LSiM 707 and 705 on sale @ Adorama in cherry

Comments

• halohalo Posts: 4,186
    ab0tj wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen! lol :)
    Ok fine :D
    0bwe89c0bc10.jpg

My next audio investment is a nice TV stand so I can organize all this stuff better...

Looks good to me! Nice setup :smile:
  • ab0tjab0tj Posts: 38
    halo wrote: »
    Looks good to me! Nice setup :smile:
    Thanks! Sounds good too... I had a friend over and he said "yeah, but how do they sound with the subs off?" and, well, they already were. I'm excited to see how they sound after they get some break-in time on them.
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 266
    Pull them off that back wall some. At least 12”. They would have a noticeable increase in sound quality.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
    Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
    Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Pull them off that back wall some. At least 12”. They would have a noticeable increase in sound quality.
    Hmm.... I just got out the tape measure and turns out they were right at 12" off the wall. I pulled them out a couple more inches and that actually does seem to have made a difference. I will be messing around with placement for a while now... :D
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,780
    Even if you can't leave them pulled out because of lifestyle, WAF, kids etc, you'll find out quickly while listening to music, that objects between the speakers kill the sound stage image.

Pull out and play with a little toe in
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 324
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ...objects between the speakers kill the sound stage image.

^^^ X 100!
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Even if you can't leave them pulled out because of lifestyle, WAF, kids etc, you'll find out quickly while listening to music, that objects between the speakers kill the sound stage image.

I usually try the “inch at a time” trick over a period of time until they are in the middle of the living room.

This actually worked for me! My mom didn’t want my speakers in the middle of my room, so I moved them about an inch a two a time. I got them to where I wanted them to be with no issues.
    Of course, she told me later that she noticed but decided she didn’t care since it was in my room and she didn’t have to look at it. Still got away with it, so it counts! :wink:
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    My GF has her own place, so I can do what I want without worrying about WAF :D
  • mark090852mark090852 Posts: 723
    Got my 705's set up and working on the break-in before I make any judgements on the sound. If anyone in Western CO wants a listen, let me know.

@ab0tj

Just curious. Where in Western Colorado? We have a house in Grand Junction.
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers.
    Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player.
    mark090852 wrote: »
    Grand Junction, on the east side of town
    Grand Junction, on the east side of town

We're in Orchard Mesa. Spyglass Ridge.
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers.
    I actually used to love up there! Well, on the way up that hill anyway.
    I actually used to love up there! Well, on the way up that hill anyway.

Small world.
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,254
    The long-awaited 705/707 shootout has finished and the 705s didn't last one round.

h9iv5c1hdaui.jpg
    Figure 1. My 705s were shipped in their manufacturer's cartons. My 707s were shipped in nice double walled outer boxes.

affs26amrqix.jpg
    Figure 2. The manufacturer's boxes held up well through UPS's shipping channels.

t5u3gkmool9g.jpg
    Figure 3. Side by side.

2iw49akrl855.jpg
    Figure 4. Then: Home theater with LSiM 705 front speakers.

b5fze0hn89ub.jpg
    Figure 5. Now: Home theater with LSiM 707 front speakers.

There was some brightness and hissy sibilance on some songs, but that went away after six hours of continuous play.

Detriments: None so far.

Benefits:

1. Wider and deeper sound stage.
    2. More image weight at sides of the sound stage.
    3. More clarity, detail, and bass weight and definition.
    4. More cohesive integration with the center channel speaker, which uses the same tweeter, midrange driver, and midwoofer drivers.
    5. A more immersive experience with multichannel music.
    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,784
    edited August 1
    Sade??
    Pull those guys off that back wall and watch them open way up.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,254
    edited August 1
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Sade??

Good eye! Yes, that's Sade's "Bring Me Home Live 2011" Blu-ray.

I don't doubt that but...

These 707s are primarily used for home theater and multichannel music, so I need the fronts to be in the same plane as the center channel. The rear of each speaker is 7.5" from the rear wall.
    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
    In my op, you could run Audyssey with them pulled forward to get the accurate measurements and then preload those to align the sound rather than the speaker. Just my 2c
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,127

I am going to disagree with this. In the 2 rooms i tried the 705's i had on, over a foot from the back seamed to make them sound not as strong
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• halohalo Posts: 4,186
    erniejade wrote: »
    I am going to disagree with this. In the 2 rooms i tried the 705's i had on, over a foot from the back seamed to make them sound not as strong

The backs of the speaker cabinets on mine are over a foot away from the wall and they sound very good. On recordings with a lot of bass, they sound great; the bass is not boomy or flabby or bloated.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,127
    The down firing port helps with that so you can put them a foot away without making them too boomy.
    Not every room is created equal thats for darn sure.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

Agreed. I just know for my room, they didn’t open up the soundstage and have a balanced range until they came off the back wall. I’m only sitting 9’ away from the and my couch is not against a back wall. In fact it’s more middle of the room.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,668
    erniejade wrote: »
    The down firing port helps with that so you can put them a foot away without making them too boomy.
    Not every room is created equal thats for darn sure.

And your room should never have been created. Period.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,809
    DSkip wrote: »

And your room should never have been created. Period.

Damn!

pvhy7y4u07bq.png
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,784
    7iol6pj5lnjc.jpeg