butcher block cutting boards for equipment

marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,127
edited July 19 in 2 Channel Audio
Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
Post edited by marvda1 on

Comments

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,735
    SDA end caps haha.
  • mark090852mark090852 Posts: 730
    edited July 21
    This guy's shop is just a few miles from me. He builds some beautiful isolation platforms.
    http://www.timbernation.com/
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers.
    Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,672
    They're beautiful pieces of furniture. Nothing more. There is no thought in these products about how they can actually influence the sound.

He uses the term isolation platform, but there is nothing isolating about them. They are just slabs of wood with feet on them.

I have always admired the beauty of his products though.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,753
    edited July 21
    I've debated this but mainly because I could then drill through it and attach my towers to them and then put spikes on them and be good. My towers upstairs are 35lbs a pop and very skinny so they tip easy, even if I put them on spikes. I need a wide base to keep em from tipping.

That said, I'd contact our local resident woodworker Ryan @ZLTFUL to commission some from him. He's got access to all the good stuff and knows what he's doing.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    I had to put plinths under the T50 like that Dan. It's a good solution given their weight and flimsy nature on carpet.

If you get a heavy enough piece of wood then you don't need the spikes. Just more work and expense.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 277
    I run a cabinet company and our sister company does granite. I’ve always thought about making some platforms for my gear out of it, just never really followed through.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
    Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
    Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,411
    DSkip wrote: »
    They're beautiful pieces of furniture. Nothing more. There is no thought in these products about how they can actually influence the sound.

He uses the term isolation platform, but there is nothing isolating about them. They are just slabs of wood with feet on them.

Really? No isolation?

How come it's much harder to hear someone talking being a closed wooden door?

Take a pair of headphones and put one side on one ear, and, on the other side put a piece of the 2, or , 3 inch butcher block over that ear before putting the earphone on. Tell me it doesn't isolate.

Perhaps it doesn't isolate as well, or, at the optimal frequencies as other materials, but, there is some isolation.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Proper isolation takes more than just a slab of wood. At best, these slabs can be considered tuning devices because they will impart their own sound onto the component. I've used them with success in the past but I don't want anyone looking at them and considering them isolating platforms.

Of all the ones shown, the one zeppage listed would probably be closest to what isolation is but still a far ways away. The composite build of the plinth will help reduce the resonance but not eliminate it.

As far as granite, it's beautiful but has no place in an audio rig. Granite and stone slabs are hard and thus introduce a hard resonance to your system. It will cause it to sound colder and shrill. I wish it wasn't so because nothing is prettier than a nice piece of granite.
    audiothesis.com/

• hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 5,029
    ys3myd0gsobu.jpeg
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - 1) Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold; 2) Sony PS LX410/Grado Green
    Phono Stage - PS Audio GCPH, Parks Audio Budgie; CD - Marantz DV4001
    Preamp - Dared SL2000a, Luminous Audio Axiom II; Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)

I have no issues with the products, just the description. I think it sets misleading expectations that even Kerry was hitting on.
    audiothesis.com/

Nice plinth! B)

I have no issues with the products, just the description. I think it sets misleading expectations that even Kerry was hitting on.

I was getting a lot of skips with footfalls in a previous setup and the weight of the butcher block helped tremendously.

In this setup, with the Ginkgo cloud... the butcher block is mostly to look cool. ;) B)
    Man Cave
    Preamp - Dared SL2000a, Luminous Audio Axiom II; Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,411
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I'd rather use glass and granite :#

I'm laying marble over my oak floors, and, lining my walls with glass from floor to ceiling to help bring some high frequencies back that the tubes are lacking. Want to get a bit more of an "etched" sound.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,789
    kharp1 wrote: »

I'm laying marble over my oak floors, and, lining my walls with glass from floor to ceiling to help bring some high frequencies back that the tubes are lacking. Want to get a bit more of an "etched" sound.

That'll have a nice ring to it :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    Don't forget to use Waterford bowls for your speaker enclosures. Beautiful and functional. Just be careful drilling out the terminal holes.
    audiothesis.com/

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,242
    Rocks and glass always a nice combination
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,127
    none of you know what you are talking about. although a little pricey, bulletproof glass sounds the best. :D
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,816
    Wind chimes hanging right up against your subwoofer = bliss
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 277
    Wind chimes would turn to glitter in front of my sub
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,539
    @marvda1,

I've used Boos Block cutting boards on a couple of speaker stands.

https://www.johnboos.com/product_group.asp?s=c&grp=JBC0051

Have a look.
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • verbverb Posts: 2,740

Agree with Skip. They are massive, heavy, and stiff. Good for minimizing deflection for heavy components, but additional isolation (spikes) would be required. And they are quite nice looking. Many wood species/combinations available.

Easy to modify to the right size if you have a table saw. More cost effective if you buy larger boards.
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,200
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Save your money. I've got some RTi10s I'll send you.

• machonemachone Posts: 971
    All kidding aside and certainly not wood is acrylic sheet. Acoustically it is dead as a door nail.
    I use 1 inch thick set on Sorbothane hemispheres for certain components.
    It cuts great on a table saw and with the edges sanded it looks attractive.
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Marantz SA 8005>> Equinox 7>>
    ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,844
    edited July 25
    hochpt21 wrote: »

In this setup, with the Ginkgo cloud... the butcher block is mostly to look cool. ;) B)

The Gingko Cloud is the best TT isolation I have ever used.

You've really stepped up on the TT path. Very nice! Isn't it amazing, the difference you hear with a significant TT upgrade?

Slate plinths are great for turntables.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

SCompRacer wrote: »
    hochpt21 wrote: »

The Gingko Cloud is the best TT isolation I have ever used.

You've really stepped up on the TT path. Very nice! Isn't it amazing, the difference you hear with a significant TT upgrade?

Slate plinths are great for turntables.

Thanks Rich! I’ve slowly been upgrading pieces but haven’t found the time to post on here about them! Having 3 kids will do that to a guy.

I still have the Pro-Ject you helped me get from Rob. Believe it or not, but I’ve enjoyed it for 5 years already!

Still have some configuring to do and then I’ll start reviewing gear.

You are correct. I didn’t actually expect much, but the Scout surprised me with how much better it sounds. It’s amazing.
    Man Cave
    Different cart so that definitely plays into it. Grado gold to Ortofon 2m Blue. But I also had a Sumiko Blue Point 2 on the Pro-ject at one point, and the whole setup I have now is superior as far as my listening tastes are concerned.
    Man Cave

You are correct. I didn’t actually expect much, but the Scout surprised me with how much better it sounds. It’s amazing.

Our daughter and niece (whom we were legal guardians for), are all grown up and on their own. Just the wife, me a cat and dog.

Rob lusted for my Nottingham Space 294. When it was time to sell, I took it there and put his cartridge on it. It sounded much better in his system. Then we upped the cartridge. No way I was leaving with it....

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *