of possible interest: Sonos "versus" Amazon Echo

mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,969
An engineer's perspective, via teardown, of the philosophy of two companies from the perspective of their smart speakers. Kind of interesting, I'd say.

YMMV, of course.

https://blog.bolt.io/what-cracking-open-a-sonos-one-tells-us-about-the-sonos-ipo-dcab49155643?gi=dd1b1602b0a9

PS I saw this on a local listserv, posted by an audiophile-engineer guru type who lives on the MA "south shore" (barely) -- just south of Boston.

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)

Comments

• mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,405
    Hmm, wonder what these fellers would think about Alexa in a soundbar??
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,796
    To hell with both.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,809
    Yeah, I can't believe the Apple HomePod speaker was just on the cover of this month's Stereophile FFS. Really?!?
    F1nut wrote: »
    To hell with both.

Got Dayens?
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,969
    Well...

My speakers are resolutely stupid -- but I do suspect the assembly quality and sophistication of the drivers (at least) rather trumps ;) either of (any of) the aforementioned smartspeakers.

26003722301_5a135297d1_b.jpg604Etest2 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)