Steve McCormack is really out

leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,859
edited July 11 in Electronics
Most of you hi-end amplifier owners already know that the Mcormack amplifiers do not exist any more as new machines. I was curious and the small window says they were bought out by the very high end Conrad-Johnson. Ok way out of my league but people loved Steve's amps and when he rehabbed them and signed is work. There was a number to call and I did and Steve is totally out of the picture. Conrad-Johnson offers only a cursory a cleaning service and no up grades this for $130 + plus shipping both ways. Who buys Conrad -JOHNSON these days ?
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
Post edited by KennethSwauger on

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,807
    edited July 11
    It's McCormack.

Is this where you called? http://smcaudio.com/

A lot of folks still buy C-J gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 331
    I contacted Steve about a month ago to inquire about possible work and he was still offering upgrades then.
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,859
    Thanks for the correction even though everyone on this here forum knew who I was talking about. Yes it's nice to correct !!! I don't know of anyone buying high expensive Conrad -Gear. Maybe eruropeans flushed w/ cash. ??
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,212
    Thanks for the correction even though everyone on this here forum knew who I was talking about. Yes it's nice to correct !!! I don't know of anyone buying high expensive Conrad -Gear. Maybe eruropeans flushed w/ cash. ??

Dude, what on earth are you talking about ? CJ gear is not any more expensive than many other brands. Their used gear is a bargain too and McCormack amps can be had for as little as 6-700 bucks. Hardly Euro inspired richness.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,835
    We were confused about who you actually called. And, we just want to try to avoid spreading the word that Steve McCormack is out of the game or is some how done offering mods. His ModSquad service at smcaudio.com is still fully operational and he still listens to each amp that comes through before it goes back out to the customer.

Got Dayens?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,577
    Lew, I've had a few parties interested in the $50,000 MastersounD PF100 monoblocks. I've also had more than one party inquire about the $100,000 Rosso Fiorentino Florentia.

The customer base is here. Some of these guys can create quite the humbling experience even for me, the distributor.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,999
    Drove by a nice but not terribly remarkable house this afternoon with a Lamborghini in the driveway. Plenty of "haves" out there, at least in New England. Plenty.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,807
    edited July 11

Lew, the point is you called Conrad-Johnson instead of Steve McCormack. Of course, they are going to tell you he's not with them because he isn't, he has his own business.

The fact that someone answered the phone at C-J should have told you people are buying their gear. If they weren't, no one would have answered the phone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,859
    So Skip, as impressed w/ the high end customers how many did you sell or did they just oogle like common folk. I did hear that Conrad Johnson has a big following in Japan. Seems to go w/ the JBL L-100s and 4311s going for mucho coin along w/ McINTOSH. I presented this over on AK. There is a Geico commercial w/ strategically placed 4311s placed so the tweeters and mids can't be seen. I think these are them. In a very neat hip apt excluding the cat litter. (i watch way to much tv)

wxlexeiwqfnz.png

• tonybtonyb Posts: 29,212
    DSkip wrote: »
    Lew, I've had a few parties interested in the $50,000 MastersounD PF100 monoblocks. I've also had more than one party inquire about the $100,000 Rosso Fiorentino Florentia.

The customer base is here. Some of these guys can create quite the humbling experience even for me, the distributor.

I think Lew's idea of expensive is anything over 500 bucks. :)

Many here in the states use CJ gear. Just because you don't see them at BestBuy doesn't mean only the rich can afford them. Many other brands you probably never heard of also sell well here.

Many of the older models to these more expensive brands are certainly within reach of the common folk. Skip brought up he has customers looking at 50k gear, there is a heck of a lot of real estate below that, even just below 5k.

Audio has products for every wallet, just like most any other consumer products. Even Polk, that's why they have different series of speakers, aimed at different segments of their customer base. Same with cars, appliances, clothes, etc.

Sounds more like your pissed off you can't afford CJ gear Lew. Heck, I'm pissed off I can't afford nicer gear too, but I don't berate any brand for being expensive. I'm not pissed at Mercedes because I can't afford one. Oh wait, I can afford one, if it was 3 years old. :) Same goes for audio products, you may not be able to afford new retail prices, but some models at a few years old suddenly become within reach.

I've often said, as an example,that some of these higher end brands processors make great SS 2 channel pre amps. you can pick them up for under 500 bucks, sometimes under 300. Most sold new for 2-3k. You just have to know what to look for....and where.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,684
    Thanks for the correction even though everyone on this here forum knew who I was talking about??

I have no clue who or what you are talking about. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,577
    None are in the US yet. That isn't to say it won't happen and wasn't the entire point. The point was there are people who play at those levels who are more than just tire-kickers. Selling products at that price that don't have huge brand recognition in the US is a tough act. I have however sold several products getting up to and into the five figure range.

I do suspect one of the parties interested in the PF100 will eventually jump on them once he gets back into the tube world. Right now he is having fun with equivalently priced solid state gear.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • zuulzuul Posts: 198
    edited July 12
    conrad johnson has a big following up here in the pacific northwest... i see that stuff a lot on the used market... it usually doesn't stick around very long... someone is buying it...

my audio guru has some d'agostino mono blocks right now listed for $35k. that's the used price btw. new the same one's are $55k. i have no doubt someone will buy them... at this point i stopped being amazed at how much ppl will spend on gear...
    tonyb wrote: »
    Same goes for audio products, you may not be able to afford new retail prices, but some models at a few years old suddenly become within reach.

this is my story in a nutshell. i wouldn't have been able to get the gear i have when it was new... nor could i afford their modern day equivalent today. a few of the pieces i have still get premium prices on the used market but i got some lucky breaks when putting together the current set-up i have now... at this point even if i had the $$$ there are some used pieces i would rather have over anything i could go get new in the box... i feel the same way about cars... if i hit the lottery i wouldn't buy any car made after 1992. but you'd be jealous of my collection. it's all about personal preference in the end no?
    speakers:
    bowers & wilkins 685 S2
    polk psw-10
    components:
    sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
    sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
    mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
    teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
    oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
    interconnects:
    monoprice
    guzi
    belkin gold series usb
    speaker wire
    audioquest type 4
    power:
    rhino-tek 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
    vansevers 211 power cord
    pangea ac-14 power cord
    tubes:
    amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
    pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
    misc:
    JRiver Media Center 24
    sanus 24" speaker stands
    auralex acoustics subdude II
    DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
    rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.
    Hall of Fame: [retired/sold]
    polk monitor series 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
    polk monitor series RTA 8T
    kenwood kd-550 w/ SME 3009 Series III tonearm grado gold cartridge
    adcom gfp-555II
    marantz 2238b
    luxman M-120A
    technics sl-b10