Is this kosher? A "Karma" feeler -- Vivitar Series I 70 - 210mm f/3.5 zoom lens in Canon FE mount

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited June 2018 in The Clubhouse
Can Karma even be kosher? ;)
The mind boggles.

So, here's the deal -- there is a nice old lens here that is utterly surplus to our son's or my needs or interests. I am sure I can find it a good home, but I thought the best way to do it might be to offer it up here in a karmic way.

That'll only work if there might be a few people who would potentially be interested in it, though!

Here's the deal: the lens is a 1970s era zoom made for Vivitar (Ponder & Best's pseudo-brand for camera accessories). The lens is a 70 to 210 mm f/3.5 macro zoom. This particular lens has a fixed Canon FE mount. This is the old (i.e. obsolete) mount used by Canon on 35 mm film SLRs and, unfortunately, won't work on modern Canon cameras of any kind AFAIK.

This said, if you happen to have an FE mount Canon (e.g., an F-1) and if you were interested in an elderly zoom for it -- this could be your chance!

Here's some info on the 70-210 mm lens(es) sold by Vivitar over the years:
https://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

This one appears to be the "Version 1" morph (I think).

Ken Rockwell seemed to sort of like it in Nikon mount (for better or worse ;) ).
https://kenrockwell.com/vivitar/70-210mm.htm

I will Karma it if even two people express interest -- otherwise I'll try somewhere more old camera-oriented. So -- let me know, eh? ;)

Here are some photos of das Ding an sich.

qm7dtid3nr28.jpg
xsahiwnap8xo.jpg
s5l4jfqbgvmw.jpg
u5kaocop5qan.jpg

Thanks for your consideration!

Moderator(s), if this thread is out of line, please feel free to delete.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2018
    Are you sure it is a *Canon* FE mount and not a Sony FE mount?

Canon did have an FD mount and the new Canon mount is EF (EOS)...

And there are a plethora of adapters available either way to use vintage glass with new bodies.

I would be interested if I didn't already have 10 other pieces of modern glass for my Canon.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    If it were PK (Pentax) mount, I would be all over this. Series 1 70-210 is a great piece of classic manual focus glass.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    ^^ I was thinking the same thing ^^ that's classic glass the Series 1, I had one for my old OM setup, and again for my Nikon F4 - very under rated.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Are you sure it is a *Canon* FE mount and not a Sony FE mount?

Canon did have an FD mount and the new Canon mount is EF (EOS)...

And there are a plethora of adapters available either way to use vintage glass with new bodies.

I would be interested if I didn't already have 10 other pieces of modern glass for my Canon.

Canon. FD. derp.
    Sorry.

You can tell I am not a Canon guy :/
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Mark,
    There are enough adapter options out there that I think this would be a worthwhile karma.

FWIW, the Canon FD to Pentax K mount adapter runs ~$40.
    Anyone who loves old, quality glass would invest that much in it, I believe.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    ^^ Listen to this man!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    There is, Derek
  • billbillw
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Mark,
    There are enough adapter options out there that I think this would be a worthwhile karma.

FWIW, the Canon FD to Pentax K mount adapter runs ~$40.
    Anyone who loves old, quality glass would invest that much in it, I believe.

There can be focus issues with those adapters though. You have to do your research before buying one.
  • mhardy6647
    Presumably any of the adaptors would alter the distance from the back element of the lens to the film, umm, I mean sensor plane.

• billbillw
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Presumably any of the adaptors would alter the distance from the back element of the lens to the film, umm, I mean sensor plane.

Yes, sometimes loose infinity focus or worse. Many have an optical element to correct the focus distance. The quality of that element can vary greatly.
  • mhardy6647

billbillw wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Yes, sometimes loose infinity focus or worse. Many have an optical element to correct the focus distance. The quality of that element can vary greatly.

[emphasis added]

I'll bet it can! ;)

• mhardy6647
    Since this lens didn't attract any karmic interest this past week*, if any folks who expressed interest in this lens would like it, it's yours for the price of sendin' me a PM. First one "wins" :)