Minidisc

Anyone still holding on to their minidiscs and players?
TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects

Comments

• mpitogompitogo Posts: 263
    Right next to my Rio PMP.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 259
    Would love to get my hands on some of the released music on MD. I remember visiting a B.B. in 1994 and seeing U2 and others with MD albums in retail packaging. That would be so cool to have. I have seen a few around on the net but $$$
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,209
    Is there any advantage to it in terms of sound quality? Or are you just after it for the novelty/collectability aspect?
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Would love to get my hands on some of the released music on MD. I remember visiting a B.B. in 1994 and seeing U2 and others with MD albums in retail packaging. That would be so cool to have. I have seen a few around on the net but $$$

Got Dayens?
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,355
    ...maybe...

;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,524
    No real advantage to sound...its marketing was as a more compact method of carrying digital music.

The concept was great but it was just not pushed hard enough to become a mainstay. Plus the cost vs a regular CD was hard for most people to swallow at that point too. (Worked at Best Buy at the time)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Novelty for sure. I know that my LP’s and hi res cd’s would always do better. Just love the technology.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
  • Danny TseDanny Tse Posts: 5,203
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Anyone still holding on to their minidiscs and players?

I still use a Sony portable MD player and have a component MD player/recorder which I purchased directly from Sony.

When my local Target put the blank MDs on clearance, I purchased all of the blank MDs they had.

Occasionally, I will buy a pre-recorded MD off of eBay. It's more of a "curiosity" for me.
    I have a Sony MX-R35 and a JVC XM-448
    Both work flawlessly. But full disclosure, they are in my audio storage closet (with a bunch of other gear) not hooked up. Supppose I should but I don’t have room in my current furniture. I do love the JVC though. The remote is one of the most unique remotes I have ever seen.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E