LFE Level settings...

felipe
felipe Posts: 423
edited June 2018 in Electronics
Hey all. Got a question. I’m running without subs in my current setup ( running my S55s full-range and set my other speakers to “small” xover at 80 and 100hz ). So, I'm guessing that the mains are handing not only the bass from their own channels but from the bass of the other channels as well ( including the LFE channel ).
In my reciever settings, there is an LFE level setting ( 0db,-10db,-20db ). It is currently set to 0db by default. Since I’m not running subs, should I adjust this setting? I read online that the LFE channel is mixed at -10db lower than the other channels to begin with, and that AVRs nowadays default the setting to 0db to account for the headroom of the LFE channel. Any thoughts? Expert advice? TIA
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    No Run the fronts as large with NO SUB then there will be no LFE adjustment.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    Does this mean anything below the crossover point to speakers set small is just dropped?
    I disabled signatures.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    msg wrote: »
    Does this mean anything below the crossover point to speakers set small is just dropped?

Yes.
  • felipe
    Actually, here’s what happens..

“In configurations lacking a subwoofer, where at least one or more of the speakers must to be set to 'LARGE', the crossover setting of speakers set to 'SMALL' determines that frequencies below the setting be redistributed to those speakers set to 'LARGE' . This occurs even if the 'LARGE' speakers cannot handle the lower frequencies. In configurations lacking a subwoofer, you should try to use the speakers with the widest frequency range as the speakers set to 'LARGE'. Such an arrangement is more practical in configurations where the front pair are more capable than the accompanying satellite speakers. Such a configuration would be one where the front two speakers are floorstanders (full range or wider than normal) and the remaining speakers are bookshelf speakers (limited range).”

My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    Interesting.
    I thought it worked the way Felipe was saying as well, if there was no sub but fronts set to Large.

I was trying to clarify with Dan on his note about LFE.
    When we say LFE, are we talking about a special set of low frequency info, or is it all frequency info below the crossover?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    felipe wrote: »
    Hey all. Got a question. I’m running without subs in my current setup ( running my S55s full-range and set my other speakers to “small” xover at 80 and 100hz ). So, I'm guessing that the mains are handing not only the bass from their own channels but from the bass of the other channels as well ( including the LFE channel ).
    In my reciever settings, there is an LFE level setting ( 0db,-10db,-20db ). It is currently set to 0db by default. Since I’m not running subs, should I adjust this setting? I read online that the LFE channel is mixed at -10db lower than the other channels to begin with, and that AVRs nowadays default the setting to 0db to account for the headroom of the LFE channel. Any thoughts? Expert advice? TIA

If you have no sub set, and your fronts are set to Large, yes the fronts will get both the LFE and the lower frequencies of any speakers set to small.

I think it depends on the AVR, but a number have a "fine" adjustment of the LFE level setting for adjusting the overall balance with a sub (so you don't have to keep playing with the volume knob on the sub and for their automatic room correction software). I think most also allow adjustment without a sub so the user can adjust the amount LFE supplied to the Large speakers. The 0db, -10db, -20db is likely to rough adjust the blending of the LFE to the fronts for speakers that can produce decent bass, but keep the very low, and the high dynamic booms of the LFE channel from overloading them.
  • felipe
    Interesting.
    I thought it worked the way Felipe was saying as well, if there was no sub but fronts set to Large.

I was trying to clarify with Dan on his note about LFE.
    When we say LFE, are we talking about a special set of low frequency info, or is it all frequency info below the crossover?
    From what I have learned, LFE is an independent band-width limited ( 3-120hz) effects channel...it has nothing to do with all the frequency info below the crossover...that is just bass managment within your setup. Look up “LFE vs Bass managment” online...good info there.
    pkquat wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »

If you have no sub set, and your fronts are set to Large, yes the fronts will get both the LFE and the lower frequencies of any speakers set to small.

I think it depends on the AVR, but a number have a "fine" adjustment of the LFE level setting for adjusting the overall balance with a sub (so you don't have to keep playing with the volume knob on the sub and for their automatic room correction software). I think most also allow adjustment without a sub so the user can adjust the amount LFE supplied to the Large speakers. The 0db, -10db, -20db is likely to rough adjust the blending of the LFE to the fronts for speakers that can produce decent bass, but keep the very low, and the high dynamic booms of the LFE channel from overloading them.
    I was thinking the same thing...