MagniFi MAX

WLDock
WLDock Posts: 3,073
edited July 2018 in Speakers
So my brother-in-law got a new 65" TV and moved his old 55" TV, Polk speaker set to the basement. He wanted to clean up the corner where his new TV is so he asked me about a sound bar. I found a used ($999 list) LG SJ9 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos sound bar on craigslist for $350 asking price. However, the guy did not want to setup a means to demo the unit. So, we said the heck with that option.

214895-L-LO.jpg

So we head to Best Buy and Demo the LG SJ9 unit, the Polk MagniFi MAX unit and the ($699.99)Bose SoundTouch 300 & ($699.99) Acoustimass 300 subwoofer. The LG unit was really nice and would have been a nice pickup used at $350 if it were up to snuff. Next we listened to the Polk MagniFi MAX unit and it seem like a good buy at the given sale price of $399. Then the sale guy says, "my favorite sound bar to demo was the Bose unit." I then say, "I find most of their stuff a bit over priced but would like to listen to it." After playing a movie and some music my Brother-in-law and I were just standing there stunned. I walk back about twenty feet from the unit and could not believe the amount of loud clear sound that was coming from the combo. While, I'm sure there are better sound bars from some of the more esoteric brands, the Bose was a really nice unit that sounded less like a sound bar that I could live with in my bedroom. However, I don't think either of us could or would spend $1400 bucks on it...however, my Bro was thinking hard about it and really wanted the Bose.

Anyway, he purchased the Polk unit as it seem to the the best in terms of sound and features for the money. So far he's been happy with it after a day. With so many issues posted on the forum is there anyone out there that is having a good experience with their MagniFi MAX unit?
2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited July 2018
    The Bose and Sonos both sound way bigger then their size and way better i expected. The magfi max i also thought sounded darn good for 1/2 the price of the other 2.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Follow up to this post. They ended up having issues with the unit and Best Buy chose to send the unit out for service. Its was over a month before then got it back and once connected the sub volume was uncontrollable and there was noise and distortion. So my bother-in-law took it back and demanded a new one and finally BB obliged. I hope this one will be problem free for them.

Polk has the right direction with this product but there have for sure been some odd issues with some of these units.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I recently received a Bose 500 Sound Bar for review and it's the first sound bar I've ever owned. It isn't exactly knocking our socks off over here. lol. It's just the sound bar though, they didn't send me a sub. Using the Ushers in 2.0 while listening to TV/movies just blows the Bose away. Of course, I do realize, I'm not comparing apples to apples. I'm not going to dish out $399 for a Bose sub either (maybe HSU or SVS!!). It looks really nice, very clean, you hardly even notice that it's there. In all fairness, the speakers in my 50" Panasonic plasma have always been very good on their own (not as good as a dedicated HT but really good for TV speakers).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10