you release a build without direction? No wonder I was a bit confused and aggravated.

That back switch is for flipping between balanced and not balanced. Since I am not balanced and don't intend to be balanced it stays.

The switch of the front is, indeed, the power switch on a normal build. I am also not normal so it stays as is, unused.

BAJEEZUS!!!

On the other hand - this thing is nice. The Carvers have its temp up a bit but nothing has caught fire yet. I've been listening for a couple of hours and no fatigue and no bitchin.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    knt10qpk522c.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    knt10qpk522c.jpg

so, so close...

ccworbllg3gi.png
  • ALL212
    What is really ironic is that, other than wiring and upgraded caps, I intended to build this stock.

Oops . :#
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire