Laid off

ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,248
Just found out today that myself, three of my coworkers, and my manager are getting laid off. I've worked there for 6 years, my manager for 11.

Reason? They're outsourcing our positions to workers in another country.

What a feeling. :neutral:
Got Dayens?

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,248
    Globally they're laying off about 20% of the staff.
    Got Dayens?
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,634
    Hope you find something better.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,673
    Sorry Drew. You'll get back on your feet. You're young so you got that going for you.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,529
    I remember my last two tech jobs at IBM and Hewlett Packard ending the same way. After the first time I gave it another chance with IBM. After the second time, and seeing the rate at which these types of jobs were leaving the states, I moved on.

Good luck!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,248
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic. It's just a crappy feeling, as I really got along well with my manager.
    Got Dayens?
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,064
    Been there myself. Laid off in 2010 after 16 years with the same outfit. Went from thinking "I'll retire from here" to "well, now what?". "Outsourcing" is what got me too. Keep your head up, you'll get through it!
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,870
    Maybe now you will have some free time to learn how to use the quote feature. :p

Just messing with you.... that really sucks man,. Best is yet to come for you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,757
    Sorry, Drew. I have been there twice myself. Hope you can find something soon.
    Modest HT - Pio Elite SC-63, RT800i, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500.
    Even more modest Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS300 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Premiere+
  • DabutcherDabutcher Posts: 1,627
    Stay strong and positive. My wife has been at a job for three years that is a progression from working for company that bought out her old company of 18 years. New job is very challenging and they keep over working her and demanding more on her plate every day. A week ago she put her resume out to some interesting companies and right away she got responses with interviews. Last night she wrote up her new demands for her to stay with existing company and if they do not match them she is walking. Lots of opportunities out there right now. Job market is ripe for your picking. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Mitsubishi rear projection 73, PS4, PSW505 , Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4, RTi12, FXiA6, CSiA6, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05

“Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,321
    Sorry to hear that! Yes, sign up for unemployment and persevere! Lots of companies begging for reliable, educated workers right now.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,833
    Sorry to hear that.

Went through a similar thing 20+ years ago when the owner of the company I worked for who I planned on retiring from some day, decided to retire and put the place up for sale, Tyco healthcare bought it.

18 months later, the facility here was closed and the new one in Mexico was opened.

Thoughts and prayers for you folks that things will get better.

Hopefully lots of opportunities out there in your area.
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 840
    Been there, done that. Always got a better job.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,412
    I’m sorry to hear this. Good luck in finding a new job!
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,833
    I know the feeling all too well but not due to outsourcing. Lost my position in the banking sector after 20+ yrs and felt the same way....what now.

Check out what options you may have regarding possible additional training(paid for) if you feel that's something that would benefit you. In PA you may possibly obtain a free ticket for training if a job is lost due to foreign outsourcing.

Hang in there man! Looking back and where I'm at these days it was the best thing that could have happened to me...hope it will be for you too!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, "upgraded" Polk SDA 2B.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,703
    Can you change light bulbs?.....

That stinks something fierce though. Chin up and move forward!
  • MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 2,308
    Drew I am really sorry to read that, definitely stinks. With the current job market, good people are very hard to find, at least in my industry. I hope you are able to find something relatively quickly that suits your needs and wants.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel ,Dodd 50W Dual Mono EL34 Amp, MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp, Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded), A/L 1000VA Dreadnought, Canare 4s11 SDA cable, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Vincent Pho-700 Phono Pre, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / Pangea & Signal Cable MP power
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000
    LA Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp, Polk LSIM705, Marantz DV8300 SACD, Audioengine B1, MIT AVt3 Speaker & RCA Cables, PS Audio Power Punch power cables

Dodd Mid Level Preamp ("on the bench" w/Charlie)
    Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    McCormack DNA-1 Power Drive Amp
    Eastern Electric Minimax CDP
    Infinity RS5b Speakers

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,436
    Sorry to hear bud, may I ask what you did or have experience in? Do you happen to be in Texas or Arizona? My company is hiring like crazy, we have a great work environment and growing year after year. We are in the Online Education field so lots of different positions open.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,619
    I hope the next door that opens has a bigger and brighter future for you on the other side. ;)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • MilitoMilito Posts: 70
    I'm sorry to hear this, but at least you will be looking in a good job market. I've been reading how good people are hard to find right now. You'll probably find a better job than you had.

Good luck!
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,411
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much what I was going to say. I'm sorry to hear this Drew, but, looks like the job market is prime for finding a new, and better, job. Keep your spirits up, take UE benefits and find the right place for the rest of your working career.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,055
    eBay? Sorry. While these things happen, they still suck, at least at first. Don't let it get you down. Every time I got laid off (3), I ended up better off. LOL. Good luck. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 923
    Sorry to hear. I know the feeling of being laid off twice in my life. Keep your head up.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,412
    Man sorry to hear that.

I was laid off in 06 when Sony closed the CRT plant in San Diego. We all knew it was coming, it was just a question of when.

Keep your head up and start looking.
    Sorry to hear bud, may I ask what you did or have experience in? Do you happen to be in Texas or Arizona? My company is hiring like crazy, we have a great work environment and growing year after year. We are in the Online Education field so lots of different positions open.

Need a warehouse manager? Would like to get the "F" out of CA.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk 80 F/X RT
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,948
    Ouch! hang tough Brother! I got it in 82 with 3000 others took me 7 years to get back,, now I the senior employee and at the top of the seniority list...hope it all works out for you in these Scary times!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,942
    Getting laid off sucks man. Sorry to hear about this. But when in your life have you not made it? Think about that before you get to down man. You will find something again, something better maybe even something great. Turn this sad time into a Positive and really dig your heels in. Maybe take a day or 3 to un wind and relax. become cool calm and get collected. Then unleash my friend.
    I got laid off back in 2008. Tweeter went out of business so we all lost our jobs. I was making great money, I loved my job and everyone I worked with.
    The day it happened I came home and sat down and looked at the wall. I applied to everywhere I knew and crossed my fingers.
    The Next few days got ruff. People who wanted to hire me didn't have room or the money to pay me what I was worth. I was going down to my basement to do a load of laundry and my knees got weak. I sat down on the steps and basically had a small break down. I was worried about my family, my house cars and our overall well being.
    It really sucked dude I know how you maybe feeling inside.
    But the phone rang, Audiolab called me and basically told me to grab my tools and get over there.
    I only missed a few weeks of work, no big deal. I wish I had the strength then as I do now. If I lost my day job again I wouldn't worry at all. I always have made it in my life, and I always will. So will you man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,055
    Forgot to mention, apply immediately for unemployment. It takes a few weeks to start, so don't delay.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.