Buy Subwoofers instead of Soundproofing [???]

zuulzuul Posts: 189
this article just made my head explode...

"4 subs set up the same way in an X pattern means you turn the volume down again 3 dB because we doubled the number of subs in the room and then down another 3 dB because of Phase Add effect again of the second pair. Now you are delivering 1/4th the amount of electrical power (-6 dB) into the room and maintaining the same sound level you originally had."

4 subwoofers? what?

https://www.acousticsciences.com/art-noxon/buy-subwoofers-instead-soundproofing

thoughts?
speakers:
bowers & wilkins 685 S2
polk psw-10
components:
sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
interconnects:
monoprice
guzi
belkin gold series usb
speaker wire
audioquest type 4
power:
rhino-tek 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
vansevers 211 power cord
pangea ac-14 power cord
tubes:
amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
misc:
JRiver Media Center 24
sanus 24" speaker stands
auralex acoustics subdude II
DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.
Hall of Fame: [retired/sold]
polk monitor series 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
polk monitor series RTA 8T
kenwood kd-550 w/ SME 3009 Series III tonearm grado gold cartridge
adcom gfp-555II
marantz 2238b
luxman M-120A
technics sl-b10

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,771
    Stupid
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,441
    What about accounting for nodes outside the room that occur from acoustic coupling of the walls/framing??? I'm with Jesse...
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 259
    F1nut wrote: »
    Stupid

Have you tried it?

If my receiver actually suppoerted 4 I’d go for it. I’ve only got 2 and in the Audyssey calibration as a pair they where tuned down a db or so than when I had only one but the low frequency effects sounded similar. I could see 4 doing even less work than 2.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,886
    I usually do 2 subs in any theater setup. 4 is fine if setup correctly. Phase is absolutely critical to get right when using that many subs.
    If you want to learn more about sub placement , phase etc visit JL audio's website , they have a ton of good stuff to check out.
    https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011115308-Adjusting-Phase-Alignment
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,771
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Stupid

Have you tried it?

If my receiver actually suppoerted 4 I’d go for it. I’ve only got 2 and in the Audyssey calibration as a pair they where tuned down a db or so than when I had only one but the low frequency effects sounded similar. I could see 4 doing even less work than 2.

Did I say I did? It's still stupid.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• mantismantis Posts: 14,886
    edited July 8
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Stupid

Have you tried it?

I have. You can setup 4 subs even if your preamp or receiver only has 1 sub out let alone 2.
    If you never setup a subwoofer in a room and rely on Audyssey then tackling 4 subs can be extremely challenging but doable if your willing to spend the time learning about phase.
    Phase is what makes it work or cancels out your efforts. You pre calibrate each sub into the room before Audyssey. You take measurements and adjust each subs placement to work in the given seating area by itself then all together by adding a sub one at at time.
    I have worked with JL's engineers which is my latest training on sub setups which furthers my knowledge from past experiences.
    I'm gonna tell you why in short why more subs are better but it depends on seating and room size. One sub can work very well in a room if where you sit is where your peaks are. So placement of using 1 sub is critical for best performance. Adding another sub in the room is for allowing more seats to sit in the peak areas. One sub can't cover a full room of listening positions as if you get your learn on on how 80hz and below reacts in a given room, you will understand why adding more subs can cover more area. Adding more subs is not for more bass to one seat but will add more pressure into a space due to the sheer amount of waves in the room. This is why phase is so important because if you don't have phase set correctly you will cancel out the frequencies your trying to replay.

So only in very large rooms with many different seating positions do you need more then 2 subs. Small to medium rooms with proper placement 1 sub can and will get the job done. 2 Subs will smooth out response in a room when moving to different seating positions. So if you have a favorite chair or position on a couch you like to sit in then 1 sub is fine. If you have a few different positions you like to sit in then 2 subs will cover much better.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 259
    @mantis yes agree evenly pressurizing a room is the goal. Would be nice to have JL subs but for now I’m fine with dual DSW microPRO 3000. Each is independently calibrated with PRO from the listening position before its integrated with Audyssey’s dual sub out. I get decent pressure with the two but I was thinking of adding LFE + Main as the LR speakers are LSi25 with their own subs.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack