Tidal hifi streaming

So I just signed up for the 30 day trial and did some a/b testing back and forth with Apple Music. Quite a difference in audio quality. Will see if I actually get use out of it as the wife loves the seamless integration of Apple Music into our cars and phones, but as I type this I am listening to Tori Amos and and thinking I need to stop buying CD’s for a while and enjoy this service.
Any of you have this and have you compared with other streaming services and have anything to add?
TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,672
    It's the only way I listen to music anymore. Keep in mind if you are listening through a computer that a streamer will elevate the sound even more.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 5,369
    I use Tidal with Streaming Devices and a solid state PC and DAC. I've added a Chromecast Audio device as well. Certainly the best SQ and convenience option in audio. You can make up some great playlists like they were mix tapes B) B)
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Marantz SR5011 AVR | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC |Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node | Audioengine P4 | Peachtree Nova 125SE |

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 277
    I just have the Sonos connect which I know is no where near the best but it’s what I have currently. I have it connected to the Pre using toslink. So at least I am using the Marantz DAC and not the Sonos one.
    I would like to get a pro streamer, just not sure if I wanna drop $1500-3k on one. Not sure if the bluesound node 2 is worth $500 or if it will be a glorified Sonos.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
    If you are part of the Apple infrastructure look for a used AURALiC Aries Mini. They were and still are the best streamer under $500. At any rate, the Sonos is much improved over a PC.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    So that brings up a question I cannot seem to answer, is there much of a difference between that mini and the bluesound IF I am send the signal to a sep DAC? Would there be much difference in those from the Sonos for that matter? I get the DAC’s would make the most impact downstream, but is there that much of a difference in the way 1’s and 0’s are handled?
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Yes. This is not projected at you, but I really wish people would stop the '1s and 0s' argument. There is much more in that signal than just the data, and part of that is the noise generated from the transport (in this case, the streamer).

I would suggest doing a google search on the Node vs. the Mini.

I currently use a Mini for my main digital transport but do have an Aries G1 en route. I'm excited to get this one in.
    audiothesis.com/

Any thoughts on the Cambridge CXN v2?
    And no offense taken, will google the comparisons
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Actually, no. I haven't had the opportunity to deal with one yet. I also haven't heard from anyone who I trust that has.
    audiothesis.com/

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,315
    Love tidal! Use both a Bryston BDP-1 and a little NUC computer and while the bryston is definitely superior, the computer works great for causal listening and sounds really decent unless you are really listening critically, which I almost never am in the family room.

I’ve bought maybe 5 cds in the last year...

The next step is Roon, definitely takes it to the next level especially if your library is digitized.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • DerfDerf Posts: 170
    @DSkip set me up with an Aries mini and North Star Supremo DAC which I use to stream Tidal. I really like the service. I added a Marantz SA8004 just because I wanted to try out SACDs. Bought Santana’s “Abraxas” from MOFI. Tidal stream of the same album gives slightly more detail.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
    Skip is your experience with the Node or the Node2 ? Important to note that the Mini is an end of life product and only integrates with IOS where the Bluesound products integrate with IOS Android Windows MAC Chrome OS and receives many updates and excellent support as a current product. I would be curious to do a comparison with Fred's mini /North Star rig vs my Node2 Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.

Maybe we can meet up after Hurricane season Fred?
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Marantz SR5011 AVR | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC |Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
    edited August 6
    Ears I trust say the Node 2 still doesn't best the Aries Mini. I fully see your points and those weren't factored into my opinion - only performance was. Up to this point, all updates have been applicable to any AURALiC product though so it is still supported.

I SHOULD be more on top of this, but I do know that AURALiC has developed a web-based 'remote' as well. I haven't played around with it yet but might give it a go on my PC when I get the G1 in. Also, it is able to be controlled by ROON now - so there is that.

The reality is that AURALiC probably made no money on the Mini and treated it like a loss-leader. It is definitely a product that offered much more than its modest $500 price tag suggested. Even after they were discontinued, I bought nightfall's Mini so I could have another one around. It really is the definitive entry-level streaming device as long as owning Apple isn't an issue for you.

I know most of you are aware I am an AURALiC dealer and honestly, that doesn't sway my opinion. The Mini is discontinued so there is no point in talking it up from a dealer stance anyways. I sold the last three that were imported to the US and was completely disheartened when they ceased production.
    audiothesis.com/

Sounds good, Mike. Look forward to it!

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,789
    Derf wrote: »
    Sounds good, Mike. Look forward to it!

Let me know when this may happen :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    You coming to SW FL Ronnie?

edited August 7
    You coming to SW FL Ronnie?

If timing right I'll puddle jump from Pensacola to Tampa area for $250
    Just need 3 weeks notice

In the future may have a Buc-ee's coming to your area. There are 4 on the schedule, only disclosed are Daytona and St Johns
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    Cool but we are closer to Fort Myers... Tampa is about 2 hours north of me and about 3.5 hours north of Fred...

Nevermind there are no non stops.... we will work it out

Cool but we are closer to Fort Myers... Tampa is about 2 hours north of me and about 3.5 hours north of Fred...

Nevermind there are no non stops.... we will work it out

Driving 2hrs for me is like most people driving 30min...can do a lot of business on the ground :)
    This is my route this Thursday and Friday

c5k4xqpd4sbd.jpg
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,318
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ..can do a lot of business on the ground :)

Yeah, we know. You and Tom have a lot in common it appears. :p :p :D :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    tonyb wrote: »
    ..can do a lot of business on the ground :)

Yeah, we know. You and Tom have a lot in common it appears. :p :p :D :D

hey now, you're the one with pics on your cell phone :p
    Let me know when this may happen :)
    Sounds like we’re getting a party started!

They're not just on his phone the NSA has them too!!!

I might be able to ship a little something something for you guys to play around with.
    audiothesis.com/

Intriguing B)

Skip. Was trying to locate that Aries mini to no avail. Any ideas on where to find?
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Music Direct might still have some in stock but other than that you’ll have to find used units.
    audiothesis.com/

• rburgess714rburgess714 Posts: 251
    The mini is hands down one of the best audio purchases I have made over the last couple years. Easy to use, sounds great a lot of bang for the buck. Worth waiting for on the used market.
    Living Room
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Yamaha BD-S681, Auralic Aries Mini, Polk S60, CSiA6, Samsung 60" LED
    Office
    B&K Ref 50, B&K 200.2, Chromecast, LSiM 703s
    Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Rich502Rich502 Posts: 88
    The mini is hands down one of the best audio purchases I have made over the last couple years. Easy to use, sounds great a lot of bang for the buck. Worth waiting for on the used market.

I agree, can’t believe I didn’t pick one up when they were still making them. Now to find an alternate, that does the same thing, even if slightly more money.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,271
    Does Tidal have like a radio function where you can just tell it you want classic rock, and it will play songs? Like Pandora?
    Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; Belden 1694A Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM