Polk Audio PSW10..............what do you think?

KaraokeAmerica
KaraokeAmerica Posts: 8
edited July 2018 in Speakers
I have a room that is roughly 12x19 feet.

I am running a Denon AVR-S730H, two pairs of Polk T-15's, a T-30 center channel speaker and I'm looking at a sub. Ultimately I'm going to go Atmos, but for now a sub is the next addition.

What is the opinion of this one:

Polk Audio PSW10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVQBA/

It's hard to beat for the $$$ if it's anything like the T-series speakers I own. Anything I'm not considering here? It seems like a good fit!

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I think you should up your budget and get a good sub.
  • rpf65 wrote: »

I don't understand. Are you saying that is not a good one?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    The subwoofer is $100 speed with 2 day shipping....

It will hit as low as a good pair of tower speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Psw505 on there for 200
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    The PSW-10 presents good value, but you can go up a hundred bucks or two and get something a thousand times better. And if it was any more expensive, it could probably be considered junk. It could probably be considered trash now TBH.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 wrote: »

Looks like you’re building a HT set up.
    The PSW 10 doesn’t have an LFE input. This is the .1 channel, and it is a recognized channel in the sound mixing process. Your AVR is designed to send that signal, this sub doesn’t have the input to receive that information.

Specs say it can dig to 35Hz. Not good at all for HT duty, and barely acceptable for a budget music based system.

No, I do not consider the PSW 10 a good subwoofer. You can get much better subs for not much more.

The above mentioned PSW 505 is much better choice, for not a lot more. It has the LFE input, and the specs say it will dig down to 23 Hz. You will hear many more explosions with it. It’s a pretty good budget sub.

Those 2 reasons alone should have you considering a larger investment in a sub.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    @rpf65 I agree with your comments regarding performance, but the PSW 10 clearly has a LFE input.

61766.jpg

• rpf65
    Guy at work asked me what LFE was 3 or 4 weeks ago. Said he was looking at subs, and a review he read on the PSW 10 said it didn’t have an LFE input. Looked and a few of them mentioned the same thing.

Guess they figured if it isn’t labeled LFE, it just isn’t an LFE input.
  • VR3
    LFE input, in my experience, generally has no filter as the filtering comes from the AVR. In the event of the PSW10 you would crank the crossover up as high as it would go and then use the filters from the AVR so you do not double filter
  • KaraokeAmerica
    KaraokeAmerica Posts: 8
    edited July 2018

Looks like you’re building a HT set up.
    The PSW 10 doesn’t have an LFE input. This is the .1 channel, and it is a recognized channel in the sound mixing process. Your AVR is designed to send that signal, this sub doesn’t have the input to receive that information.

Specs say it can dig to 35Hz. Not good at all for HT duty, and barely acceptable for a budget music based system.

No, I do not consider the PSW 10 a good subwoofer. You can get much better subs for not much more.

The above mentioned PSW 505 is much better choice, for not a lot more. It has the LFE input, and the specs say it will dig down to 23 Hz. You will hear many more explosions with it. It’s a pretty good budget sub.

Those 2 reasons alone should have you considering a larger investment in a sub.

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I'm putting together a HT setup.

I've had a "setup" all along, but it's been an out of the box, off the shelf, Onkyo 5.1 setup about 2010 vintage. It works sufficiently when weighed against any realistic upgrade since I have no viable way to update wiring or add additional speakers for examples. The living room is on the first floor of a 2 story house and the wiring was done when it was built so if it isn't in there now it's not going to be! That setup has a sub, but it's an off the shelf Onkyo setup. Not expensive. Again....sufficient for putting cartoons on for my son and low volume, 2-channel, family movie night.

I acknowledge that although I truly appreciate all the stuff I consume in a theater and at home, I am not en expert in equipment. Frankly, I was ripping all my movies....even BR....to stereo because I didn't really understand it. I just kind of ripped and played. Currently I do that from a Plex server to whatever device I'm viewing on including phones etc. This HT I'm putting together now is in my "man cave". It's an open, 2nd floor loft, but I have a projector and eventually I'm going to go full Atmos. I'm a believer in buying stuff when it's a good deal, not when you need it, so it's been a long term project.

