Audioquest Type 4 Trial

Hello,

I picked some AQ Type 4 from CL for cheap. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182514/audioquest-type-4-cl-score#latest

well I haven't had time at home to hook them up and see how good they are. After reading a bit on test I decided to take them to work. I have one hooked to the left speaker, right speaker is Monoprice 14awg. I can't turn it up past -20db but so far about 15 people have commented that the stereo sounds different. Only one said the right sounds better, "it's brighter".

From what I've noticed is these took the harsh out of the RTi4 I have in here. Bass is a little tighter with an overall smoother sound.

More to come on these
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
Samsung UN60H,
Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
Main: Polk Signature S60
Center: Polk CSi-A6
Front High TC80i
Rear: Polk MC80
Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
Sony KDF-E42A10,
Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
Main: Polk Signature S20
Center: Polk Signature S35
Rear: Polk R15
Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
Sony 2100ES
Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
Old sony 12" Sub
Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,378
    After 8 hours of use at work yes these are a far better cable. A couple that come through the warehouse stopped and asked if I had new speakers.

    Now time to put them in the home HT :)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,886
    They didn't take the harsh out, they are playing all the other frequencies you where missing. They are a well balanced cable, thats why they sound better then the other wire.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,533
    Good cable indeed. I have like 6 pairs of them Type 4.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

    Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,403
    mantis wrote: »
    They didn't take the harsh out, they are playing all the other frequencies you where missing. They are a well balanced cable, thats why they sound better then the other wire.

    Why you gotta be harshing his mellow? :p
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • Jetmaker737Jetmaker737 Posts: 813
    I've been running a set of AQ Type 4 for years and years in my rig. Very satisfied with them. Haven't felt a burning need to upgrade.
    System
    Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,378
    Happy Saturday,

    I swapped out my Furez for the Type 4 the other day. I've had some decent listening time on them. It's a pain in the --- to change any cable on my main HT but I got it done correctly.

    I find them to be a very nice cable a step up from the Furez I was using. Everything is just a tad more clear. It's not the night and day difference I experienced at work going from the Monoprice 14AWG but there is improvement.

    My $90 10AWG Furez build is a darn good Cable from Doug. These will replace the Monoprice in my bedroom HT. Are these Type 4 a retail worth the extra cost over the Furez? No. At the low cost I got these Type 4 at it's an OH YES 100% worth it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,789
    Sounds like you had a similar experience that I just did going from Monoprice 14ga to Audioquest Type 2! Very cool.

    Glad you're enjoying them and congrats on the great deal you got!
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hello,

    I picked some AQ Type 4 from CL for cheap. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182514/audioquest-type-4-cl-score#latest

    well I haven't had time at home to hook them up and see how good they are. After reading a bit on test I decided to take them to work. I have one hooked to the left speaker, right speaker is Monoprice 14awg. I can't turn it up past -20db but so far about 15 people have commented that the stereo sounds different. Only one said the right sounds better, "it's brighter".

    From what I've noticed is these took the harsh out of the RTi4 I have in here. Bass is a little tighter with an overall smoother sound.

    More to come on these

    Got Dayens?
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,378
    I had a good day on the stereo today.

    I'm completing a woodwork project so I get two hours between Poly coats. Wife and kids were gone too so up went that volume knob.

    I got to crank up and play in the -10db range

    Pink Floyd Wish you were here,, gee I wish I had the SACD of this one.
    Queensrych Empire
    Yes Big genator
    and Dire Straits greatest hits.

    What I can say is this cable adds a presences of clarity to my system never heard before. A step up on detail.

    Some like to say cables don't matter, I use to say that all I need is Monoprice... Not any more.

    Nice to have a day off and just turn it up.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,692
    Home equity loan = high end cables.

    Whatcha going to get?
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,378

    rpf65 wrote: »
    Home equity loan = high end cables.

    Whatcha going to get?

    Oh no, not my retirement nest egg.

    I picked up the type 4 from a great CL deal. All 3 for $50. I enjoying these cables a lot. I already slowly changed out all my HDMI to AQ so no more cables for now.

    I am enjoying my system right now a lot. When I do make changes or upgrades it's cash only no credit. Hence why I don't have a big boy amp.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,771
    mrloren wrote: »
    I had a good day on the stereo today.

    I'm completing a woodwork project so I get two hours between Poly coats. Wife and kids were gone too so up went that volume knob.

    I got to crank up and play in the -10db range

    Pink Floyd Wish you were here,, gee I wish I had the SACD of this one.
    Queensrych Empire
    Yes Big genator
    and Dire Straits greatest hits.

    What I can say is this cable adds a presences of clarity to my system never heard before. A step up on detail.

    Some like to say cables don't matter, I use to say that all I need is Monoprice... Not any more.

    Nice to have a day off and just turn it up.

    The original Mastersound gold CD of WYWH is better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


  • zuulzuul Posts: 189
    have been using type 4 since 08. you would have to pry them from my cold dead hands.

    congrats on your acquisition!
    speakers:
    bowers & wilkins 685 S2
    polk psw-10
    components:
    sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
    sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
    mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
    teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
    oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
    interconnects:
    monoprice
    guzi
    belkin gold series usb
    speaker wire
    audioquest type 4
    power:
    rhino-tek 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
    vansevers 211 power cord
    pangea ac-14 power cord
    tubes:
    amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
    pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
    misc:
    JRiver Media Center 24
    sanus 24" speaker stands
    auralex acoustics subdude II
    DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
    rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.
    Hall of Fame: [retired/sold]
    polk monitor series 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
    polk monitor series RTA 8T
    kenwood kd-550 w/ SME 3009 Series III tonearm grado gold cartridge
    adcom gfp-555II
    marantz 2238b
    luxman M-120A
    technics sl-b10
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,378
    F1nut wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    I had a good day on the stereo today.

    I'm completing a woodwork project so I get two hours between Poly coats. Wife and kids were gone too so up went that volume knob.

    I got to crank up and play in the -10db range

    Pink Floyd Wish you were here,, gee I wish I had the SACD of this one.
    Queensrych Empire
    Yes Big genator
    and Dire Straits greatest hits.

    What I can say is this cable adds a presences of clarity to my system never heard before. A step up on detail.

    Some like to say cables don't matter, I use to say that all I need is Monoprice... Not any more.

    Nice to have a day off and just turn it up.

    The original Mastersound gold CD of WYWH is better.

    Err and I didn't get those when I worked at Sony why?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,143
    Couldn't figure out a way to secure them without them falling down your pant legs?
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,378
    msg wrote: »
    Couldn't figure out a way to secure them without them falling down your pant legs?

    oh no, If I remember correctly, they were a lot of $$$ even at employee cost as with SACD's. My WYWH disc is the 1992 remaster release. Not a bad CD.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!