Polk SRT additional channels and/or Atmos???

katomklysmkatomklysm Posts: 33
Hey Guys, anybody with an SRT system go to an Atmos setup with it? Just wondering, not a lot of room on top of the satellites, but in-ceiling or side(might) would work....its just a thought, or do i NOT mess with a Classic. And if anyone has, what brand speakers did you go with???? P.S. My wife does NOT know i'm even thinking about this,lol.

Comments

• katomklysmkatomklysm Posts: 33
    ngttproji9p7.jpg
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    I don’t have an SRT system, so I don’t have an idea of the sound, but if it’s similar to the LSi series, Polk did make a line of in wall and in ceiling speakers voiced for that series, so those may work, you’ll just have to find them. DefTech also makes some nice in-ceiling speakers. Otherwise, I dont know.
    My $0.02
    Micah
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,435
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I don’t have an SRT system, so I don’t have an idea of the sound, but if it’s similar to the LSi series, Polk did make a line of in wall and in ceiling speakers voiced for that series, so those may work, you’ll just have to find them. DefTech also makes some nice in-ceiling speakers. Otherwise, I dont know.
    My $0.02
    Micah

I wouldn't fret too much on surrounds being voiced and you can closer associate the SRT system to the RT series of speakers in terms of tweeters. To the OP you really don't have a lot of room at all do you haha! I can't really comment as I haven't done Atmos in general but ceiling or some mounted SVS elevation surrounds might do a decent job. Sorry I can't offer more.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    Good stuff guys, yeah I figured that was the response I was going to get.....i got a couple of older B and W Rock Solids that are pretty good and they are extremely directional, maybe I'll play around with those before I decide to spend, overheads would be killer, I'm sure......Thanks!
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,993
    edited July 24
    Having experienced the full SRT system multiple times you shouldn't need any additional speakers.

Looking at your pic, the speakers should not be toed in. If you are driving them with only the Pioneer AVR you're not getting even close to what those speakers are capable of.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• tonybtonyb Posts: 29,318
    They make numerous Atmos speakers and I wouldn't worry too much about voice matching. Looks like you have limited space on top of the speakers so choose one wisely. Def tech would probably sound close.

I'll also second putting an amp to those SRT's, being a former owner myself....and nix the toe in too as already stated.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,137
    edited July 24
    Having just recently seen the movie Skyscraper in ATMOS / IMAX theater, I agree with all of the suggestions. Maximizing 5.1 should be the first step. Getting a beastly amp would be the best start towards a stout ATMOS system.

Something like this 7 ch x 300W monster:http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7900.html

Or the cool new ATI Hypex N-Core Class D amps: http://www.ati-amp.com/AT52XNC.php

Then, see if you can get four speakers in the ceiling. Shoot for a robust 6.5" or 8" that has good output.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    I knew this was coming, about the power, the Pio is a class D Continuous Power Output (1 kHz, 4 Ω, 1.0%) 255 W per channel, runs super cool, app sound customization is a awesome with so many different music sources nowadays,and easily shakes the house if i need it to, my uncle lost a good part of his hearing from these and warned me when he gave them to me, will I add an external ? Maybe, certainly can't justify $3500 to the wife, I was lucky to get the Pio for $1600, toe in is gone I was prolly working behind there when that pic was taken....well, Thanks for all the input
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,993
    edited July 27
    I own a TOTL real Pioneer Elite AVR and while an excellent AVR, it cannot do justice to the SRT system.

FYI, the specs you quoted....1.0% THD is extremely audible. The AVR is on the verge of clipping at that point, so the 255wpc rating is worthless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

I understand, I think I said 3500 is not happening and I was lucky to get the Pio with my wife's blessings, I guess I will have to deal will all that distortion for now. Jaws still hit the floor though when I throw in my Pacific Rim 4k.