All that being said, thanks for the feedback on the sub. I see the 505 and added it to my cart. No issue with the price, but I also know that more $$$ does not automatically mean better, so that's why I threw it out here. I know the 505 is 2" bigger, but other than that I'm not an expert, like I said. I can walk through Fry's and see $1000+ subs on display and think to myself that I don't care how good it sounds, I'm not spending that kind of cash on a speaker. I can always upgrade down the road, but if you buy a $1000 sub and don't like it, I don't think it would be a good investment.....

I am not buying this immediately so I appreciate any more feedback! Even if I stick with a 505 at least I can learn something from your comments!

Thanks all!
  • VR3
    Investment just depends on how you look at it...

PSW505 - purchase price $200 - use it 3 years, sell it used $80, cost $120. if it breaks (known for amp issues within the first 3 years - throw it away, cost $200

SVS subwoofer - $500 - use it for 3 to 5 years, sell it used for $300 to $350 all day... long term cost $150 to $200

Value is relative...

Find a stellar deal on a used sub that used to be $1,000 for $350 - use it for 5 years, sell it for $350, cost $0

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    VR3 wrote: »

PSW505 - purchase price $200 - use it 3 years, sell it used $80, cost $120. if it breaks (known for amp issues within the first 3 years - throw it away, cost $200

SVS subwoofer - $500 - use it for 3 to 5 years, sell it used for $300 to $350 all day... long term cost $150 to $200

Value is relative...

Find a stellar deal on a used sub that used to be $1,000 for $350 - use it for 5 years, sell it for $350, cost $0

Sid the Kid knows how to wheel and deal....
  • VR3
    lol... that or I just realized a long time ago that anything in life cheap is actually very expensive.

You cant resell junk.
  • rpf65
    If your not in a hurry for a sub look at the following internet direct sites:

Hsu Research

Power Sound Audio

Rythmik Audio

SVSound

These are probably the most popular reasonably priced sub companies.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited July 2018

Value is relative...

This is exactly where I have ended up. Do your research, buy good used equipment, and you can use it for 1-3 years (often more) and lose little to nothing on your initial investment. I haven’t bought a new piece of equipment in years...

On the other hand, some people just don’t want to mess with research, buying used and with buying and selling. If that’s you then buy the psw10 or preferably 505 and call it a day. Chances are you’ll be happy...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited July 2018
    I guess I thought line level inputs were the same as LFE. I was wrong:

"On sub amps that are equipped with both, the 'LFE input' USUALLY bypasses the sub's own low-pass filter (sometimes called its 'crossover'), completely. And the low-pass filter setting WOULD be applied to the other pair of inputs. When connecting a sub conventionally, to an AVR's sub out, the 'LFE input' would be the preferred connection on a so-equipped amp.

But if your amp doesn't have this sort of 'LFE input', and it has no sort of low-pass filter bypass switch, and you are connecting the sub conventionally to your AVR's sub out, then set the amp's low-pass filter setting to the highest possible setting. "

"When using LFE, the receiver will send all the low frequencies to the subwoofer. You will have to set the xover frequency on your receiver to achieve this. So if you set it at 80hz (wich is the recommended setting for use with towers) anything under that 80hz will be handle by the sub. You have to make sure your speakers are set to "small" for this application.

When using "line in" all the low frequencies that would normally go to your L / R, speakers, will be "intercepted" by your sub. You will have to use the xover frequency directly from your sub to achieve this. You have to make sure your speakers are set to "large" for this application. This method although not as popular, tend to have the same effect as not much content under 80ishHz (from a movie soundtrack for instance) would be directed to your surround back and or your center."
    Guy at work asked me what LFE was 3 or 4 weeks ago. Said he was looking at subs, and a review he read on the PSW 10 said it didn’t have an LFE input. Looked and a few of them mentioned the same thing.

Guess they figured if it isn’t labeled LFE, it just isn’t an LFE input.

• rooftop59 wrote: »

Value is relative...

This is exactly where I have ended up. Do your research, buy good used equipment, and you can use it for 1-3 years (often more) and lose little to nothing on your initial investment. I haven’t bought a new piece of equipment in years...

On the other hand, some people just don’t want to mess with research, buying used and with buying and selling. If that’s you then buy the psw10 or preferably 505 and call it a day. Chances are you’ll be happy...

Thanks. I have no issue with used equipment. I buy used cars. lol

The issue for me was that I don't know enough about the "value" to know if spending $300 is going to do more for me than the $150 model. Enough to be noticeable anyway....

I'll start looking around at the local papers. I'm always up for a good deal!