Monoprice 50w Hybrid Amp

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,961
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Gonna RMA it for another one?
    If mine wasn't so noisy, I would totally keep it and call it a win.

Na, probably go vintage...

vintage hybrid amp? ;)

There were some, but generally speaking not in a good way :|

edited July 17
    I listened to a vinyl rekkid Childhood's Greatest Hits with our 2-1/2 year old granddaughter today on the 25 watt MP amp, and you know what? It sounded mighty darned fine. Loudspeakers used were Polk Audio Monitor 5 ("Series 2"? -- at any rate, a pair in black vinyl woodgrain finish, sporting the dreaded SL2500 tweeters).

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/willwright2 (couldn't find an easy link to the LP version, but I am sure they're out there... it's a dandy, well recorded children's record)

gs1i4gjb1y9o.png
  • zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,674
    I believe Counterpoint and AMC made some vintage hybrid amps. :)
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,748
    Looks like Monoprice has a "full" tube amp for $329...
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,864
    Looks like Monoprice has a "full" tube amp for $329...

Even scarier IMO. If I'm going to buy a tube amp, I want a reliable one with a good track record. Besides, at $329, you start approaching used Yaqin prices which would be a much better investment.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    Not a bad price! EL84 are not my favorite tubes, but it is a cool looking amp for a low power operation.
    zingo wrote: »
    I believe Counterpoint and AMC made some vintage hybrid amps. :)

Your assessment of vintage and mine are rather different. ;)

Here's a vintage hybrid amplifier (and not a great one, at that).
    http://www.roger-russell.com/amppre.htm#ma230

ip3pafupgj2q.png
    grtrehgz330r.png

images from http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/MA230.htm

Neo-vintage :blush:
    Neo-vintage :blush:

:)

... as opposed to retro-vintage.

Yeah, I gotcha.

1jnzhlan50u3.png
    edited July 18
    rb5n2dnbif8q.png

FWIW, the all-tube Monoprice (pp EL84) amp looks benign to me. These products are sold worldwide under a plethora of brand names. It would be good to get a look under the hood (althogh even that can be misleading since counterfeit components abound in the current electronics world) but it would be nice to see how neatly - or otherwise - things are laid out, wired up, or soldered together. These factors say a lot, from my perspective, about the fundamental quality (and potential dependability) of a component.

Quality of the output iron is also important, of course -- but the old Maggotbox Magnavox stereo console amps prove that it's hard to go wrong with a simple pp EL84 amplifier. To call the quality of components and the design of those early 1960s amps "modest" is -- well... diplomatic ;) -- but they do sound good.

In other words, the $329 (or whatever) "Monoprice" branded pp EL84 stereo amp may sound fine. That's enough money, though, that it might be worth shopping a little harder/spending a little more in the long run.

I'd also encourage folks to resist the temptation of buying a $329 amp and then putting 600 dollars worth of boutique or NOS tubes in it. False economy, I'd opine.

This is a pp 6V6 Maggotbox amp, but it amply illustrates the extreme simplicity of the design and the execution - despite having been rehabbed with modest quality capacitors. The comparable pp EL84 amp is very similar overall.

14505622034_e807a6b47e_b.jpgP1020247 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    So I should shouldn't spend $600 on exotic parts for my amp?
    So I should shouldn't spend $600 on exotic parts for my amp?

yeah, just don't spend it all on tubes ;)

I think some Teflon-coated silver wire would be an excellent investment for one of these.

;)
    I think spending $300/each on two coupling caps will be worth the parts budget.
    I think spending $300/each on two coupling caps will be worth the parts budget.

I like your thinking!
    :D
    Monoprice just emailed $247.99 sale and free shipping for the all tube amp, $105.99 for the 25w hybrid, and $143.99 for the 50w hybrid.
    edited July 20
    hmm...
    For two-hunnert-fiddy smackers...

somebody needs to try one -- or three, or four, or whatever it takes to get a working one ;)

I hope that somebody's not me. :#

EDIT: Current website price is $309... how does one (or can one[/i) ]unlock the $248 price?
  • mark090852mark090852 Posts: 767
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    hmm...
    For two-hunnert-fiddy smackers...

somebody needs to try one -- or three, or four, or whatever it takes to get a working one ;)

I hope that somebody's not me. :#

EDIT: Current website price is $309... how does one (or can one[/i) ]unlock the $248 price?

Use code WKND20 for the discount on the all tube and the 50 watt. Use WKND5 for the 25 watt amp.
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers.
    Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player.
    edited July 20
    I did some listening to Rebecca Pidgeon on both my DIY monitors and my new Monoprice K-BAS monitors and the sound seems to have settled in a little with a bit of a bass increase (stock tubes) over the initial listening experience.

With the 50w hybrid amp and the K-BAS monitors, the music is detailed, enjoyable, balanced bass response down to 40hz, and no sibilance. The overall sound stage is not as 3D as I have experienced, but this is a Monoprice branded 2-channel system for about $500 total with sale prices, which I think is amazing for the value.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,712
    I'd like to take a listen to those K-BAS speakers!
    Got Dayens?
    They are great (even better for the price) and compare favorably to the Atlantic Technology speakers with a similar hybrid TL cabinet design.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,712
    I think they would be perfect for the drum n bass and other electronic music that I listen to. I just have too many speakers and not enough room.

But mostly I just don't want to move my 30lb behemoth 703s :smile:

Glad you are getting some enjoyment out of your inexpensive monoprice experiments.
    Got Dayens?
    I will give the all tube a try...
  • michaeljhsda2michaeljhsda2 Posts: 1,855

I'll be curious to hear how you like it compared to the Yaqin MS-20Lthat I sent you about 4 years ago.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's w/ RD0198-1's, Sonicap, Mills
    AI-1 Dreadnought
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 1C's stock
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    SDA 2's (side by side tweeters) stock
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,101

For science! :wink:
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    In a few days, it will be...
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Polk SDA CRS/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner
    TCC-TC750 phono stage
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    edited July 21

I'll be curious to hear how you like it compared to the Yaqin MS-20Lthat I sent you about 4 years ago.

@michaeljhsda2 - You sending me the Yaqin was an awesome gesture on your part!!! You still got that bad boy?
  • michaeljhsda2michaeljhsda2 Posts: 1,855
    edited July 22

@michaeljhsda2 - You sending me the Yaqin was an awesome gesture on your part!!! You still got that bad boy?

Yes I still have it. Glad I was able to introduce you to the world of tubes!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's w/ RD0198-1's, Sonicap, Mills
    AI-1 Dreadnought
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 1C's stock
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    SDA 2's (side by side tweeters) stock
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    Got the "Pure Tube" from Monoprice today. Little booger is breaking in now...

qqj337b20t9h.jpg
    edited July 27
    Looks good to me! Especially for the price.

I've been listening to the 25 watt hybrid pretty much exclusively the last coupla weeks. If nothing else, it puts out less heat than the SE 2A3 amp does. :#
    Well it looks nice!

Any initial impressions?