Sony UDP-X700

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
OK,
So I'm all wrapped up in this 4k HDR Dolby Vision thing and the only way to grab a Blu ray player with Dolby Vision is my chance get a Oppo 203 which I'm waiting on a list, get the LG 970 which No thank you and then the new X700 From Sony. It's cheap, real cheap and feels real cheap.
The Power cord alone had me wanting to box it back up and return it. But since this is just a bypass piece I'll try it out and see what Dolby Vision can look like on this VERY entry level player.
So far I updated the firmware and it crashed. It would not control from my Control system until I used the Code set from the x800 player and the video looks well not as sharp or high end quality I would expect from a Dolby Vision player. I know it's a low end player but man I don't think this thing is really worthy of even trying out. I'll use it until Oppo calls, Sony releases a ES model Dolby Vision player or Pioneer Elite releases it's Dolby Vision player which I heard maybe coming.
So far I don't recommend this player to anyone unless your not really caring about top quality and just want a player that player 4k stuff.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    So in order to watch HDR, you first have to go into the settings, go to Dolby Vision and turn it off, it is not automatic like it should be. Then if you want to watch Dolby Vision stuff, you then have to go back into settings and turn it back on. You can however leave HDR on and that seems to work just fine.

has anyone else decided to grab one of these players? What are you guys using as your player? I know a few have the Oppo 203 and that is what I want but it is what it is.
    Dan
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    Just so you know, hopefully in July Panasonic will release the UB820 which will do DV, HDR10, & the next generation HDR10+. Also perhaps later this year they will also be releasing the next step up, the UB900.
  • mantis
    I got my eye on that as well.
    Dan
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    I have the sony X700. I got it for the main family room TV which is a Vizio P65-E1 series. Is it the same build quality as an OPPO or the X800? Not at all. However, I haven't found it lacking in the video quality departmen as mentioned. I was initially looking to get the X800, but when I read that Sony wasn't going to upgrade that player with Dolby Vision support via a firmware fix, I decided to pass. I just got the OPPO a couple weeks ago, but haven't hooked that up yet. I probably wouldn't have got the OPPO so soon, but because they were quitting the disc player business, I ended up getting one.

I just upgraded the X700 to the latest firmware that supports Dolby Vision over this past weekend. Here are my thoughts.
    • Dolby Vision looks fantastic on the X700. Colors/contrast are better with Dolby Vision vs. HDR10 depending on the scene and the movie as Dolby Vision can vary by scene and HDR10 is a constant for the entire movie. It's not always the case, but I can tell in some movies. I compared movies on VUDU (UHD and Dolby Vision such as Wonder Woman) as well as on UHD disc (Despicable Me 1 & 2).
    • Setting up Dolby Vision for the X700 is pain point. This isn't the fault of the player, but of how Sony implemented it. You have to manually go in and turn it on in the settings. And when you go back to non-Dolby Vision material you need to turn it back off in the settings. Dumb. I know the OPPO turns Dolby Vision on or off automatically depending on the source material. Hopefully Sony fixes this in another firmware update. I'm sure if the X800 supported Dolby Vision, that Sony would have made the same blunder in implementing it.
    • It's nice the Dolby Vision is supported with disc, VUDU and Netflix on this player (with the issue on how it has to be turned on).
    • Clarity with the X700 is great to me on UHD discs and on VUDU with UHD titles.
    • Up-conversion of bluray discs seems to be pretty darn good to me as well with this player. That is one of the reasons I got this player is because of Sony's up-conversion algorithms.
    • The build quality is lacking. It does feel like a $40-$50 bluray player but with UHD disc capability. No getting around that.
    • I hate that you can't eject a disc unless you are on the disc "app" in the Sony menu. That is just dumb. I should be able to eject a disc no matter what application I am using on the machine.
    • The firmware update via internet failed. I had to update the machine via USB for it to take.

I am still content with the purchase, but hope Sony fixes the Dolby Vision implementation with another firmware fix.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    mantis wrote: »
    I'll use it until Oppo calls, Sony releases a ES model Dolby Vision player or Pioneer Elite releases it's Dolby Vision player which I heard maybe coming.

Have you thought about the Cambridge - CXUHD 4K UHD Universal Blu-ray Player? It's based on the same platform as the OPPO 203 but doesn't have the 7.1 analog outputs. It's basically the same machine (same menu system and everything) but at $699 it's a $150 more than the OPPO 203 was. I'm reading that is still in production and will be for another year - but after that who knows.

Just another alternative for you to look at.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • mantis
    There are not available right now. They come from the same plant the Oppo's come from from what I was told.
    Dan
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    mantis wrote: »
    There are not available right now. They come from the same plant the Oppo's come from from what I was told.

I just searched and Crutchfield, Music Direct and Amazon have them available? $699
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • mantis
    Really Last time I looked they where out of stock. Thanks man
    Dan
  • mantis
    Ok,
    So I know I basically kicked the crap out of this player when I got it and feel it's built like a cheap piece of crap. It offends me looking at it in my cabinet as it's the cheapest Player I have ever had. BUT I wanted to discover Dolby Vision and my plan was a Oppo or a new Sony ES when the Dolby Vision players come out This Cedia. Pioneer also is releasing a higher end player so I have that as an option as well.

So I've been testing testing testing the crap out of this player and discovered it's not as bad as I thought it was. It's actually surprising me especially for SACD. WOW it really does a wonderful just playing Multi Channel SACD's. I'm running Diana Krall right now and I'm totally blown away with what I'm hearing. This player is like $249 retail and I think it's on sale right now for like $179.99. Who the hell spends that kind of money on a 4K player that can also play SACD? Well I'm changing my opinion for now or until I can test it against the current 1000ES Sony ES player which I'm gonna bring one home and see what differences it makes vs this very affordable player.

So hear is my new opinion, I think if anyone is looking for a new Blu ray , 4k SACD machine and doesn't want to spend top dollar on a reference level player then look no further then the UDP-X700 from Sony. It's light comes with a small remote but I have a control system so factory remotes are meaningless to me but if people out there use them this one is fine.
    The video quality isn't reference but if you have a Reference TV like I do, it will make the best out of what comes in. This thing doesn't disappoint especially keeping cost in mind. Yes it's quirky and I'm still uncomfortable having it in my rack ( No I'm not a snob but like higher end equipment). Hell my HDMI cable cost most then the player does LOL. I even have a Audioquest Ethernet Cinnamon cable on it and if it has a replacement power cord option a Audioquest power cord would be on it. It has a external power supply in a 12v wall ward. That also bothers me but not everyone is me LOL.
    Dan
  • mantis
    3k5cdk0o2umh.jpg
    Dan