CD shattering video

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,708
Captured on video at very high speeds.

https://youtu.be/zs7x1Hu29Wc
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    That was awesome!!! Thanks for posting this..
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Niiice. Now I want to see some experiments with some vintage 78 Red Labels. :o
    Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    Niiice. Now I want to see some experiments with some vintage 78 Red Labels. :o

I was thinking a standard LP.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    That is cool. And to think the only bad thing I ever did to a CD is put it in the microwave (at work).

Any idea how long it would take to listen to the whole CD at that RPM?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Maaaaaan, that was cool!
    And the sound of the motor winding up, it was like a jet engine! Have to wonder how much of that was from the deformation of the disc.

Dyson Cheese Slicer.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    It was all from the deformation caused by the RPM's.

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    That was awesome!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• F1nut
    Only vinyl will do that.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I hope that cd was the last surviving copy of “My Heart Will Go On”....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    I once hit a Tiffany CD (back in 1988?) with my tennis racket, by accident, showing what I would like to do to it. My friend was laughing hysterically, and he owned the CD (from BMG to return for another CD he actually wanted). He glued the CD back together and tried playing it in the CD player. It didn't work.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. Tiffany sucks.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I was kinda disappointed. I was hoping that it would've turned into microscopic dust.
    An SACD contains more bits, so maybe that'll do it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I wonder if the music on that CD was by The Spinners per chance?
  • F1nut
    edited July 2018
    BTW, there is a follow up video featuring vinyl.

https://youtu.be/n-DTjpde9-0

President of Club Polk

• msg
    headrott wrote: »
    I once hit a Tiffany CD (back in 1988?) with my tennis racket, by accident, showing what I would like to do to it.

Dahmmit man. Now I've got that song stuck in my head.

czfp98r0h1bw.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    My wife is calling me a nerd for watching this...very cool! B)
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    gce wrote: »
    My wife is calling me a nerd for watching this...very cool! B)

That's a compliment dude! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So I had to look back at my mechanics textbooks, but always good to stretch the noggin a bit. Thanks @F1nut !
    Assume no balance issues (cause early failure) while the disc is spinning, per the below eventually there will be an angular velocity to overcome the mechanical properties of the material.
    5e8u6t9lrsn5.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Fudd’s Law. If you spin something fast enough then it will disintegrate.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    edited July 2018
    This reminds me of how glad I am that I got that job at the city tipping floor instead of continuing on in engineering. God bless you guys.

Chemistry, yes.
    Physics, yes.
    Statics, ehhh... okay, sure.
    Dynamics? *&%# NO!
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Fudd’s Law. If you spin something fast enough then it will disintegrate.
    This includes Daffy's bill when you blast it.

I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2018
    Air compressor and precision bearings will explode driven fast enough.... dont ask how i know....
    Oh yea wear some safty glasses :D:D
  • headrott
    msg wrote: »
    I once hit a Tiffany CD (back in 1988?) with my tennis racket, by accident, showing what I would like to do to it.

czfp98r0h1bw.jpg

Which one? She had a couple "hits"........... :#
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Lol! Damn it Larry, now this thread went straight to hell. :D
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• msg
    msg wrote: »

czfp98r0h1bw.jpg

Which one? She had a couple "hits"........... :#
    This is a test, isn't it? Well forget it, I'm not falling for it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and get my jean jacket out of the dryer before my friend's mom shows up to drop us off at the mall.
    I disabled signatures.