are there any decent freeware real time analyzers?

mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,073
I'm not utterly averse to investing in proper software (and hardware) eventually -- but in the meantime I'd like to have some tool, even if crude, to look at frequency response in-room using an ostensibly calibrated microphone :)

No smartphone here :| -- so I am wondering if there is a safe, decent, relatively easy to use RTA/spectrum analyzer for (ahem) Windows 10 out there? Google turns up all kinds of things... but one is always a bit skeptical of 'as found' s/w downloads.

I figured if there were (or if there weren't!)folks here would know!

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Comments

• tratlifftratliff Posts: 651
    edited August 2
    Take a look at the REW (Room EQ Wizard) software. I think you can download it for free. Then pick up a USB mic and you will all set. I have been using it for the last year. Think I am in it for less than $100 with the mic. Provides a lot of functionality.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,073
    I didn't know REW was freeware/shareware; thanks!
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,624
    What are you doing? I've been thinking I should use something like this to help blend my sub with my bookshelves in my 2(.1)-channel setup. I have ears like Dumbo.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 318
    The problem with these analyzers / DB meters is you are never sure if you are measuring your system or the limits of the microphone you are using.

Smartphones and most computer microphones are made for voice only. When you see that big drop in the low base and high treble is it really your system? Or a cheap non calibrated mic?
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,073
    edited August 3
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    What are you doing? I've been thinking I should use something like this to help blend my sub with my bookshelves in my 2(.1)-channel setup. I have ears like Dumbo.

I am going to try active (analog) crossovers on the frankenaltecs. I have acquired a pair of
    EV XEQ-3 XOs from one of the Boston area gurus who used them as test mules while designing & building bespoke active crossovers for his loudspeakers (which, in some respects, resemble my Frankenaltecs in philosophy -- although more integrated in execution!).

67j61lr1tj0e.png

I was gonna hook 'em up and start playing around, and I realized that matching output levels by ear between bass and treble amplifiers was not a great idea.

For the record -- I have a cheap calibrated microphone :)
    One of these:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone--390-801