Synology & DS audio

When it comes to tech stuff, I am so far behind it all, so now 3+ years into Owning (now my second NAS unit from Synology) I just learned about their DS audio app which is up and running on 2 Android phone LG V20's (wife's and mine) and my sons iphone with such a smooth opperation. Why it took me so long to get this going....well I am not a fast mover anymore, just glad I figured it out. Now to find out why our 2014 Pathfinder's Blue tooth isn't seen in the DS app so my wife can take advantage of it through the car's speakers, how cool will that be? In the meantime I just ordered a cable USB to 3.5mm jack to see if that will work in the car, but won't know until Thursday when the cord arrives. Technology...So far this app is really cool and easy to use.
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited June 2018
    zuul wrote: »
    how do you like the V20? I am leaning towards getting one....

not familiar with synology might have to check it out... although as far as high end android music players go I'm pretty committed to neutron.... it's excellent.

http://neutronmp.com/

Don't know what that reply is all about but ok?? The V20 is a cell phone. I am not thrilled with any cell phones. The DS audio app I started the thread about is for Synology NAS owners that want to access their libraries of music anywhere they go.
    I took a peek at this Neutronmp app you made refrence to and looks like it does not support FLAC format?? Maybe it does, but the DS audio app is more than I need for my crazy library. Thanks and sorry I couldn't be any help on the LG V20. I guess it's ok??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tophatjohnny
    Update, this app is crazy cool. Works like a charm and sounds amazing in the Pathfinder. So cool to be able to access my library from anywhere and have it sounding so good. See ya later to the pay radio we were using. Synology ROCKS!!!!!!
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    I've used DS Audio on the Synology and streamed it to my phone (or any device with the application). It works great as you mentioned.

I use Plex instead now for all my multimedia and do the same thing with that application on my phone to listen to my music anywhere I am at. Plex also affords me the ability to listen to or watch any of my media - including movies. Yes, you can use the Synology Video Station as well for that, but I like everything in one place (and I just like Plex).

The only thing I will caution you about is data usage on your cellular plan. If you are unlimited, then no worries (unless it throttles you at some point). I just want you to be aware of that when streaming music from your home server to your car while driving. It may have been something you were already thinking about, but I would hate for you or someone else to do this an get an overage fee for data usage.

Glad you found this though. It is awesome to have your collection at your finger tips wherever you are in the world (with an internet connection of course).
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • tophatjohnny
    Yes we have unlimmited data on out at&t plan.
    I've used DS Audio on the Synology and streamed it to my phone (or any device with the application). It works great as you mentioned.

I use Plex instead now for all my multimedia and do the same thing with that application on my phone to listen to my music anywhere I am at. Plex also affords me the ability to listen to or watch any of my media - including movies. Yes, you can use the Synology Video Station as well for that, but I like everything in one place (and I just like Plex).

The only thing I will caution you about is data usage on your cellular plan. If you are unlimited, then no worries (unless it throttles you at some point). I just want you to be aware of that when streaming music from your home server to your car while driving. It may have been something you were already thinking about, but I would hate for you or someone else to do this an get an overage fee for data usage.

Glad you found this though. It is awesome to have your collection at your finger tips wherever you are in the world (with an internet connection of course).

Yes we have unlimmited data on out at&t plan. I don't know much about Plex but if you can share (besides watching or streaming movies) which is better for streaming the music files (I'm all music on my NAS) I'd sure love to hear it. Is Plex a free app? Can you search for albums with the Plex app?? Would like to know how to get it up and running. Remember, I'm not the tech type. lol Synology helpped me get the DS audio app installed on my phone and explaind a few things on it opperation. Made it so easy.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Plex works well for music if you are streaming to devices that support google cast. It does not support dlna devices like my various marantz network players. I use JRiver predominantly for that reason to stream from my synology nas.