Polk 5JR+'s in the house!

verbverb Posts: 3,688
edited June 30 in Vintage Speakers
So today I picked up a pair of these little cuties. They are absolutely mint! Veneer, Grilles, Drivers, all look brand new! I'm very happy about that.

Connected them to my Dayens Ampino and Auris BluMe bluetooth streamer. And as expected, they are bright! First step is to replace the tweeters. I believe the RDO-194's are the correct replacement.

PR test shows no leakage, again very happy.

Anyone out there (I'm sure there is) did the crossover mod on these little cuties?

Here's some pics in the office. Yeah, yeah, i know way too high of a placement! Eventually this rig will go into a spare bedroom upstairs. :smile:

z97j575x7wa8.jpg
43gs85vw2xiu.jpg
Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer

Comments

• msgmsg Posts: 4,270
    edited June 30
    I think those're 5-jay-arr-PLUSSES!

I have some in walnut (blech; would have preferred oak like yours) and they sound a bit thin to me. I read that the crossover upgrade fills them out a good bit, but not to expect too much bottom end out of them.
  • verbverb Posts: 3,688
    msg wrote: »
    I think those're 5-jay-arr-PLUSSES!

Thank you sir! Title of the thread edited in time! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,891
    Flip them upside-down and toe out a little. The brightness should dissipate. You know, just for giggles ;)
    Funny thing @msg, the "+" designation only shows up on my SL2500 tweeted JRs. The other 2 pair aren't labled as such.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Flip them upside-down and toe out a little. The brightness should dissipate. You know, just for giggles ;)

Very funny. :smile: Hey did you mod yours?

Just paged through 39 pages of 5JR+ threads. Yes I was lazy earlier. Caps, resistor, polyswitch, and the usual mechanical upgrades. Another project! Tweeters for now.
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,270
    Mine aren't labeled + either.
    Without the 5JR+ label on back, I suspected the PRs were just for show and there was really a port hidden behind them, but no.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,184
    Those rock for their size.... very surprising speaker in my opinion
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 5,929
    edited June 30
    Congrats
    Randy in Maine
    CRS+ TL'd 198 tweets-RTA15 TL'd 198 tweets
    --All TL upgrades by WMG--
    Cs1000p-Yamaha-Parasound
    MIT speaker cables-Pangea powercords
    msg wrote: »
    Mine aren't labeled + either.
    Without the 5JR+ label on back, I suspected the PRs were just for show and there was really a port hidden behind them, but no.

Ok I need to retract a bit of my previous statement: I have a pair of series 2 with the SL2500 and not labled "+" and a pair of the same that are labled "+".

Things get stranger by the minute...

And @verb, I was only half kidding about the flip and toe... Seriously, try it. Given their proximity to the ceiling, it can't be worse...
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,143
    Only the earliest 5jr versions were ported. Later 5jr and 5jr+ models BOTH had a 6-1/2" PR. The Series II 5 Jr+ came with a SL-2500 tweeter which can be replaced with the newer RD0-198 tweeter. Your model's correct tweeter replacement is the newer RD0-194. Great little speakers for a small room.
    The location is just for basic testing purposes. Saves me from lugging all the stuff downstairs to the basement. Eventually they’ll be in a proper setup upstairs in a spare bedroom.
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,154
    They can be easily upgraded to the rev 2 by changing the 12uf cap to 13.5uf, and installing RD0198s
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"